Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: FWD on Model Y

Would you want FWD on the Model Y?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm asking this poll here on the Model X forum because I want real opinions from people who have lived with the falcon wing doors for awhile, not just demo'd it in the store or just read about it.

With the rumors of the Model Y unveil sometime this year, all I have been reading online is that people want normal doors on the Model Y instead of FWD. My personal feeling is that having two kids and after living with the Model X for almost two years, I love my FWD and want it on the Model Y.

If you're a Model X owner and have had the car for more than a year, having lived with it through all four seasons, would you want a FWD on the Model Y?

Absolutely would want them.

Absolutely expect the Y will not have them.

FWDs sit perfectly on the intersection of “unnecessary,” “really useful,” “going to be such a pain once they are out of warranty,” and “such a cool experience.”

I love em but I can’t see any rational person including them on the Y.

FWDs are amazing when you have to strap kids into their car seats for everything else they are a huge hassle. These are a few examples of what I have to deal with on a regular basis:

- Whenever you park, you have to make sure there are no overhead tree branches, pipes or beams before opening the doors as these are not always detected by the sensors. If they are detected, get ready to contort yourself out of the car since the doors would only open partially.

- Can't quickly drop-off or pickup passengers while double-parked because the doors are relatively slow and there's a risk of them getting hit by oncoming cars while opening/closing.

- For first time passengers, opening the doors using the external handle requires a dance where they get close to press the door handle then have to jump out of the way to make sure the door doesn't hit them while opening. They do learn after the second/third time, but I don't think there should be a learning curve for opening a car door.

- As has been reported many times, FWDs are complex and can suffer from several issues like squeaks, misalignment and phantom obstacle detection. These issues can be fixed but may take several tries. That being said many customers have no issues whatsoever, so YMMV.

I think it wouldn't make sense for the Model Y to have FWDs, especially if there's a need to cut costs.

Model X owner for 14 month's. Love my FWD.
IMG_3212.jpg

I love the Falcon wings on our Model X, but I think they should remain reserved for the X. The Model Y should not have them in my opinion.

If they do put them on the Y, maybe they will be manually-operated? No need for them to be motorized with sensors, etc. It would take the complexity and cost out of them. I would be perfectly fine with opening them manually just like any other car door.

Reactions: Magus
With the rumors of the Model Y unveil sometime this year, all I have been reading online is that people want normal doors on the Model Y instead of FWD. My personal feeling is that having two kids and after living with the Model X for almost two years, I love my FWD and want it on the Model Y.

If you're a Model X owner and have had the car for more than a year, having lived with it through all four seasons, would you want a FWD on the Model Y?

As a model X owner, no I wouldn't because I would want something to clearly distinguish the Model X vs the Model Y. Just as the 3 vs the S there is enough difference that one or the other drives you to buy it. (ie, RFS/2nd Dash) and I think the FWD can be on of those things.

As for living with the FWD. It's a love hate relationship.

Love: With kids, I LOVE being able to plop them down into a carseat instead of trying to duck them in (and admittingly occasionalyl knocking their noggings)
Hate: My kid isn't the brightest and it's been more than once the FWD has shoved the kid onto the ground.

Love: It just cool and unique.

Hate: It gets too much attention

Love: In tight spots, it still offers full exiting range and ample room to scoot out.
Hate: In tight spots, it doesn't always open fully, limiting your full exiting range compared to a minivan.

Love: The FWD works as an umbrella and shields you from rain while you futz around in the back.
Hate: Occasionally adds snow and rain to your rear seats if raining/snowing heavily.

Love: The lights in the doors act as an overhead lamp and gives a lot of visibility at nights once it's raised.
Hate: *BEEP* Surprise! Tesla's built in reaction time testing mode initiated!

Reactions: MXWing and gjunky
Falcon wings are kind of cool but I would prefer not to have them. As much as I like my X I wish it was simpler. Like a regular car with regular door. Too many motors to break down and replace later. And with both wings open in the winter it gets real cold real quick, especially when I'm trying to buckle in three small kids.

Like some have posted it's a love hate relationship with the FWD. Mine has been in for adjustments already. Now my sensors aren't working and won't detect any obstacles in the way. I have an appointment next week to have have taken care of. The main reason I think they shouldn't include FWD's on the Model Y is the nightmare the service centers will have fixing issues with the doors. It's bad enough now that any appointment you make is several weeks out. As more and more Tesla's are sold service centers will be overloaded and this is one less thing to worry about.

I don't qualify to vote as only had a Model X for a month. But I find the doors are great for seating small kids, but probably not worth all the cost and complexity overall. I very much doubt they will feature in the Model Y for budget reasons and that's fine by me. Maybe they could simplify the concept like I saw recently on a VW prototype that had rear doors that swung upward and backward. I thought they were a good compromise between standard and FWD doors.

Would like FWD, but seeing how this is suppose to be a more economical vehicle it makes better sense as a premium option. Such as lower battery capacity with conventional doors to optional upgrades such as higher capacity battery, all wheel drive, falcon wings, etc.