Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: FWD on Model Y

Would you want FWD on the Model Y?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would like FWD, but seeing how this is suppose to be a more economical vehicle it makes better sense as a premium option. Such as lower battery capacity with conventional doors to optional upgrades such as higher capacity battery, all wheel drive, falcon wings, etc.
I think that would be hard to do. FWD doors is a very intrusive construction. They would need production lines for both chassis.

Reactions: gavine
In the hopes of getting more honest replies, should be specific and state X owners please.

Non owning peeps troll the 3 forum with no Tesla ownership at all and not even a reservation for a 3 and with 1500 posts.

I love the ingress and egress of the FWD.

It’s a wild idea but having hundreds of thousands of Y with FWD would improve the FWD of the X in the future.

Yes it’s a complicated system but everything gets better with time and practice. 500k cars worth would be good practice.

Cost is the real barrier to circumvent but I don’t know what premium that is over regular doors.

I'm torn on it. My X is currently in service because the right FWD has gone out of alignment over time. It now closes much further down than it used to and it actually deforming the door seal at the top. I like the theory and most of the experience in practice of FWD but they don't seem to have it figured out exactly right yet. Putting it on a lower priced (higher volume) car is asking for a lot more service visits.

The things they need to figure out on FWD, if they want to continue using them in the future are:

• Obstacle avoidance - They're still not that good at determining where they can fully open. Often they just open a bit making ingress/egress worse than it would be with any other kind of door.
• Alignment issues - Aligning panels that are double hinged is hard. It's even hard to do on corner cabinet doors. The hinges loosen up over time and the alignment sags.
• Body alignment - Both of my doors have a spot on the door frame that are ground down to bare metal because there's a trim piece on the door itself that gets smushed into the door frame when it closes. The SC says that they all have this. Their solution is to dab in some touch-up paint and put a circle of Paint Protection Film on the spot. That doesn't do anything and it looks just as bad as when I took it in for the issue last year. It's ridiculous to have a car that damages itself in the course of normal operation.

I really can't see the Model Y having FWD doors because of the cost and all the hassle it caused on the X.

The big question for me is will the next generation X still have FWDs? Or will it be one of those one-off features that nobody dares to try again? I have a feeling Tesla will do something different, but still quite distinctive. This is the VW I.D. concept that has minivan style rear doors, but without the ugly sliding mechanism (hinged instead from the lower sill). It doesn't open up the roof panel like the Tesla FWDs, but otherwise looks very practical:-

(go to 0:45 for rear door opening)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker