Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help rate this deal on 2016 S90D - $36K

Should I:

• Buy

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Pass

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Consider

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we just ordered a 2023 M3P, looking to replace our 2019 M3 LR RWD with a Model S for longer trips and more cargo space.

Got my eyes on this one:
- 2016 90D
- 10/16 build
- FSD both h/w and s/w
- MCU1
- Premium interior
- Premium Connectivity
- All Glass Panoramic Roof
- Price: US$36,000

Thanks!

I voted pass. My reasoning was using it for longer trips and being an older S it will charge slower and cost you time. If the extra time won't be a bother for you then I'd be willing to consider it. No doubt you'll get more space in it!

Reactions: francis_a
I ended up getting a deal about 2 months ago on a Nov build 2016 Model S 90D with all of the following + MCU2 and smart air suspension for 31k. It was a good deal so I had to fly across country to go get it but I ended up passing on it after much thought. I passed because prices seem to keep decreasing quickly and the slower charging (as noted earlier) was something I took into consideration. I figured if I can wait 5 months, with a little extra money I could get a much newer car with newer tech. Feel free to contact me though, as I have researched many things about the car you are looking at!

I ended up getting a deal about 2 months ago on a Nov build 2016 Model S 90D with all of the following + MCU2 and smart air suspension for 31k. It was a good deal so I had to fly across country to go get it but I ended up passing on it after much thought. I passed because prices seem to keep decreasing quickly and the slower charging (as noted earlier) was something I took into consideration. I figured if I can wait 5 months, with a little extra money I could get a much newer car with newer tech. Feel free to contact me though, as I have researched many things about the car you are looking at!
Thanks for your insight especially since you went through the same. Since I will need to let go of my 2019 M3 to get into a new (to me) car, the value of my M3 goes down along with the other models. Guess I just need more patience.

Thanks for your insight especially since you went through the same. Since I will need to let go of my 2019 M3 to get into a new (to me) car, the value of my M3 goes down along with the other models. Guess I just need more patience.
My biggest dealbreaker was the battery and drive unit being out of warranty at the end of 2024. I think I was getting a really good price for the car but didn’t know if I could swallow large costs after warranty expired. If you do end up getting it, I would recommend that the car has the V3 battery (which it probably should due to being a later production 90D).

I just sold my 2016 Model S75 and 2016 Model X90D and ordered 2 MY AWD. Both had around 60K miles and the X had received a new battery in January 2023.

I bought both 2016's in 2018 and 2019 directly from Tesla and both had 4 year/50K mile warranty and free supercharging.

Took delivery of the first MY on 3/12 and expecting delivery of the second on 3/21. Even though is has been less than a week with the MY AWD I'm really happy with it so far.

Reactions: francis_a
It looks reasonable to me. Not a good deal but not a rip off.

I drive a similar model. The charge rate isn't a concern for me. Maybe it's not acceptable for those who drive without ever stopping. I like to take a few breaks.
The slightly longer charging time doesn't really bother me. When I first traveled to FL from MA on the M3 LR, we had to stop every 2.5hrs max anyways for food and toilet breaks or just to stretch out. And I don't charge to 80% all the time, except on few cases where the next supercharger is a little farther away. But mostly to 50-60% just enough to get me to the next one.

It's the battery and DU warranty running out on me in 2024 that worries me more as @Npate2 mentioned above.

The FSD (h/w and s/w) is a big plus on this one though I need to upgrade to MCU2 to get full benefit of the dashcam and sentry.

I just sold my 2016 Model S75 and 2016 Model X90D and ordered 2 MY AWD. Both had around 60K miles and the X had received a new battery in January 2023.

I bought both 2016's in 2018 and 2019 directly from Tesla and both had 4 year/50K mile warranty and free supercharging.

Took delivery of the first MY on 3/12 and expecting delivery of the second on 3/21. Even though is has been less than a week with the MY AWD I'm really happy with it so far.
MY is not out of the question yet but if quite a reach for me at this point. It's the space I need, short of getting an SUV.
I believe the MS has more space than the MY, no?