Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pothole took out two of my tires, what to expect next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this happen twice. :(

Once when I had a Tesla P85+ loaner with 21's I hit a huge pothole somehow (no idea how I didn't see this thing...) that badly damaged both tires and rims on the right side... drove ~15 miles back to the service center at very low speed because the car was shaking so much.

The other time wasn't as bad, in my wife's car. Hit a pothole, damaged both tires.

Long story short, hitting pot holes is expensive. :(

Sorry to read about what happened.

I'm pointing out the following not to be nit-picky, but because it might help you or someone else when you try to figure out insurance costs, replacement costs, etc.

You have 21" Turbine wheels, not Cyclone wheels. The Cyclone wheels are 19" wheels.

Thank you for letting me know, now that you mention it I realize I did know that I have 21" Turbines :)

Hopefully in this case it is just two tires @ $375/ea plus an alignment. But if I ever lose a whole wheel (which he said costs $1100/ea) I'm seriously considering going aftermarket 20" wheels instead. I'd love to hear if there are any cons to this possible future plan.

There is one thing to consider. The closest 20" match is 245/40R20. But there's larger selection in a wider 255/40R20, which works except for slight rubbing in wheel well while in reverse. Does no real damage, but is annoying. Most 20" wheels accommodate either width tire.

As a followup the bill came in at about $1,070 for two new tires, alignment, and labor. Free car wash and they dropped it off at my work.

I do have scrapes on the two rims as well.

I have not used these services myself, but people here have posted about mobile rim repair services that come to you and do an excellent job of repairing aluminum rims. I'd suggesting doing some searching if something like that may interest you.

Edit: I did a quick search, and found a thread started by a Dallas provider-- Greetings TMC from Quality One Mobile Wheel Repair

Last edited:
Hmm....Tire Rack has your Michelin's for $365 each ($767.70 for 2 including shipping). I usually have them installed balanced for $25 each for a total $817 or so.

They also have what looks to be the Tesla rims in 19" and 21" of course without the logo (easily made) for $239 each.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...toModel=Model+S&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=85D

My plan is to go through the first set of tires and when they wear out replace both tires and wheels with the Cyclone style but aftermarket.

Wheels.jpg

Last edited: