Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

*Update* 2010 Roadster 2.0 VIN 869 (2.5 Dashboard) Fusion Red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this roadster for sale in this section about a year ago, when I was only toying with the idea of selling it. Now I have a Model S slated for delivery in May so I've dropped the price a bit, upgraded a few things, and made sure this car is 100% perfect for its new owner. I'm posting this new thread since some of the information has changed; please ignore my old thread...

As with any roadster, this one has a bit of a history. It was originally offered as a prize on The Price is Right gameshow, but nobody won it. So Tesla took it back and leased it to the first owner, then it was purchased by the second owner who I bought it from. As far as I can tell, they both took great care of the car, as have I.

The car only had a few options installed at the factory:
  • Solar Guard Windshield
  • Paint Armor (clear protection film on many panels of the car)
  • Electronics Group
The previous owners also purchased:
  • Color-matched Hard-top ($3,200 option)
  • Car Cover ($350 option)
  • 240V Universal Mobile Connector "UMC" ($1,500 option)
  • CAN JR J1772 Adapter ($700 value)

The stock soft-top is included as well and it has only been used about twice during the entire life of the car (it looks brand spankin' new aside from a little dust).

I also recently (like last week) spent $3,000 to have Tesla upgrade the ugly peeling halogen headlights to a brand new set of the optional HID headlights. Very few roadsters have this option, and it's one you will want. The halogen headlights are downright dangerous to drive with, and they will inevitably begin peeling (see the numerous forum threads on this). Tesla no longer manufactures the halogen version, so you'll end up spending $3,000 like I did for the HID headlights. This is all done and sorted out on this car.

I also did a few upgrades to the car after purchasing it:
  • First and foremost I couldn't stand the single-DIN stereo/GPS, so I upgraded the dashboard to the Roadster 2.5 version with the double-DIN sized stereo opening. Tesla used to offer this conversion as a service, but stopped doing so years ago. I was however able to purchase all of the parts from them so the entire conversion was done using official Tesla parts. My contacts at Tesla told me that it's very likely that I purchased the last set of these parts in existence.
  • In the new dashboard I installed a Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX head unit, which has pretty much every bell and whistle known to man, including XM Radio, HD Radio, GPS Navigation, Rear View Camera (installed on rear diffuser), Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB and HDMI inputs, and the list goes on and on. Check out the Pioneer web site if you want to dig into specifics, but it's an awesome head unit.
  • Installed Carbotech AX6 brake pads to make this car actually stop when you press on the brake pedal.
  • Installed rubber brake buffers to eliminate brake pad rattle (which is super annoying and you really don't want any, because it'll make you want to shoot yourself)
  • Upgraded the front wheel well liners from the older plastic style to the newer fabric style. This reduces road noise noticeably.
  • I just installed brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on the rear, not more than 200 miles ago. I only got 3,500 miles out of the stock AD07 tires during "easy" driving. These PSS tires should last much longer, yet seem to grip just as well, and are MUCH quieter.
  • Installed an OVMS module so you can monitor and control the car's systems from anywhere using your mobile phone.
Currently the battery charges to ~167 ideal miles in the standard charge mode, after letting it balance the pack for awhile. In range mode it will charge to ~220 ideal miles. As I type this, OVMS is telling me that the current CAC is 142.45. The ESS and PEM were replaced early in the car's life, and have been problem-free since then. Current mileage is ~26,000 miles.

Condition wise the car looks amazing, and I just had it thoroughly detailed and polished by a well known local exotic car detailer. The paint is in excellent shape aside from a few small rock chips that the previous owner had repaired, and some scratches on the door sills where the tires kick up road grit. The interior is great as well, with no tears or abnormal wear on the seats or carpet. The wheels are 100% perfect except for a small bit of curb rash on the front left wheel, which was repaired/painted by the previous owner. I actually didn't even notice it the whole time I owned the car, until I took close up photos of the wheels today.

I'm asking $67,000 for the car, which I believe is a VERY fair price.

Please feel free to message me with any questions, and I'm happy to supply logs and service records to anyone who is seriously interested in the car. For anyone interested in traveling to see the car, I'm local approximately 15 minutes from the RDU airport.

Here is a link to a gallery loaded with high resolution photos of the car:
2010 Tesla Roadster 2.0 #869

upload_2017-3-26_16-8-14.png

upload_2017-3-26_16-11-20.png

upload_2017-3-26_16-11-46.png

upload_2017-3-26_16-12-3.png

upload_2017-3-26_16-12-23.png

upload_2017-3-26_16-12-37.png

upload_2017-3-26_16-13-1.png

upload_2017-3-26_16-13-8.png

upload_2017-3-26_16-13-17.png

Hey I would like to give James an endorsement on his description of the car. About a year ago I started looking at roadsters and was surprised to find out that he lives just a few miles away. James was nice enough to let me meet him at a local charging station and check out the car. It's a stunning car, and with the color matched hardtop and the 2.5 dash with a killer head unit, it's one of the best upgraded roadsters out there for this price. After researching the details of the difficulty in upgrading to a double din dash, and apparently the cost and difficulty in getting parts, this car is certainly unique and not sure other 2.0 roadsters will ever be able to be upgraded. I must say that the double din head unit makes a huge difference. Also, apple car play is very nice, his car was the first time I had seen it (since I have used it in rental cars). When we left my only concern with the car was the peeling headlights....well, looks like that issue is resolved now! And James is one of the nicest guys I've met, he was enthusiastic and obviously passionate about the car. He also entertained all my dumb questions at the time! And yes, this endorsement is unsolicited, just thought I would provide some input on the car.

Hey I would like to give James an endorsement on his description of the car. About a year ago I started looking at roadsters and was surprised to find out that he lives just a few miles away. James was nice enough to let me meet him at a local charging station and check out the car. It's a stunning car, and with the color matched hardtop and the 2.5 dash with a killer head unit, it's one of the best upgraded roadsters out there for this price. After researching the details of the difficulty in upgrading to a double din dash, and apparently the cost and difficulty in getting parts, this car is certainly unique and not sure other 2.0 roadsters will ever be able to be upgraded. I must say that the double din head unit makes a huge difference. Also, apple car play is very nice, his car was the first time I had seen it (since I have used it in rental cars). When we left my only concern with the car was the peeling headlights....well, looks like that issue is resolved now! And James is one of the nicest guys I've met, he was enthusiastic and obviously passionate about the car. He also entertained all my dumb questions at the time! And yes, this endorsement is unsolicited, just thought I would provide some input on the car.

Thanks for the great feedback! :) I enjoyed hanging out and chatting EV stuff with you back then. The peeling headlights really bugged me as well, and I wanted to make sure the next owner doesn't have to feel that way. The new HID headlights are awesome!

Let's get this roadster into a great new home with a TMC member who will continue to care for it. New price is $62,000 which I think most people would agree is a bargain for one of these cars in such great shape, with a known history.

My Model S has completed production so the garage spot would be nice to have back. :)

Thanks! I'm the kind of person who hates selling something in worse shape than when I bought it, so I did everything I could to make this roadster enjoyable for the next owner.

For anyone seriously interested, I've had the car posted on ebay and the auction ends today. The reserve price has been met, so your last shot at this car would be to bid on it in the next few hours.

2010 Tesla Roadster Base Convertible 2-Door | eBay

Reactions: AtAge19
Thanks! I'm the kind of person who hates selling something in worse shape than when I bought it, so I did everything I could to make this roadster enjoyable for the next owner.

For anyone seriously interested, I've had the car posted on ebay and the auction ends today. The reserve price has been met, so your last shot at this car would be to bid on it in the next few hours.

2010 Tesla Roadster Base Convertible 2-Door | eBay

Good luck! I'm considering selling mine this year as well. I'm nearby in Durham.

Reactions: jimmyz80
IMG_0487.jpg
Interesting....did not notice this before James, but your car had the upgraded "sport" motor with 288hp? That is odd, never seen this on other roadsters that weren't the full sport package, I don't think? Typo? Oddball config where motor was installed and they backed off from completing it as a sport due to being used as a marketing car for a game show? Did you ever get an explanation of this config? But, the VIN doesn't reflect the sport motor......

I'm sure @TEG could explain?

IMG_0488.jpg

That's the sport motor as indicated by the HP / torque output....again, unless this is a typo or a marketing spec "stretch".

Interesting, I watched the video again and they do specifically state it's a 288hp roadster but yeah no sport badging...I'm thinking the marketing dept. at Tesla had the updated motor installed for the show.

Well, at least this will be a "delighter" for the new owner!

Last edited:
Interesting....did not notice this before James, but your car had the upgraded "sport" motor with 288hp? That is odd, never seen this on other roadsters that weren't the full sport package, I don't think? Typo? Oddball config where motor was installed and they backed off from completing it as a sport due to being used as a marketing car for a game show? Did you ever get an explanation of this config? But, the VIN doesn't reflect the sport motor......

I'm sure @TEG could explain?

They started quoting 288hp for both sport and non-sport.
The sport had higher torque (295 lb-ft)
sport-non-sport.png