Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Aero Wheels - On or Off

For aesthetics, keep the aero covers on or off (with kit)?

• Keep aero covers off with wheel cap kit

Votes: 77 53.8%
  • Keep aero covers on

Votes: 66 46.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took off my aero wheel covers and put on a the wheel cap kit. I think it looks sick. I showed it to my friend, and he basically said that yeah, it’s cool, but now my Tesla looks like any other car. His words kinda stuck with me, and I’m debating if I should stick with it or not. I still love both styles, but I wanted to mix it up. Just wondering what you guys did!

I still plan to use the covers for road trips since it seems to impact range at highway speeds.

Personal opinion, which I'm only sharing because asked:
The car looks best, by far, with the premium 19 or 20 inch wheels.
The car looks "unique" with the Euro caps. I like them. But, plastic caps on a $50,000 car?
The car looks fine but kinda blah with the caps off.
So, if I had the 18's, I'd probably mostly leave the caps on. Particularly considering the increased efficiency.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
When I have my 18" Winters on, I remove the Aero covers and put the wheel caps on. My personal view is that the car looks much better without the Aero covers. (When I am standing next to the car and I look at the covers, I think they look pretty good, but when I step back and look at the whole car, I find the wheel covers make the wheels, for some reason, look smaller and I don't like the look).

But any road trip, I put them on.

Like Birdman325 I take them off for city and short trip driving. In busy parking lots it's too easy for thieves to just pop them off and go. Yeah there's Sentry and going to the cops... Hassle!
For long drives those Aeros are a nice advantage against drag at highway speed.
I actually flip flop on which look I like better. The rims give it a stealthy vibe while the Aeros look make it more sleek. Spinning over 55 or 60 MPH, the Aeros look WAY better, IMHO. :cool:

I thought I’d hate the Aeros and when I finally saw the car in person I really dug them. I think it has a lot to do with the contrast with the silver and I swear my Aeros seem much darker than pics I’ve seen.

84AA7026-FA20-49D1-B2B1-9E00FEE5CE50.jpeg

Reactions: badiban and house9
Our two Model 3's are both white and we have cap kits for both cars. It was novel for a while to run with just the mags and caps and it does look nice. But so do the Aero covers. Ironically, both my wife and I have taken to leaving the Aero covers on. The efficiency gain is impressive and it feels like the cars will coast (almost) forever! I'm amazed how slight of a downgrade it takes for the Model 3 to coast in neutral while accelerating past 65 or 70 mph! I've had aerodynamic cars before but they were nothing like the Model 3!

I took a quick trip in my Performance Model 3 to Whitefish, Montana last summer mid-week and the highways were quite empty, some of them very little traveled) so I ended up doing a lot of cruising at 90+. One morning at first light I found I-90 literally deserted. I cruised at even higher speeds for about an hour and was amazed at the efficiency! Of course, I had the Aero covers on. You can just feel the car slicing through the air at higher speeds so effortlessly. I love it!

If you do a lot of highway driving it definitely pays to use the Aero covers. Think about this: Since battery life and battery degradation is basically proportional to how much work it does, running the Aero covers will extend your battery life by around 5% if you are often at freeway speeds. :)

Reactions: tren01t and badiban