Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S 90D Sluggish Touch Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here, just bought a used 2016 Model S 90D with very low mileage(less than 20K miles) and free unlimited supercharge, loving it, however I noticed that the touchscreen can get quite sluggish at times, restart the console (hold both buttons) as others suggested would work OK for a bit then became less responsive again. Reading posts here people are paying about $2000 to upgrade the MCU, but according to Tesla, this is on the recall list, here:

The question I have is, do I need to pay for upgrade or this is a recall? Thanks in advance.

IMO it should be fixed because of the recall. Our 2017 had the same problem
and replacing that part (a board I guess, not just the emmc?) fixed it.
Early software over-used the little 8GB device (it is a memory chip)
and the replacement
will be 64GB and the software no longer over-uses it.

The screen is operating badly because the chip is failing.
The screen will operate much better. Get it fixed.

Upvote 0
The eMMC recall is free and will help with the black screens and freezing issues. I got a notice via the Tesla app that my eMMC should be replaced. I had it done under the recall and drove around for a few months but maps were still super slow to load, calculating routes took forever, still no voice commands and eventually upgraded to MCU2. I paid $1,750 before tax and you get both screens replaced and new hardware. It's worth every penny if you have the funds to upgrade to MCU2.

Upvote 0
The mmc recall isn't all that related to your sluggish screen. It has to do with an eventual outright failure of the drive. It'll help to get it replaced but not all that much.

Upgrading to mcu2 is really the way to go.
This. I had my MCU replaced under the recall in the hopes that it would make the interface more responsive. The difference was negligible at best. I upgraded my 2015 to MCU2 6 months later.

Upvote 0