Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How many $/hour is full self driving worth to you?

How much $ per hour is self-driving worth to you personally?

• $0

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • $1-5

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • $5-10

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • $10-15

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • $15-20

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • $20-30

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • $30-$50

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • $50-100

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the purposes of answering this poll, "self driving" to me means you still have to legally be in the driver seat, but the car will not nag you to touch the steering wheel and you personally feel safe reading a book, napping, using your laptop or tablet in good weather conditions. This is the state I anticipate AP 2.0 with full self driving turned on will be in roughly 12-18 months from now.

When we get to the point that someone is building an autonomous office/luxury condo on wheels I will do a new poll. :)

Please only answer this question if you already own a Model S/X, have one on order, or are seriously considering purchasing one or another car in its price range. If you're in line for a Model 3 and plan to load it up past $70K go ahead and respond also. I ask this only because I'd like to see how folks who spend this kind of money on cars will pay for real self driving (not just Autopilot 1.0 or its equivalent).

For point of comparison, if you work a 40 hour work week (even if you live off your investments just pretend for the sake of discussion the time you spend minding your capital is directly compensated at some hourly rate), any time off is paid vacation or sick days, and you get no bonuses or benefits your pre-tax compensation works out to roughly:

$100K = $50 / hr
$200K = $100 / hr
$300K = $150 / hr
$400K = $200 / hr
$500K = $250 / hr

Before anyone complains there are no 40 hr/wk folks earning $500K/yr - just extrapolate. Imagine an 80 hr/ wk workaholic law partner, i-banker, entrepreneur or Midwestern neurosurgeon pulling down roughly $1M and chop the work week in half. There are surely a number of folks on this board in that bracket or even much higher.

I also make the assumption that people will value self driving at some fraction much lower than the value of their hourly earnings at their business or profession.

Finally, I created larger dollar ranges at the high end of the scale on the assumption that fewer people would be willing to pay $20/hr or more - but that those who do will be less price sensitive than those at the lower end of the scale.

For yourself, you can do a simple calculation after thinking about how much self driving is worth to you to figure out how much value a self driving Tesla will return - the lifetime number of miles you will drive the car, divided by your average mph, multiplied by the percentage of those miles you use self driving and then finally by the $/hr you value the feature.

Last edited: