Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable Air Compressor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never heard this before, and have to disagree. After dozens of tire repairs at many tire shops, I know of none that plugs a tire, from in or outside. The gold standard repair is a patch, not a plug, installed from the inside. The outside plug is supposed to be a temporary solution to get you to the tire shop for the patch repair. In most cases however the plug lasts the life of the tire without further remediation. I’ve also never heard of a tire shop removing a plug. Again, they apply the internal patch and that’s it. All this is assuming the hole happened in a repairable part of the tread to begin with. If not, no reputable tire shop will apply any repair but suggest a new tire instead.

Stop being ridiculous by arguing the semantics of the word "plug." If we are going to argue semantics, you are 100% wrong to call it a patch. No reputable tire shop is going to use just a patch to fix a hole in the tire. They are going to use a patch / plug combination. For the rest of it, please do you research before commenting.

1677599472612.png

how would a plug void the warranty? also how would the company know anyway? I've only dealt with tire rack for warranty and that wasn't warranty that was road hazard but just take a couple pics and they will give you a check for whatever you paid for the tire, or $25 if it only needs a patch not a replacement.

That's what Discount Tire told me. I plugged it because I didn't have a spare. Took it in to them to have them patch it their way since I didn't have much confidence in the way I did it.

I think the plug I used maybe wasn't intended for automotive use. That or Discount Tire is staffed by jerks.