Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portland, OR Tesla Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are traveling to Portland, OR this Saturday to sign our docs for our upcoming Model S, we're very excited. We're in Portland for less than 24 hours, we land at 6:30pm on Saturday 6/13 and leave at 5:30pm the next day Sunday 6/14.

Neither of us have been to Portland before so I was thinking we could maybe rent a Tesla or figure something out with transport. We're going to go straight from the airport to the Tesla store when we land, probably have dinner at this place called Thirsty Lion that's nearby the Tesla store, then head back to our hotel in downtown. We were thinking we'd take the light rail back from our hotel downtown to the airport and that's it.

I read about this other thing called GetAround but I didn't see any Teslas on there. We will probably have a couple meals more in Portland if any of you have any recommendations in Washington Square area or Downtown area.

My wife and I are traveling to Portland, OR this Saturday to sign our docs for our upcoming Model S, we're very excited. We're in Portland for less than 24 hours, we land at 6:30pm on Saturday 6/13 and leave at 5:30pm the next day Sunday 6/14.

Neither of us have been to Portland before so I was thinking we could maybe rent a Tesla or figure something out with transport. We're going to go straight from the airport to the Tesla store when we land, probably have dinner at this place called Thirsty Lion that's nearby the Tesla store, then head back to our hotel in downtown. We were thinking we'd take the light rail back from our hotel downtown to the airport and that's it.

I read about this other thing called GetAround but I didn't see any Teslas on there. We will probably have a couple meals more in Portland if any of you have any recommendations in Washington Square area or Downtown area.

Nice timing, there are a bunch of EV events going on here on Saturday, one in Pioneer Courthouse Square, and another across the river at OMSI. Regarding getting around town, you might talk to someone at the store and see if they would consider picking you up at the airport (worth a try) or maybe from downtown. Otherwise, you could try TeslaTrips, they have a Model S for taxi service, I think it is around $60 from the airport to downtown. They will probably be at one or both of the EV events that day so it might work well for you. Congrats.

Why are you doing it in Portland BTW?

Thanks tander, I'll try and check out some of those events. Do you know what time they are? We land at 6:30pm and we'll be headed straight to the Tesla store. My DS said that signing in Portland is our only option to avoid sales tax, but the more I'm hearing from forum members and asking around, it seems inconsistent with what they're saying. So, my wife and I decided to make it a fun little trip since we haven't been to Portland before. We tried to get the Tesla store people to pick us up, but they declined and recommended a taxi.

Congrats!

PDX is great! On a side note, we drove down for the weekend from SEA after just 24 hours after delivery. EV friendly city in case you'll get your hands on an EV.
We go to PDX regularly, and I would recommend Paley's Place for dinner. Their chicken liver pate is fantastic. Breakfast, Tasty & Sons is worth the wait or go right when they open (the breakfast board and doughnuts are a must). If you're looking for anything specific, PM me. I also have a food blog, www.almostFitToEat.com (apologies in advance for the shameless plug).

If you signed your documents, I suspect you have already taken delivery. Congratulations on a great configuration. I have the same options except I didn't get the twin chargers since I almost always use a Blink charger that the Model S shares with a Chevrolet Volt.

I haven't signed yet, going to Portland tomorrow to do exactly that. I was informed I would have the car near the 29th of July. I'm hoping sooner because I heard that they ramped up production yesterday, and my status changed to "we have begun sourcing parts for your car".

I see why you didn't get the twin chargers, I just didn't want to miss anything that was too expensive later to install, for that very reason I almost got the two rear jump seats even though I'm newly married and I really have no use for two more seats lol.

I got confused because I didn't look at date the post was made, but I looked in your OP and saw 6/14.

Good luck on signing. As a native Oregonian I think Portland is fabulous, and I am jealous that you are getting to visit. You are smart to get the twin chargers. I assume you will buy a HPWC. You will be so happy with the +. Just be careful until you get used to the width and length of the Model S. You don't want to rash those beautiful grey wheels.

I got confused because I didn't look at date the post was made, but I looked in your OP and saw 6/14.

Good luck on signing. As a native Oregonian I think Portland is fabulous, and I am jealous that you are getting to visit. You are smart to get the twin chargers. I assume you will buy a HPWC. You will be so happy with the +. Just be careful until you get used to the width and length of the Model S. You don't want to rash those beautiful grey wheels.

Thanks for the luck gnelson, I just received my HPWC yesterday, but to my chagrin, the electrician I was getting quoted from told me it would cost $7-10k to install in my spot in the parking garage as I live in a condo. I tried the same having it installed at my office as well, I think the only feasible solution will be to install at my in-laws house, they only live 1 mile away from my wife and I (I actually like them, so that's not a bad thing), we're there a few hours a week anyhow, so hoping the install charge is a few hundred dollars, I'll just charge there.

Also, to prevent road rash, I ordered alloy gators so hopefully they'll be here soon. I typically don't have corner spots with curbs to worry about near home, work, or the gym so that should help, but if the wife drives it, the alloy gators will help. I've mostly owned Porsche's so I'm used to the high performance cars, and I've had a couple high performance sedans (M5, E55, S600) as well, so hopefully the size shouldn't take too much getting used to.

I can't wait for the car I'm so excited, I keep hitting refresh on the MyTesla page lol.