Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential New Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I am almost ready to purchase a model 3 or model y, still deciding. I did test a model 3 out and I like it. It's definitely an experience. The thing that is just making me a little skeptical is the quality of the car was unmatched to my current 2016 BMW X3. Maybe all you owners can tell me about your experiences. For example, how much your electric bill went up, do you have any problems with range anxiety, are there any mechanical problems with the car, is it really that much better than a gas car. I’d appreciate any feedback before I get one. Thanks.

Solution
Funny I would think model 3 would be more refined than the model Y now. Plus I hear it has a newer interior? Please correct me if I am wrong.

There is nothing really "new" about the interior of the model 3 vs the model Y. They are 90% the same car, with a model Y being a lifted car with a hatchback version of the model 3.

Tesla does not have "refined" interiors, they are pretty spartan compared to ICE luxury vehicles. For me thats fine, but people look at the price and think "luxury car" and they dont have more luxury than your average toyota, etc.
I live in Florida as well. I chose the M3LR. With all the rain we get the dual range AWD was a factor. The car is very well planted. The added battery can’t be added after the sale. The sound system and fog lights are an added perk. i test drove the SR+ and the sound system between the SR+ and the LR is substantial.

Upvote 0
I live in Florida as well. I chose the M3LR. With all the rain we get the dual range AWD was a factor. The car is very well planted. The added battery can’t be added after the sale. The sound system and fog lights are an added perk. i test drove the SR+ and the sound system between the SR+ and the LR is substantial.

While I respect your decision. I had the opposite experience and saw no need for spending an extra $9k for the LR. Range and charging on the SR+ are fine for me and I was pleasantly surprised by the sound system.

Upvote 0
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I am almost ready to purchase a model 3 or model y, still deciding. I did test a model 3 out and I like it. It's definitely an experience. The thing that is just making me a little skeptical is the quality of the car was unmatched to my current 2016 BMW X3. Maybe all you owners can tell me about your experiences. For example, how much your electric bill went up, do you have any problems with range anxiety, are there any mechanical problems with the car, is it really that much better than a gas car. I’d appreciate any feedback before I get one. Thanks.

I too came from a long line of BMW’s. My last was a 435i Grand Coupe. Quality is fine. Electric home charging was about $30 a month for 1,000 miles a month. Range anxiety is basically a non-issue in Florida... unless you’re in a really rural part. The only problem I had was trunk alignment, easy fix at the Jacksonville service center (all very good experiences there.)

Yes... waaaay better than a gas car. As a lifelong motorhead, I’m craving the 2021 C8 Corvette, but would absolutely HATE pumping gas... AND having to pay for the nuisance. Rising gas prices expected. Plus ICE vehicle maintence... nasty oil changes, brake dust, dealership service, etc.

The Model 3 changed me. (Did I mention that I’m a life-long motorhead?)

If I wanted max quality and a higher performance driving experience, I’d get the Porsche Taycan. It’s a very nice package. Lots more money. More expensive service... tires and Porsche service in general. Not as good of a supercharger network (Porsche uses Electrify America at Walmart vs. Tesla Superchargers at Wawa)... and I really want to see how Porsche batteries resist degradation over time (although all indications look good.) Porsche offers a very nice package, though completely unnecessary. It’s a true Porsche in all respects, performance, build quality, curb appeal, and $$$.

I could keep my Model 3 and buy a Corvette for the price of the Porsche. Best of both worlds and I’d have two very different cars to play with.

If you liked the Model 3 test drive, you’ll love the ownership for things that you never thought of... like sitting in the car for extended periods of time with unlimited air conditioning. It’s a game changer.

The Model 3 will give you a sportier driving experience... while the Model Y has the extra room, hatchback and if you like the size then great.

Last edited:
Upvote 0