Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential New Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I am almost ready to purchase a model 3 or model y, still deciding. I did test a model 3 out and I like it. It's definitely an experience. The thing that is just making me a little skeptical is the quality of the car was unmatched to my current 2016 BMW X3. Maybe all you owners can tell me about your experiences. For example, how much your electric bill went up, do you have any problems with range anxiety, are there any mechanical problems with the car, is it really that much better than a gas car. I’d appreciate any feedback before I get one. Thanks.

Solution
Funny I would think model 3 would be more refined than the model Y now. Plus I hear it has a newer interior? Please correct me if I am wrong.

There is nothing really "new" about the interior of the model 3 vs the model Y. They are 90% the same car, with a model Y being a lifted car with a hatchback version of the model 3.

Tesla does not have "refined" interiors, they are pretty spartan compared to ICE luxury vehicles. For me thats fine, but people look at the price and think "luxury car" and they dont have more luxury than your average toyota, etc.
Quality can mean a lot of things to a lot of different people. I came from a Lexus IS350, and there are some things that Toyota does really well, which is doors that close with a very satisfying sound, whereas the Model 3 I bought is a bit louder. The materials is similar in quality, I find that sometimes the lower entry level Luxury tends to carry a lot of hard plastic parts. However, the model 3 uses a softer rubberized plastic material all over the doors and dash.

I found that the value for money was there with a model 3. Most car companies bundle the features into the most expensive package, such as navigation or an upgraded sound system. What I found really helpful when I was deciding to purchase a Model 3 was to think hard about what features I absolutely wanted and which ones I care less about. I really wanted a Sedan that had a lot potential for road trip use, the sentry mode is unmatched, navigation, app usage pushed me towards Teslsa. Rank the cars you're looking at based on the factors you care about the most. If you are still sitting on the fence, maybe rent one out on Turo over a weekend.

With respect to ownership, my personal experience is that 1 year into ownership and 21,000km later, zero mechanical issues, and have not needed any work done. My electricity bill went up by an average usage of 14kWh of usage a day, but that's really a function of how far and fast you drive. Considering my off peak cost is $0.10 / kWh hour, the operating cost is much cheaper than a gas car. Put it another way, my Lexus used to cost me $80 to fill, but my model 3 has a 75kWh battery so it costs me $7.50 to completely fill. Perhaps a bit more if you add on delivery and transmission line losses, but still much cheaper. However, the Tesla obviously costs more up front, so factor that into your situation as well. I personally don't miss line ups at the pump.

Upvote 0
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I am almost ready to purchase a model 3 or model y, still deciding. I did test a model 3 out and I like it. It's definitely an experience. The thing that is just making me a little skeptical is the quality of the car was unmatched to my current 2016 BMW X3. Maybe all you owners can tell me about your experiences. For example, how much your electric bill went up, do you have any problems with range anxiety, are there any mechanical problems with the car, is it really that much better than a gas car. I’d appreciate any feedback before I get one. Thanks.
I have had my M3 for almost one year and the experience has been awesome. I love driving the car every day. I do not have a long commute, and I find myself taking "the long way home" frequently so I can get to drive the car more.

I drive about 8000 miles per year, and my electric bill has increased about $30 per month during the summer and as much as $70 per month during the winter. I see you are in Florida, so this wouldn't pertain to you, but if you live in a cold winter climate, you will use much more Wh per mile in the winter. Due to my short commute, range anxiety are not an issue for me.

In spite of the many posts here concerned about built quality, I didn't have any issues with panel gaps, paint defects, noises and rattles, etc. The build of my car was great and I have had no mechanical issues either. I have not had to schedule service for anything after almost a year.

Finally, you asked if the M3 is that much better than a gas car and I can tell you, I will NEVER buy a gas powered car again. Driving any gas powered car feels like driving a tractor to me now. The M3 is so smooth and responsive and handles very well. I have been extremely happy with my Model 3.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Upvote 0
Electricity is much cheaper than gas, anywhere from 1/4 to 1/10 the cost depending on your service. Check your utility bill for current cost per kWh (usually $0.10 - $0.20) and multiply by 80 (current 3/Y have 82kWh batteries) to figure the cost of driving 300 miles. Most utility companies offer EV plans for even lower costs if you charge at night.

You do trade some quality for technology of course. Many of Tesla's unique features and styling are actually clever cost-cutting tricks (e.g. using your phone as the key), while others are simply cheap (e.g. lousy panel gaps/alignment). Where BMW lets you choose which color thread you want your seats stitched with, Tesla doesn't even offer sunroofs. They are masters at cost cutting and they use those savings to deliver a powertrain that is superior to everything else on the market.

They are also masters of growth. By eliminating nearly every branch of customer service and making almost no effort to deliver cars in flawless condition they can focus their resources on new factories and production methods. This gives them terrible ratings in every initial quality survey but that's fine with them since they don't need to attract customers right now, they need to build factories.

As for range, you can go about 4 hours on the highway before needing to recharge. That probably covers nearly 100% of anyone's needs. Yeah, we all remember that one time in college when we drove for 5 hours or maybe even 10 for some reason. If you're still doing that and don't want to do it in the other car, then yeah, you'll have to stop for an hour and recharge at one of the countless fast chargers on your route.

If you're torn between 3/Y and coming from a big ol' X3 I'm sure you know the Y will be more familiar. It's also a much newer design and a bit more refined in my opinion. The doors close nicely, the windows seal nicely, the trunk is fully finished, the rear seats fold at the press of a button, the frunk is of usable size, and of course the cargo/passenger capacity is exceptional. I'd never trade my 3 for one though.

Upvote 0
Electricity is much cheaper than gas, anywhere from 1/4 to 1/10 the cost depending on your service. Check your utility bill for current cost per kWh (usually $0.10 - $0.20) and multiply by 80 (current 3/Y have 82kWh batteries) to figure the cost of driving 300 miles. Most utility companies offer EV plans for even lower costs if you charge at night.

You do trade some quality for technology of course. Many of Tesla's unique features and styling are actually clever cost-cutting tricks (e.g. using your phone as the key), while others are simply cheap (e.g. lousy panel gaps/alignment). Where BMW lets you choose which color thread you want your seats stitched with, Tesla doesn't even offer sunroofs. They are masters at cost cutting and they use those savings to deliver a powertrain that is superior to everything else on the market.

They are also masters of growth. By eliminating nearly every branch of customer service and making almost no effort to deliver cars in flawless condition they can focus their resources on new factories and production methods. This gives them terrible ratings in every initial quality survey but that's fine with them since they don't need to attract customers right now, they need to build factories.

As for range, you can go about 4 hours on the highway before needing to recharge. That probably covers nearly 100% of anyone's needs. Yeah, we all remember that one time in college when we drove for 5 hours or maybe even 10 for some reason. If you're still doing that and don't want to do it in the other car, then yeah, you'll have to stop for an hour and recharge at one of the countless fast chargers on your route.

If you're torn between 3/Y and coming from a big ol' X3 I'm sure you know the Y will be more familiar. It's also a much newer design and a bit more refined in my opinion. The doors close nicely, the windows seal nicely, the trunk is fully finished, the rear seats fold at the press of a button, the frunk is of usable size, and of course the cargo/passenger capacity is exceptional. I'd never trade my 3 for one though.
Funny I would think model 3 would be more refined than the model Y now. Plus I hear it has a newer interior? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Upvote 0
Just a quick insight on electric for you, we traveled 241 miles one day last week, used 61 kWh's of electric, rates vary by region, but with our Winter electric rates that cost us right at $5.00 to recharge at home and would have been about $7.50 with our Summer rates.

Upvote 0
I’ll never own a different kind of car again, and I’ve had mine less than a month.

Upvote 0

There is nothing really "new" about the interior of the model 3 vs the model Y. They are 90% the same car, with a model Y being a lifted car with a hatchback version of the model 3.

Tesla does not have "refined" interiors, they are pretty spartan compared to ICE luxury vehicles. For me thats fine, but people look at the price and think "luxury car" and they dont have more luxury than your average toyota, etc.

Upvote 0
Solution
Feature updates randomly debut on one model or the other but generally always make it to both within a few months. Front seats, console and dashboard are the same while the rest of the interior is very similar. Other than the hatchback and power folding rear seats, they are functionally identical.

The difference is in the refinement of the body stampings and plastic/rubber moldings. The 3 was Tesla's first attempt at high volume production and while they've made many updates there are still some tooling, process, or design details that are somewhat locked in. But the Y was designed 2 years later and incorporated many of the lessons learned from the 3 whilst also debuting the cast chassis, a radical manufacturing change that may or may not ever make it to the current gen 3.

Upvote 0
Regarding range anxiety, I found it quickly goes.

The biggest difference is that you can charge up every night, so you end up with a nearly full tank each day.

To help me adapt, I started by charging to 90% as it gave me more confidence, but after a few weeks I lowered that to 80%. Now I don't even bother charging every night. It's ok to feel a bit anxious at first.

Use any free supercharging miles you get via a referral link, then you'll see how easy the superchargers are and that helps reassure you that longer journeys are just fine.

Reactions: Ignatius2021
Upvote 0

You said travel 4 hours on the highway, is that with the standard range?

Upvote 0