Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] MCU Restarts - Please read

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update from my other post. Please vote - I am really trying to go to the SC tomorrow with some numbers in my hand

--------------------------------------------
Guys, really hope to get the word out on this so here's a more detailed explanation on the situation with my M3.

I took delivery on 1/12/2019 - paid cash for the car (no loan through Tesla). Drove out with the car around 4:30pm eastern. About 5 minutes into my drive back the MCU rebooted while I was on the highway. The sudden loss of the only instrumentation that shows how fast I'm going baffled me at first but I shrugged it off thinking it might be the "calibration" thats supposed to happen for the first 50 miles. I drove straight to a supercharge to give that a shot - a total of 30ish miles of driving and within this time, it rebooted about 2-3 times.

Charged the car up for a while (my first visit to the supercharger so I was excited to try it out) and then drove around for a while and had it happen 2-3 more times. At this point I was thinking there's a bug in the software version (the car came with 48.xxxx and I was advised to update ASAP) and didn't think much of it. Got home finally after driving a bit more and started the upgrade around 2am. It finished successfully and I just thought that that will take care of it.

Next day (Sunday 1/13/2019) I drove the car around for a total of around 100 or so miles and had the MCU crash/reboot anywhere between 20-25 times. Completely random - no pattern that I could see. It would happen on the highway doing 75mph, in the city doing 25mph, sitting idle at a light, getting out of the car, getting in the car, pretty much all situations. I'll point out that when the display finishes rebooting, all options before the crash are restored (LTE takes a while to come back on so a blank map is displayed). This includes EAD or Steer Assist if it was activated and even the cruise control. Even during the restart, the Steer assist keeps the steering the car and in lane.

What you don't know however, for those 20-30 seconds is the speed at which you're traveling (REALLY?), if the turn signal is on (no blinker sound), whether you're in Drive or Reverse and any other instrumentation.

Took the car back to the dealership on 1/14/2019. The screen restarted again 2-3 times when I was commuting 40 miles to work on the highway. Dropped the car off and picked up a loaner after a lot of debating with the sales advisor. Said they'll bump me up on the service queue and get me a diagnosis asap.

1/16/2019 5:00pm I get a call from the SA that my VIN has 2 firmware (or remnants of old + the new) running and that's causing the crash. They are uploading a new custom firmware and I can pick up the car at 10am the next day.

1/16/2019 5:15pm SA calls me back saying they need to keep the car because that's not going to fix the issue INFACT it is now a known bug and is affecting M3's nationwide. Tesla is working on a fix - no ETA. They would like to keep my car until the firmware is released, then fix and return it to me washed. I said ok.

1/16/2019 7:00pm - My sales guy calls me and says I have 2 options - 1) to ask for a refund under the 3 day policy (which he claims expires tonight) or 2) pickup the car as is tomorrow morning as-is (with SC's knowledge of a buggy firmware) or incur storage fees ($100 a day)

For those still reading, here's a catch for the refund: it takes 7-10 weeks to process the refund back to you. You are responsible for any interest charges with your bank.

I asked him to setup a meeting with the managers tomorrow to discuss my options. I am absolutely not taking a car that resets the MCU completely randomly causing a loss of speedometer until it is fixed.

Interested in advise/suggestions.

TLDR; The MCU in the car reboots very frequently while driving. Service Center says firmware has a known issue that causes MCU reboots - it's affecting M3's nationwide. Says I need to pick the car up as-is or incur service fees i.e. they will not keep the car in the lot and wait for a firmware update to come out - you're on your own.

I’ll throw in my 2 cents, as someone who picked up a car with multiple aesthetic issues (and subsequent software issues) but kept the car anyways. They still haven’t fixed the physical things but the software bugs all appear to be ironed out. My car used to drop LTE signal almost daily (and not reconnect unless rebooted). That has been fixed. The web browser had about a >50% non working condition (after the LTE issue was fixed) that required reboots to fix. Now that appears to be resolved. The screen would often reboot itself on getting into the car. That doesn’t happen anymore. These were all quietly fixed OTA with various timelines for resolution of the issues. Yes, it involved multiple emails (or just bug reports through the car verbal commands), but in the end it all got fixed. I’m not saying this is what you should do, but I went from feeling like I was screwed over by getting a buggy car and convinced that there was something wrong with whatever was responsible for internet in my car, to having a car that does all these things just fine. I think Trevor from the M3OC YouTube channel made a comment many months ago about how Teslas are not always perfect on arrival, but that the company will take care of you and fix the issues in the end. I still have a car that needs a handful of things changed out, but I’m still happy with it, and convinced that they will get taken care of in the end, to my satisfaction. The car is amazing, and once these little bugs are ironed out, you’ll love it. Sounds like you want the car, and it’s a big hassle to return then re-buy the same car, so I’d say to take a bit of a leap of faith, and know that many have been in similar situations and don’t appear to end up unsatisfied all that often.