Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PLUGGED IN AND LOSING CHARGE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 90% charge my NEW MX charges to 294 miles. Yesterday I didn't drive the car and left it plugged in. I have it set to charge overnight. I woke up this morning to my car saying that the charge is complete and reading 285 miles. Can anyone explain what happened with this?

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Vampire drain. It's normal. The car doesn't charge continuously when it's plugged in, rather it starts charging again when the level drops by about 3%. So at 285 miles it should start charging back up top 294 miles soon.
Thanks for the response. Very new at this but loving the technology and advancement TESLA has made in the industry. Save the PLANET any way possible!

Ok. So it’s a matter of settings. What would be a reason for NOT selecting power save mode?

Thanks.

Mainly wanting to jump in and go instantly. With Power Saving not enabled, the car will go into Drive the second you sit down if you choose.

With power saving enabled, you may find yourself waiting up to five seconds or so while the car wakes up before it'll let you drive.

Reactions: linkster
Mainly wanting to jump in and go instantly. With Power Saving not enabled, the car will go into Drive the second you sit down if you choose.

With power saving enabled, you may find yourself waiting up to five seconds or so while the car wakes up before it'll let you drive.

Ahhhh. That makes sense. It takes about that long in my leaf. Probably something you get used to.

Thank you. Great information. By the time I get a Tesla I’ll be a freakin expert. Great forum.

You probably lost the 9 miles over a couple of days. Most likely it did not charge at all on the day you didn't drive it, since it wasn't 3% lower than the charge limit at that time. It should charge tonight and should have close to the full 90% in the morning.

Does the displayed range not change based on how you drove the last so many miles - power consumption?

Correct. Tesla displayed range is "rated miles" - how far you'd get if you drove like the EPA test. It will not change based on your driving history at any time.

The only place you'll find an estimated mileage based on how you're driving the car is in the energy app in the center screen, where it has an estimate based on the average of the last five/fifteen/thirty miles depending on what range you have set.

How much energy is drained overnight with Power Saving ON vs OFF?

Your car is brand new? The energy saving is always on. IOW, Tesla removed the ability to turn it off, on newer cars. Even my 2018 I cannot turn that function off.

My 2018 loses a percent or two per night (I can't relate to rated miles, so I display energy percent). But I have a Wifi router, a small Linux server and some radio equipment that run continuously, maybe 2 amps total. But that is insignificant compared to the cabin overheat protection, which keeps the cabin below 105º. I suspect in Dallas the air conditioner runs a lot this time of year, when you are not around.

Last edited: