Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - How many miles on your *motor*

How many miles does your non-D Model S large motor have on it?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After seeing the motor rebuild threads on here and seeing some of (IMHO questionable) design choices Tesla put into the Non-Dual (large) motor rear motors I'm curious if *anyone* has actually reached a high mileage on one of these motors?

All the high mileage Model S cars I've seen have been through many motors replaced under warranty. I might be wrong but I haven't found a single Model S large motor that has lasted more than 60k miles before replacement. I've read about lots of Tesla's with high miles on the cars themselves, just not the motors.

BTW I'm not trying to troll, I'd love to be shown wrong, I own a 122k mile Model S myself and yes it has a replacement motor. A "Q" revision.

FYI is attached the motor I'm talking about:

tesla-model-s-drive-unit-complete-ready-to-run-1.jpg

I managed to find the previous owner of my car and found out when the motor was changed; he said 2016 because of whining sounds. So considering his yearly mileage it means my motor has about 50-60k on it now. We have warranty for 3 more years and wife will put about 60k more miles on the car in that time, so my motor will have 110-120k miles on it by then..

Had the original drive unit replaced under warranty at 90K miles on our 11/13 built S85 with about 1 year left on the warranty. "Whirring" noise started around 60K miles between 20-40mph. One day I got a bunch of warnings on the IC from "Car may not restart, Top speed and acceleration reduced, Regenerative braking system disabled." Tesla Service replaced the drive unit, HV battery contactors, HVAC drain hose, pryo fuse, and 12V battery on that visit.

I'm thinking about starting a new poll to see how many 2012-2016 owners have over 125K miles on their original battery packs and drive units.