Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] Surprised 100D only cost 3000 extra? Missed the boat?

Surprised that 100D only cost 3000 extra? (Model S and X)

• Wow, it is the bargain of the century!! Ordering one now, or switching my order!

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Great value, but still a very expensive car

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Oh crap, the value of my 90D just dropped like a rock with 3k difference

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • God, I already ordered/received 90D, unable to switch. Pissed that I just missed 100D!

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • A bit disappointed that I missed 100D. But the best time to buy tech product is always next year.

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • I am lucky. Able to switch my order with free unlimited supercharging to 100D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will still buy 90D and save 3000 dollars

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I am keeping or still order 60 or 75 kwh battery

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • It is fine. I will wait for 110D or 120D next year

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 17 23.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price difference in Europe also is 7000€ (> 7000$) vs 3.000$ in the US. I am wondering if this is e.g. justified with a different free supercharging policy, not suppressing free SC in that market (same question for Canada)

But they didn't lower the price of the 60, 75, 90 or P100D, so why do you think they gave you a $2k discount for the lack of FUSC on the 100D?

You are math challenged. 3k is the visible increase. 2k is the hidden increase.

Subtraction of FUSC is negative equity.

Let's make it simple.

You used to get a dozen doughnuts with sprinkles for 12 dollars. Sprinkles were valued at 2 dollars.

Now you get a dozen doughnuts for 13 dollars but you don't get sprinkles.

Did the price raise by one dollar or three?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Answer my doughnut common core math question if you can please.

Someone astutely mentioned how much the p90 to p100 "really" cost and you voted them down because you are bad at math.

Show me where FUSC cost $2,000. On the original Model S 60 it cost $2,000 to activate the DC fast charging hardware and enable FUSC. Activating the DC fast charging hardware by itself, so you could use the CHAdeMO adapter, cost $1,400. So the FUSC option only cost $600 for the cars that you had to buy it for. (It was baked in to the price of almost all Teslas.) And when Tesla was reporting the cost that they were setting aside for Supercharging they listed it as $500/car.

Surely the lifetime 400kWh/year Supercharging has some value and at CA rates, $0.20/kWh, that is $80/year. So if you keep the car 5 years that is worth up to $400. So I'll give you that the current Supercharing option is valued about $200 less than the old one. Sure for some people think that FUSC is worth a lot more than $200 extra, but going back to your doughnut problem some people value sprinkles way more than others, and isn't relevant.

Last edited:
Show me where FUSC cost $2,000. On the original Model S 60 it cost $2,000 to activate the DC fast charging hardware and enable FUSC. Activating the DC fast charging hardware by itself, so you could use the CHAdeMO adapter, cost $1,400. So the FUSC option only cost $600 for the cars that you had to buy it for. (It was baked in to the price of almost all Teslas.) Surely the lifetime 400kWh/year Supercharging has some value and at CA rates, $0.20/kWh, that is $80/year. So if you keep the car 5 years that is worth up to $400. So I'll give you that the current Supercharing option is valued about $200 less than the old one. Sure for some people think that FUSC is worth a lot more than $200 extra, but going back to your doughnut problem some people value sprinkles way more than others, and isn't relevant.

The point is you voted someone down because they said they lost equity which they valued at 2000 and that was obvlivious to you in your response.

How Tesla "prices" things is irrelevant because it's calculated into the retailer pricing.

The price premium can be represented via one of two ways to the consumer.

3000 + X where X is the actual number that they spent on electricity beyond the free credits.

3000 + Y where Y is the willingness to pay from the consumer or FUSC. In @Shaggys case, Y=2000. How this is represented in the math prior to 1-15-2017. It would be like setting the cost of the base model S to Z. Z is the current price -2000. Y is mandatory and so Z + Y was the current price prior to 1-16-2017.

Z increases by 2000 but Y is removed From the car.

That's how you arrive at why Shaggy felt it was a 5k increase.

All this makes me think Tesla might sell FUSC in the future and make it a profitable option to them.