Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor quality windscreen glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
I seem to remember a discussion some time ago on this topic.
My 2020 Raven has a windscreen that is very slightly less transparent than the rest of the windows, which are almost invisible.
Especially when facing the light it's almost as if there's a light frosting, or a thin layer of very fine talc. Looks like poor quality glass.

I seem to remember a discussion some time ago on this topic.
My 2020 Raven has a windscreen that is very slightly less transparent than the rest of the windows, which are almost invisible.
Especially when facing the light it's almost as if there's a light frosting, or a thin layer of very fine talc. Looks like poor quality glass.
There is a layer of scum that comes free from the factory with every Tesla.

I used griots glass polish with an orbital to remove it. I posted a thread about it. Night and day difference.

Ask a detailer to do it or DIY.

Cleaning the windshield Magic Eraser? Claybar? Invisible Glass?

Thank you for the link.
It does appear that it's a fairly common issue.
There seem to be two ideas about what it is: either poor quality glass which has a surface granularity, or a film of something.
I would be most reluctant to use anything which is abrasive for either - any damage to the glass wouldn't be a warranty fix! I might try the various cleaners - I've already tried a couple of auto glass cleaners with no effect on it.