Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

potential phone key fix (or at least partial solution) for android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case this helps someone else...
I tried this fix on my Pixel 2 XL and it helped a little, but it only increased my success rate from ~10% to ~20% (entirely anecdotal), so I kept trying to figure this out. I had reset my phone back in November and had near 100% success afterward until the December or January OS security patch and it had become worse yet with the February patch (down to the 10% previously mentioned). This is what ended up working for me:

Fully delete phone / car relationship
1: Uninstall Tesla app from phone
2: Forget car in Bluetooth devices page on phone
3: Delete the phone key in the key management screen of the car's UI
4: Forget the phone in the media screen / Bluetooth management of the car's UI
5: Reboot phone
6: Reboot car

I'm not sure if 5 & 6 make any difference, but they can't hurt

Reconfigure
1: Reinstall Tesla app on phone
2: Setup phone key again
3: Disable battery optimization of app
4: ???
5: Profit.

It's been about a week after doing those steps and I'm close to 100% success rate again (actual 100% if you count the occasional brief delay when opening the door as a success). Note, I'm not using Beacon Scanner, Tasker, or any other 3rd party apps to make up for Android's Bluetooth shortcomings.

In case this helps someone else...
I tried this fix on my Pixel 2 XL and it helped a little, but it only increased my success rate from ~10% to ~20% (entirely anecdotal), so I kept trying to figure this out. I had reset my phone back in November and had near 100% success afterward until the December or January OS security patch and it had become worse yet with the February patch (down to the 10% previously mentioned). This is what ended up working for me:

Fully delete phone / car relationship
1: Uninstall Tesla app from phone
2: Forget car in Bluetooth devices page on phone
3: Delete the phone key in the key management screen of the car's UI
4: Forget the phone in the media screen / Bluetooth management of the car's UI
5: Reboot phone
6: Reboot car

I'm not sure if 5 & 6 make any difference, but they can't hurt

Reconfigure
1: Reinstall Tesla app on phone
2: Setup phone key again
3: Disable battery optimization of app
4: ???
5: Profit.

It's been about a week after doing those steps and I'm close to 100% success rate again (actual 100% if you count the occasional brief delay when opening the door as a success). Note, I'm not using Beacon Scanner, Tasker, or any other 3rd party apps to make up for Android's Bluetooth shortcomings.

Tesla had recommended this to me, but no joy on my LG xCharge. So I bought a used iPhone SE. Worked virtually 100% for several months even with updates to both the car and the app.

Tesla had recommended this to me, but no joy on my LG xCharge. So I bought a used iPhone SE. Worked virtually 100% for several months even with updates to both the car and the app.
Which version of Android was running on your LG xCharge before you switched? I wonder if maybe some of the Bluetooth stack updates in later versions of Android (I'm on Pie) are actually helping?