Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery" Meaning??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they're looking for final payment you should have a MVPA (motor vehicle purchase agreement) in your documents on your account if I'm recalling correctly - do you at least have that? That will have your VIN but it's not unusual to have a MVPA and request for final payment without getting a final delivery date yet, though it should be shortly.

I brought a personal check to delivery. They initiated an ACH based on the account and routing numbers on the check. Showed pending debit on my account that evening and posted the next day.

There is absolutely no reason to pay Tesla early and before delivery. It will not impact receiving your car any earlier or later.

Reactions: glide
In the Banana Republic of Louisiana, thanks to our very efficient Gas Guzzling Dealership Lobbyist, Tesla can not sell a car here. Tesla would not ship a car to me until I pay them. I offered to fly over to Houston to pick up the car but they wouldn't let me do that because they would not be able to provide me with a dealer temporary tag. Pay up front or don't get a car. Car was delivered via Hotshot truck. Worked out fine.

Great, I paid trusting Dennisis..I do have a vin but no delivery date Just says Between AUG 26-Sep 1.
5YJYGDEF3MF251685
First, I’m sure you’ll be fine. Yes there’s always a chance not having paid would give you more leverage but in reality when people are waiting 6 months for delivery and people are getting more for their used Tesla’s than new if you refused delivery someone else would snap it up in a second. Many people pay before they accept delivery either because they have no choice or they choose to - I did last year myself. And it sounds like you’ll have yours anytime now so enjoy! I’ve bought two and I’ll never go back 👍. Oh and second you shouldn’t post your whole VIN.

Last edited:
The delivery associate or whatever their title is will pressure you to pay early but you can pay once you see the car. They'll pressue you to pay via ACH before the delivery but the delivery date is usually set shortly after you obtain your VIN. Once you hand over your money, you'll find they will not be as attentive when you pick up your car. They will expect you to accept it and won't hang around while you inspect the car. Look over the car and make sure it meets expectations with no major issues and they can arrange ACH that very day. It's amazing how fast your money gets sucked out of your account. The car is great, the service is about average to not so good. Depends on who you get. Still better than my past experiences with Dealerships.

The delivery associate or whatever their title is will pressure you to pay early but you can pay once you see the car. They'll pressue you to pay via ACH before the delivery but the delivery date is usually set shortly after you obtain your VIN. Once you hand over your money, you'll find they will not be as attentive when you pick up your car. They will expect you to accept it and won't hang around while you inspect the car. Look over the car and make sure it meets expectations with no major issues and they can arrange ACH that very day. It's amazing how fast your money gets sucked out of your account. The car is great, the service is about average to not so good. Depends on who you get. Still better than my past experiences with Dealerships.
Sure is amazing, I paid at 10 pm and by 11 am the next day the money is gone.. I hope there's less issues than my first MY that needed the whole A pillar to be repainted plus 10 or more other issues as well..

lol this is why I made a video about it
But they really pressure you to pay for the car before delivery as well as before you can inspect it
but you CAN and SHOULD inspect the inside of the car before you pay because it's possible just tell them your friend did it at another service center
I also paid via ACH but got charged twice for the car which I believe is a one time thing but still possible so keep that in mind