Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

poor XM radio signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 S with glass roof and have consistently had sound drop out for 2-15 seconds at a time while on roads with a lot of trees. I went to the same roads with 2 different cars with XM radios (2015 Infinity QX80 and 2001 Mercedes E320 with a mobile XM unit) and they had practically no drop outs. Tesla said they found no problems with the antenna. They just say signal may drop out under trees, but why is it significantly worse compared with 2 other cars in the same area?

I have a 2018 S with glass roof and have consistently had sound drop out for 2-15 seconds at a time while on roads with a lot of trees. I went to the same roads with 2 different cars with XM radios (2015 Infinity QX80 and 2001 Mercedes E320 with a mobile XM unit) and they had practically no drop outs. Tesla said they found no problems with the antenna. They just say signal may drop out under trees, but why is it significantly worse compared with 2 other cars in the same area?
Run the tests on a cloudless day. Clouds contain water which reduces the signal from the satellite. All of my cars with satellite radio have had drop outs under trees. Before the merger XM was better than Sirius.