Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Steering Kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if there is a way to convert the Roadster to power steering? Has anyone done this? It is even possible?

Just more curious at this stage - it would be a cool option especially if you could turn it on and off. My GF couldn't pull out of parallel parking spot on her own and it would be nice to have this.

Thoughts?

I have heard that a couple of people in Europe had that done to their roadsters. I think there was a plan to try to productize the mod, but it got shelved.

I think for Tesla to sell such a thing themselves they might have to re-certify (crash test) Roadsters with the modification, so I doubt they would be willing to do that now.

Sorry, don't have any more details, other than hearing that someone had done it and liked the result.

The power module would be a drain on the battery so the "turn it off and on" is a good idea. The upgrade would be interesting

Did I say something wrong? I don't understand.

As for the statement about ladies .......... :scared:

It's fine ..... Your from Rome ...... Statement would most likely be considered "caring and considerate"
From somebody in the USA might be considered a slam or degrading ..... Go figure

Reactions: DeedWest
The key to the Roadster steering in the parking lot is to anticipate before you steer, the car needs to be moving in order to steer. Also you have to be good at parking for that to work and sync together as well.

I heard that Tesla already crashed 2 roadsters for that power steering upgrade they'd been working on.... sad it got shelved like the other upgarades, for example the big brake.

What is an adjustable front sway bar set it to the loose position (rear-most hole)? Can you explain?

The adjustable suspension allows you to change the settings for the front and rear sway bars and the shocks, all can be either tightened or loosened. The steering becomes lighter if you loosen the front sway bar (and it helps correct under steer).

The first thing I noticed when I upgraded from the standard suspension to the adjustable suspension was the steering was a lot easier at low speeds.

Sorry - wrong solution. Try this. :wink:
download.jpg

The adjustable suspension allows you to change the settings for the front and rear sway bars and the shocks, all can be either tightened or loosened. The steering becomes lighter if you loosen the front sway bar (and it helps correct under steer).

The first thing I noticed when I upgraded from the standard suspension to the adjustable suspension was the steering was a lot easier at low speeds.

Very interesting! I didn't know this. Good to know. I am taking note of this thread.

And for the rear side what's your advice to have a lighter steering?

Last edited:
Just read a cool snippet about the NSX: The power steering is engaged under 17 mph and then disengages above this speed. A pretty elegant solution to the power module drain item that Bot mentioned. I'm bringing #1190 into the shop next week, picking up on the 13th. With the suggestion from djp to loosen the front sway bar, we'll see where it ends up. If I'm good there, we'll call it done. If not, I'm going to keep exploring the power steering idea/option.

Don't get me wrong, LOVE having the straight road feel w/o power steering. I wouldn't have it any other way. But I want to turn the wheels effortlessly while the car is standing still - and I can't do that right now. Kind of cheesy - but I think the car looks at it's best sitting still with the wheels turned. That's how I like to leave the car when I walk away from it. At the moment, I'm cranking the wheel and barely getting it to turn. Also - want the GF to be able to drive it easily.

If you have an adjustable front sway bar set it to the loose position (rear-most hole). I noticed that makes the steering much lighter and easier to turn at low speeds. It's almost like power steering.
Instead of starting a new thread, I searched (like a good boy) and found this nugget and wanted to say thank you and highlight it for others to come as I saw a 2015 thread (Manual to power steering modification?) that made no mention of this. I was searching because I brought my 725 in for service on my TPMS (now fixed with 4 new ones) and they loaned me 1004 which felt like it had power steering compared to mine. Thanx again, djp;421479 :smile: