Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible refresh of Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You got 1 out of 3 ...only thing new is MCU2
I don’t even count the graphite refresh as significant ..in general I doubt any changes on the X it’s only several years old

Better battery technology (same used on Model 3) ?
Better/faster computer ?

Any other improvements

They just switched to a new center console computer a couple months ago.

There's apparently a patent out there that people think is related to the S/X getting a 3 type HVAC system, but there's no indication of when/if that would happen.

Model 3 battery tech will undoubtedly happen at some point as the production continues/grows - but that is mostly about reducing cost rather than changing capacity.

I thought we'd set a bigger battery by now, but we haven't and there's no reason to expect one at any particular time.

I suspect we'll see a three motor PxxxD somewhere after the roadsters ship using a similar set of motors.

They just switched to a new center console computer a couple months ago.

There's apparently a patent out there that people think is related to the S/X getting a 3 type HVAC system, but there's no indication of when/if that would happen.

Model 3 battery tech will undoubtedly happen at some point as the production continues/grows - but that is mostly about reducing cost rather than changing capacity.

I thought we'd set a bigger battery by now, but we haven't and there's no reason to expect one at any particular time.

I suspect we'll see a three motor PxxxD somewhere after the roadsters ship using a similar set of motors.
Wouldn’t that be a PxxxT?

Reactions: Saghost
There is another thread on the forum that has been running a couple of months about a Model S/X refresh.

I think it was this time last year that people predicted an "imminent" refresh and well nothing. lol. Unless you count different style wood trims and the return of ventilated seats as a "refresh." I keep saying Tesla is focused 99% on the Model 3 right now that they dont have the resources, time, or need to switch up the only two profitable cars they make right now.

On the other thread there was someone who claimed to know a Tesla employee in the know. According to the leaker, they had planned a facelift later this year, but pushed it back to early next year because of the M3 production problems.

Has Tesla overhauled any of their cars yet? I don't think the roadster counts because of the hiatus.

Tesla seems to take a DevOps IT-type approach with (relatively) small iterative changes. As many have noted, comparing a model S from 2012 to today's model S is a big difference.

My money would be on a small changes slowly transforming the car.

Reactions: P85_DA
This summary thread of mine might offer a more palatable read than the massive imminent refresh thread:

Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD

The last couple of pages offer some of the latest speculation.

Rumoured leaks alleged that the Model S/X dashboard refresh and mild exterior facelift was planned (alleged leaks have offered details on both of these), possibly for early 2018, but was postponed due to the Model 3 "production hell". Speculation is that's why we got the mild refresh with MCU2/lighted vanity mirrors/new trim instead.

Has Tesla overhauled any of their cars yet? I don't think the roadster counts because of the hiatus.

Tesla seems to take a DevOps IT-type approach with (relatively) small iterative changes. As many have noted, comparing a model S from 2012 to today's model S is a big difference.

My money would be on a small changes slowly transforming the car.

What do you consider an overhaul?

When Tesla offered the AWD S for the first time, they made a while bunch of changes under the skin for the AWD cars, some of which went to all cars, including things not required for AWD like a motorized chargeport door (earlier cars are springloaded open with an electronic release,) and relocating the 12V battery.

The most visible change they've made was the 2016 S facelift, which again included significant changes under the skin in part to fit the Bioweapon filters.

Elon has said himself that the model 3 production hell is not a technology issue, but rather a manufacturing issue (car assembly phase).

Unless the same engineering team is actually put into the assembly line, I tend to think the same folks are placed in to 2020 roaster project.

Read from many articles where the model 3 has better tech compared to x/s in term of battery tech (hold better charge long term, take lesser time to recharge), man, I feel model x/s is like a dinosaur.

The most visible change they've made was the 2016 S facelift, which again included significant changes under the skin in part to fit the Bioweapon filters.

I agree and the X effectively got that same "facelift" between the prototype and production models. It's not normal industry practice to facelift a facelift model so the next change is likely to be an all new car. Probably the S first in the next 2-3 years as it's the longest model in the tooth and then the X following a year or two later.

It's feasible that the X could get an interim facelift, but less likely given the facelift history of the S and the delayed X release which effectively made it a facelift model anyway. What would they do exactly other than yet another light cluster change and the current ones look pretty current to me anyway?

I can't see the interior getting a major facelift either or batteries for that matter. Design resources should be focusing on all-new S/X models by this point in their lifecycle or the model line would be dead in the water in 3 or 4 years time. I hope so anyway, because I love my X and don't want to be faced with the same basic model in 4 years time when I come to change. I hope by then an all-new MX has been released to keep up the interest and fend off the new German rivals etc.

Elon has said himself that the model 3 production hell is not a technology issue, but rather a manufacturing issue (car assembly phase).

Unless the same engineering team is actually put into the assembly line, I tend to think the same folks are placed in to 2020 roaster project.

Read from many articles where the model 3 has better tech compared to x/s in term of battery tech (hold better charge long term, take lesser time to recharge), man, I feel model x/s is like a dinosaur.

While all true, a significant change in Model S/X manufacturing would require attention from the manufacturing staff - which already has seen its numbers moved (temporarily perhaps) to Model 3 manufacturing. There would likely be needs to focus more on the Model S/X parts supply side of things as well, in such a change, a requirement that may be unwanted at this time.

Model S has gone through three major refreshes, all accompanied by some manufacturing downtime as they "recalibrate" the line: AP1/AWD in 2014, facelift in 2016 and AP2 in 2016. Some other downtime has happened for other reasons, of course.

Postponing one of these types of disruptions in Q1/2018 (the interior refresh of Model S/X) due to focus on Model 3 not only makes sense, there is at least one alleged claim on TMC from the inside indeed saying so. And it is well known Model 3 ramp-up did not go according to plan...

Tesla knows they need to keep Model S/X current and that it is not aging well compared to the Model 3 launch. That they had a refresh planned to go somewhat alongside that launch also makes sense.

This of course includes speculation and rumours that may or may not be true.