Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FLAT Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I had a flat tire which cost me $405 to replace it. I had to move the car with flat tire on to the flat bed tow truck and back it down so it may damage more to the tire. I feel that if I have had to tire inflator / Air Compressor that at least with the slow leak I can use it to add some air in the tire avoiding running flat. Any recommend for portable tire air compressor that can handle at least 50PSI that can pump the air fast.

Recently I had a flat tire which cost me $405 to replace it. I had to move the car with flat tire on to the flat bed tow truck and back it down so it may damage more to the tire. I feel that if I have had to tire inflator / Air Compressor that at least with the slow leak I can use it to add some air in the tire avoiding running flat. Any recommend for portable tire air compressor that can handle at least 50PSI that can pump the air fast.
Harbor Freight is your friend. The $39 one is 20% off today, so print out the coupon.

Reactions: zoomer0056
...portable tire air compressor that can handle at least 50PSI that can pump the air fast.

$109.80 RoofPax

Auto Shutoff

120V AC, Cigarette DC plug, built-in Lithium Battery

Air Flow 150 LPH

Quick connect with a lever (my screw-on connection gradually loosen due to stripped/worn-out thread).

I don't own this, but if you can buy one and give me a review :)

Harbor Freight is your friend. The $39 one is 20% off today, so print out the coupon.

I have the $39 one. It works fine and so far I've only used it to top off the tires. It has one strange quirk, you have to start it before attaching to tire stem, else it might blow the compressore fuse (it comes with an extra). A strange quirk but it's working for me just fine.
Screenshot_20230704_092822_Chrome.jpg
Do not, do not buy the Tesla one. I really wanted a Tesla branded pump, so I bought one. The plug broke immediately. I put it back together, it broke again. Terrible, terrible design and I returned it.

If you already have Ridgid tools with their lifetime warranty on the room AND the battery then check out the Ridgid 18v digital inflator. Excellent and lifetime warranty including the battery. You can buy the tool without the battery if you already have batteries or the tool with the battery.

Check it out @ Home Depot

-stew

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230704_153528_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230704_153528_Chrome.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 33

I was told today by the repair department at my local “dealership” that Tesla tires have foam in them and that tire inflators don’t work. Please educate me

If that's the case, how does air stay in the tire at all.
The foam used in Tesla’s tires is made from a special kind of polyurethane that is placed as a layer inside the tire’s inner surface. What the foam does is absorb at least some of the cavity noise, thus preventing it from being transmitted into the passenger cabin. The reduction in noise can be as much as 9 dB.

My question remains-will the standard fix a flat product work with these tires. Thanks

The foam used in Tesla’s tires is made from a special kind of polyurethane that is placed as a layer inside the tire’s inner surface. What the foam does is absorb at least some of the cavity noise, thus preventing it from being transmitted into the passenger cabin. The reduction in noise can be as much as 9 dB.

My question remains-will the standard fix a flat product work with these tires. Thanks
Your original question did not mention fix a flat.

I was told today by the repair department at my local “dealership” that Tesla tires have foam in them and that tire inflators don’t work. Please educate me
It becomes more of an issue with how to do a tire patch repair with foam tires. The main problem is the glue that's used for the inside patch will deteriorate foam. Best procedure is to cut the foam away to do the repair.

They also may be referring to tire sealant. The idea is the can of fix flat has enough air to pump up a tire and the sealant inside eventually get's sloshed around and seals up where the leak is. The problem with this on foam tires, the liquid sealant won't slosh around and will probably deteriorate the foam.

1689888954484.png