Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pomponazzi 880xx coating on new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have the same blue! Don emphasized on the way car should be washed, which not many car wash is up to that standard to maintain the coating.
So, I washed the car myself once following his method, I see swirl marks in different places. Have you encounter the same issue?

i have the same blue! Don emphasized on the way car should be washed, which not many car wash is up to that standard to maintain the coating.
So, I washed the car myself once following his method, I see swirl marks in different places. Have you encounter the same issue?

Could anyone advise the address of this Pomponazzi coating place so that I can make a reservation when my car is about to be delivered?

How did Don suggest you wash it? I was one of the earlier Teslas he did (probably the first blue) as I got it done on February 2nd.

Thanks in advance.

These Silioxane coating was invented in 2010 by a German invested Turkish company and patented. These coating been used in various place from hospital, food factory for easy cleaning and sterilizing and even coating live plants to prevent pest or fungi. The are not truly quartz even it's empirical formula is the same SiO2. It's bonding structure is not Tetrahedral giant covalent bond like Quartz. But its a SI-O-SI-O-SI-O chain or ring. Quartz is not soluble in solvent because it's a covalent bond structure. These are more like silicone that absorb water in the air and vulcanized. i.e. (glass adhesive). In fact, Sand, Glass, Quartz, Silicone are all silicon oxides.

I think i will go with the Pomp coating when I get my 85D in 2 months. What is the order to do the following things?

1. Pomp coating
2. 3M Tinting window (just to legal darkness)
3. Front and back BlackVue installation.

Is there any place that offers 2 or more of these services all in one place?

The way Don suggested is to use different sponge/cloth to wash and dry car from top to bottom.
One for upper part of the car
One for bottom part of the car
One for the wheels.
Which makes sense and I usually do when I was oversea with pressure gun to hose the down the dirty 1st. This limits to car wash service as many do not wash in this particular way, but to go back to Don, which I don't mind but kind inconvenient as you need to book ahead.
He also said the coating protect against rock chips rather than swirls. This is the part I don't get, then whats the point of getting the coating. Perhaps my canto is quite poor. So I'm going back to him tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Optic, I would suggest Wrap Works for tinting, the do good work with price is reasonable, ask for Pat. I brought my car in for some art work today and was talking to him, he also does coating at 1/3 of the price. For blackvue, I went with Vadar Motorsports, ask for Eric, clean install!

after almost 2 years my swirls have come back but the shine and water slipping away is still there.
The stone chip protection has gone, I starting to get some.
So I can confirm that this coating can only last about 20 months.

after almost 2 years my swirls have come back but the shine and water slipping away is still there.
The stone chip protection has gone, I starting to get some.
So I can confirm that this coating can only last about 20 months.
Thanks for your sharing. Will it be covered under the warranty( 2yrs or 3 yrs)? How often do you wash your car? At least it is still shine over 20 months :)

Hi, I m new to forum and my black tesla will come in sep or oct, still thinking of coating. I'm a daily driver.
can 880xx user share about the car situation after rain. e.g before you go into an indoor carpark, it is raining, after u park your car, there is still some tiny water drops remain on the car surface(I wildly guess even with coating, there should be still some water drops on the car). I assume u won't clean it everyday. Will there be water marks on your car the next day morning u get your car?

I went down to tesla at students wan today to hand in my final payment. I was talking to the service personnel that I have booked pomponazzi for coating next month as I will be collecting my car by the end of this month. He was telling me that a few customers have encounter problem on the body paint after coating was done to their car by pomponazzi. Some notice that the body paint at the bonnet came off. I want to know if anyone encounter such problem?

- - - Updated - - -

Apart from that, he mentioned that the plastic part of the body turn white because of the coating. Therefore, please advise.

I went down to tesla at students wan today to hand in my final payment. I was talking to the service personnel that I have booked pomponazzi for coating next month as I will be collecting my car by the end of this month. He was telling me that a few customers have encounter problem on the body paint after coating was done to their car by pomponazzi. Some notice that the body paint at the bonnet came off. I want to know if anyone encounter such problem?

- - - Updated - - -

Apart from that, he mentioned that the plastic part of the body turn white because of the coating. Therefore, please advise.

All this sounds a bit like my car, except it's kind of the "opposite" of what is described. What happened was I took my car to Pomponazzi, and they were very critical of Tesla's paintwork. In particular, after what Pomponazzi claimed to be a "light wash", the top layer of the paint came off such that white streaks showed up (Pomponazzi explained that the "white" was the lower layer, as my car is the now discontinued dark blue). Pomponazzi insists the coating had not yet been applied at that point. Pomponazzi proceeded to coat the rest of the car EXCEPT the frunk cover. I took the car to Tesla to have the frunk cover repainted, and then took the car back to Pomponazzi to coat the repainted frunk cover.

Other than that incident (and the associated hassle), Pomponazzi has been great. Very deep blue that shines wonderfully. I also like the $90 car washes a lot.