Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible mold in Trunk Storage Space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t normally use the hidden storage space in my trunk ever. This morning I opened up to randomly take a look inside and found that my charger case was all dirty and looks like it was covered with mold.

Water is definitely getting in somehow.

Very concerning because my Sons stroller and bag is stored in the trunk.

Attachments

• 9BC84200-7D6A-4A12-9CF9-37FB7AB133FF.jpeg
    9BC84200-7D6A-4A12-9CF9-37FB7AB133FF.jpeg
    489.6 KB · Views: 1,085
I found mine sopping wet one day after it rained, and I concluded that the trunk lid must not have been fully closed and let rain-water drip into there.
I pulled up the rear carpet (not an easy task) and dried off everything with a hair-dryer, and so far no mold and the problem hasn't happened again.

Now, I don't open my trunk in the rain, and I make sure to close it firmly every time now.

Sorry to see that mold in yours... That sucks.

I found mine sopping wet one day after it rained, and I concluded that the trunk lid must not have been fully closed and let rain-water drip into there.
I pulled up the rear carpet (not an easy task) and dried off everything with a hair-dryer, and so far no mold and the problem hasn't happened again.

Now, I don't open my trunk in the rain, and I make sure to close it firmly every time now.

Sorry to see that mold in yours... That sucks.

Could be possible but I’m pretty sure trunk has been closed all times. Car should notify you if trunk is open.

I will spray down the car and test to see.

The enclosure should be sealed so road spray shouldn't get in there.
There are some service holes that are supposed to have plastic plugs installed in them.
If you lift up the carpet and looked under you could see if any of those holes were open to the outside.
I still think it could be a slow drip from above getting down in there, and not necessarily water from below coming up.
Note, there is a squishy mat under the carpet that could also absorb water.

My carpet in my subtrunk was wrinkled when I took delivery of the car. I suspect it has gotten wet at some point but I have never seen it wet. I requested a replacement part and am waiting for it to arrive. I want to see the body under the existing carpet to make sure there is no rust before they install the new one.

I’ve had snow land in my trunk, when I’ve been lazy and opened the trunk before it was cleaned well.
I happen to have a trunk liner, so the snow just evaporates harmlessly over time.

If I didn’t have a liner, it would likely have ended up in the lower section, and wouldn’t have enough space or airflow to evaporate. That could have caused the mold. ?

It only takes 4 days of wetness to start mold growing.

The enclosure should be sealed so road spray shouldn't get in there.
There are some service holes that are supposed to have plastic plugs installed in them.
If you lift up the carpet and looked under you could see if any of those holes were open to the outside.
I still think it could be a slow drip from above getting down in there, and not necessarily water from below coming up.
Note, there is a squishy mat under the carpet that could also absorb water.

From the videos it seems like water is getting in but I’m not sure if that’s enough to cause that much mold on my charge kit. Weird.

Can’t wait til the next week of rain in So Cal to hopefully spot some issues.

I don’t normally use the hidden storage space in my trunk ever. This morning I opened up to randomly take a look inside and found that my charger case was all dirty and looks like it was covered with mold.

Water is definitely getting in somehow.

Very concerning because my Sons stroller and bag is stored in the trunk.

I have worked as an Industrial Hygienist, in the past, and did a LOT of mold surveys/investigations. (It is Hawaii) Here is what I can tell you about mold:
First, mold is everywhere! In our air, our homes, our vehicles and refrigerators. Mold needs moisture to latch onto to propagate. When warm air and cool air or surfaces interact, condensation forms. THAT is the medium for mold growth. Once mold establishes, it will continue to grow and spread through propagation. Now, somehow either through A/C and warm air that are mingling in that trunk space or accidental spillage or leaking seals, you DO have a moisture issue.
The first step is to remove the source of moisture. Once you determine "what" that is, THEN mitigate it and then clean thoroughly the area with a good household cleaner, rinse and dry thoroughly. You could put a desiccant canister in that space to also mitigate the moisture.
Bottom line: Find the cause of moisture, correct and clean.
Hope that helps(?)

• Helpful
Reactions: Jedi2155