Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Popping Noise - Front Wheel Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two noises - you can hear them in this video (sorry for the Dash Cam noise as well).

The louder pop you hear isn't as loud as the video makes it seem, but it's very noticeable. It occurs inconsistently, but it only happens when i am turning (either direction) while the car is moving slowly. It does not happen if i turn the wheel while the car is stopped. This started happening shortly after Tesla replaced the steering rack in 2021. I sent it back and they claimed that they shimmed it, and the noise didn't happen for about a year. Then, I adjusted my toe to be more neutral a few weeks back and the sound returned.

The softer pops almost sound like they're coming from inside the cabin, but it's hard to say. This also mostly happens when I am turning at low speeds, but also sometimes when i go over a bump.

I replaced every single suspension component last month as part of a refresh...it's not a suspension noise. That leads me to believe it's the steering rack, or the linkage. But I'm not really sure how to check them to isolate the noise.

Here's a video i finally made to show my sound. This started happening shortly after the local SC replaced my steering rack in 2021, then it randomly went away, and recently started up again after I got an alignment.

All of my suspension components are new as of mid 2022, that didn't impact the sound. Steering is still smooth and uninterupted, but the popping is unsettling. It only happens when turning at low speeds and very rarely over a bump. I don't hear it when turning at higher speeds or when turning the wheel when stopped.

This leads me to believe that the steering rack is creaking as I'm turning because of the load put on it at low speeds. I took it back to the SC in 2021 and asked them to shim the rack, and they claim they did - however i dont see any shims or anything that would indicate anything was done.

Any ideas?

I'm having a knock/clunk sound from front right wheel area only when turning left at low speed and going over uneven pavement, small holes/cracks.
Doesn't happen over the same pavement if I'm going straight, and haven't noticed it while turning right either.
I'm on stock 19" rims, '15 70D, 134k miles. Only owned for a few months, so don't have access to service history.
Any ideas?

It almost feels like to me that there is way to much weight over the wheel and when turning (sharp and going slow) or coming off the driveway to the street..while turning....it seems the suspension unloads itself..as if it were binding up somehow..or the "diff" is locked and is dragging the front wheels on a turn.

There's a thread on this somewhere, but at least for some of you I'm being told that noise is specific to having wide tires on the front of the car. Not sure I totally buy that myself, but the thread I read had multiple folks chiming in and confirming that across different vehicles. In my case, it's a loud clunking noise when back out of a parking space and having to turn the wheel sharply in either direction as I reverse. Almost sounds like the wheel is skipping or a suspension component is binding, but again, the thread I mention says it's normal for a car running 265 wide front tires. My Audi S6 ran 255 tires and I never experienced this issue with that car. The wife's eTron has 265/45/21 tires and we don't get this noise in that vehicle either. It's similar to the sound in Agg's video, but I only hear/feel it when turning at very low speeds, and would say 99.9% of the time when backing out of a space while turning the wheel hard in either direction.

There's a thread on this somewhere, but at least for some of you I'm being told that noise is specific to having wide tires on the front of the car. Not sure I totally buy that myself, but the thread I read had multiple folks chiming in and confirming that across different vehicles. In my case, it's a loud clunking noise when back out of a parking space and having to turn the wheel sharply in either direction as I reverse. Almost sounds like the wheel is skipping or a suspension component is binding, but again, the thread I mention says it's normal for a car running 265 wide front tires. My Audi S6 ran 255 tires and I never experienced this issue with that car. The wife's eTron has 265/45/21 tires and we don't get this noise in that vehicle either. It's similar to the sound in Agg's video, but I only hear/feel it when turning at very low speeds, and would say 99.9% of the time when backing out of a space while turning the wheel hard in either direction.

Someone posted a video where you can see the tire "pop" back into place, so I think that specific use case is confirmed ----- however in my case, unfortunately that's not what's happening. I have oem size tires (245/35/21) in the front, and they're not "skipping.'

Do you guys think it is possible to have the turning angle so sharp that the car "pulls" the front wheels when in reverse. The symptoms really on occur when the yoke is turned to lock.. if not then very close...I am wondering if switching to the 19s OEM will cure this..as i don't recall having this issue until I put on the OEM 21s.