Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Tour Bluetooth Connection to Model S MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am an early adopter of XM Radio and like the content. I can stream it via Bluetooth of of my iPhone however there are significant areas of Colorado where there is no cellular service. My solution has been an XM Snap radio (no longer made). It broadcasts over FM however in the Denver area there are no open FM bands so every frequency gets walked on by the radio stations. I have been able to use it areas with no cell service and limited FM broadcasts.

I looked at the XM Tour since it had a Bluetooth connection that required a code confirmation. The radio was connected to my existing antenna, unit successfully powered up and was configured to connect via Bluetooth. The Tesla accepted the code and the radio connected.

• No sound was heard from the radio connected on Bluetooth on the Preview Chanel.
  • The Bluetooth connection was not persistent.
  • 2015 Model S85D MCU1
  • Version 2020.48.37.8
  1. Is Tesla blocking devices it recognizes as Sirius XM?
  2. Is Tesla blocking all Bluetooth device that are not phones?
I am wondering if anyone else has tried this or had sucess with connecting a non phone Bluetooth to their Tesla.

Reactions: asaggesejr
Did you select Phone as the audio source? You need to do that to use any Bluetooth device for audio.
Yes. This is not about a phone connection. My iPhone connects just fine. This connecting a true XM Satellite Radio via its Bluetooth connection to the car. The car and the radio display a verification code and it then connects. No sound comes out of the speakers, no other device is connected. I live in Colorado and there are many areas on "No Service" driving through the mountains, that equals no streamin or cellular service. XM antenna already routed in the car. I have an older XM radio that broadcasts over FM however there are few FM channels that are not used in Colorado so the sound gets walked on by whatever broadcast is nearby. Changing FM channels on the XM radio is not easily done while driving.

Yes. This is not about a phone connection. My iPhone connects just fine. This connecting a true XM Satellite Radio via its Bluetooth connection to the car. The car and the radio display a verification code and it then connects. No sound comes out of the speakers, no other device is connected. I live in Colorado and there are many areas on "No Service" driving through the mountains, that equals no streamin or cellular service. XM antenna already routed in the car. I have an older XM radio that broadcasts over FM however there are few FM channels that are not used in Colorado so the sound gets walked on by whatever broadcast is nearby. Changing FM channels on the XM radio is not easily done while driving.
I understand, but you have to select Phone as the audio source to use any Bluetooth device. Once you select Phone, you can choose the specific device, based on what it says in the manual. I don't use multiple Bluetooth devices so I have no personal experience doing this.