Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please give the Model 3 CHAdeMO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what it looks like if you have wishful thinking like myself.
IMG_1195.jpg

Has anyone heard when we can expect it to work with the existing adaptor?
If the answer is never then I'll need to sell it.

hmmm, I should hope it is coming some day. Yet as a side note, in the almost 3 years of having a Tesla, I have never need to charge from anything other than a supercharger or at home and I have been across the USA to various locations 4 times. I guess things are different in Canada.

Yep. Chademo and CCS are well developed and growing fast in BC at least. So yah. No longer a deal breaker for us but would be a huuuuuuge asset. I can not understand why it has not been enabled. Makes no sense.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The Tesla superchargers will always be my first choice, but with all the new cars on the road it would be great to have a CHAdeMO or a CCS option in the model 3.

The CHAdeMO adapter I have did come in handy a few times with the model S.

There are enough Superchargers around that a little inconvenience once in a blue moon isn't going to make worth $450 to me.
My use case is probably rare but for me it does make some sense to be able to use CHAdeMO. My work provides free charging for EVs. We are given four hour sessions on the twenty-something L2 ChargePoint stations (so basically 100 miles range) or 1.25 hours on the DC Fast stations (there are currently 2 of them). They already have the Tesla CHAdeMO adapters attached; on metal cables so they don't walk away. It would save me time and would also allow for more Model 3s to charge up during the day. By my calculations, 4 Model 3s can get charged on one L2 station during an 8 hour period, while 6.5 cars could do the same on a single DC Fast.

I would even buy my own CHAdeMO adapter because besides being an emergency charge provider, it supports Tesla with $$$.

Tesla told me in a phone conversation that Model 3's will not work on a CHAdeMO adapter but I saw this post on electrek
"
Though Tesla doesn’t list the $450 adapater as compatible with Model 3 on its online shop, the plugs are the same. Either way, you are going to want to stop at a Supercharger instead of a CHAdeMO charger in most cases.

It’s simply a nice option to have as a backup."

Does anyone know if this is true?

Does anyone know if this is true?
Which part?

Tesla personnel is correct in saying the CHAdeMO adapter does not currently work on a Model 3. It does work with Model S and X.

Electrek.co is correct in saying that both the adapter is not compatible with the Model 3 and that the plugs are the same, as well as the desire to stop at a Supercharger instead of a CHAdeMO charger. They are also correct (IMO) that if the adapter could be made to work with a Model 3, it is a nice option to have in your back pocket.

I was told back in January 2018 (by some people here) that CHAdeMO support was going to be enabled in the future by way of an over-the-air update.

I have a Supercharger Touching trip planned to circumnavigate the lower 48. I'll be stopping each night to free charge to lower trip costs. I just tried to plan that same trip with Chademo or CCS. According to Plugshare.com, there is almost no way it is worth my money getting an adapter. There are so few free stations that are not stealerships.

Now if I had a free highspeed charger in my neighborhood, like Dan in Moorhead, MN with his Jaguar it might eventually pay for itself. So, for now, I can stop stressing that one cannot get charger adapters for the Model 3.

-Randy

I have a Supercharger Touching trip planned to circumnavigate the lower 48. I'll be stopping each night to free charge to lower trip costs. I just tried to plan that same trip with Chademo or CCS. According to Plugshare.com, there is almost no way it is worth my money getting an adapter. There are so few free stations that are not stealerships.

Now if I had a free highspeed charger in my neighborhood, like Dan in Moorhead, MN with his Jaguar it might eventually pay for itself. So, for now, I can stop stressing that one cannot get charger adapters for the Model 3.

-Randy

Yah. The problem presents itself more in Canada. Supercharger network is no where near to being what Chadem/CCS is in a province like BC. We are just to small a market to spend the money on Superchargers. I get that. Kinda sucks though. Takes the model 3 out of the options for our next EV. Can’t afford an S or an X so probably go with a Leaf e plus.

The nearest Supercharger to me is over 600 miles away (unless I cross the international border, in which case its 220 miles). The nearest Chademo/CCS charger is within 2 miles. So yes, an adapter would be great. Tesla has been promising Superchargers all across the Trans-Canada Highway for a couple years now, but no sign of them yet.

Reactions: KJD