Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk and frunk [pre 2021 Model 3]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you get on fitting it?

Also +1 on the mobile weekend fitting service. :)

It wasn't that difficult really - the frunk takes a couple of hours but the boot is much longer (both will take most of a day) as the rear bumper has to be partially removed. The hardest part was using a fish wire to get the cables into the boot lid. The cringe part was drilling a hole in a brand new car - fortunately Tesla have left an outline so that a grommet can be fitted to allow the boot power strut wires to enter the boot in the correct place, (the hole already exists on the other side) if they don't enter correctly then there will be water ingress.

The video on youtube from Frugal Tesla Guy shows one of his cables wedged through the hole used by the charge port drain - this imo is extremely poor as not only will it reduce water flow and therefore more likely to block the drain it will also allow the cable from the lift motor to be pressed constantly against a sharp edge, i have no doubt that cable will fail on his car in the future.

I'll start a list to see if it's viable, obviously the further people are from Manchester then the higher the cost - I don't mine the travelling, i do it for a living.

Last edited:
I went for the full monty :D Boot - Frunk - both foot sensors

Opening and closing the boot is done from the external and internal buttons (the internal one comes in the kit), the screen, the app or voice control with siri

Opening and closing the frunk is pretty similar except the internal button is already there and you can't open it from the foot sensor if the car is locked even if you have the phone key with you

Regarding the screen - you can open and close the boot from there but not the frunk as it stays greyed out - the option is to use the app or the foot sensor/ button because if you've opened it you must be going in there anyway.

Voice control from siri is great - i've called my boot 'sesame' in the shortcuts app so i can say 'hey siri - open sesame' which opens the boot

Using the app to open either requires you to 'open' then again to close them as closing is not an option in the app, opening them again just starts the sequence in reverse

This one is my frunk which i opened with the foot sensor

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
Please be very careful with this CANbus modification, months ago one customer in Hongkong had his motor burned down and had to replace it, as he had the power trunk connected to the CAN, he lost the manufacturer warranty. As a result he had to pay 6000 dollars for the motor replacement. This is a story I heard from our supplier and that’s why we only sell the product taking power from 12V battery.

Hi, this is Warren from Tesla Offer.

We are the only one who offer solution in Hong Kong that listen to the canbus (not modify, our system don't have any capability to modify the canbus). All the electric tailgate installations in Hong Kong are done by us. If there's any cases like that, we should have heard it from our customer or Tesla Hong Kong but we didn't.

If listening to Canbus would burn the motor, then ScanMyTesla app would burn the motor too. In the past 3 years we never heard anyone who used ScanMyTesla burned their motor.

Last edited:
Hi, this is Warren from Tesla Offer.

We are the only one who offer solution in Hong Kong that listen to the canbus (not modify, our system don't have any capability to modify the canbus). All the electric tailgate installations in Hong Kong are done by us. If there's any cases like that, we should have heard it from our customer or Tesla Hong Kong but we didn't.

If listening to Canbus would burn the motor, then ScanMyTesla app would burn the motor too. In the past 3 years we never heard anyone who used ScanMyTesla burned their motor.
I guess the problem is that it still interfaces with it, and whoever buys the kit would have to assume that all it did was read it, and that reading it has a zero chance of causing failures down the line.

A “dumb” system that is just wired to the 12v battery doesn’t know or care what car it’s doing the automated frunk/trunk experience on.

I think personally I could live without the in-car display being accurate as to the state of the frunk or trunk so long as it didn’t think it was open when it was actually closed, or vice versa. I can’t imagine a scenario where I’d necessarily want to open them from inside the car, compared to the need to do it externally.

That’s not meant as any kind of criticism of your product, only that I’d be worried about things that integrate with the CANbus, and future warranty work, particularly if Tesla can detect and “phone home” this stuff.

Hmmm maybe i could offer a weekend mobile service - i'll think about it and see if there are any other takers

I’d be interested in it towards the end of year as the lease on my Alfa runs out in January. I’d have a go at the frunk myself, but not too sure about the trunk. I’ve read a lot about them and would go for the Hansshow as well. They keep making improvements to their kits.

I like the way you’ve run the cables from the struts into the boot, not too many videos I’ve seen do it that way.

I’m just inside the boundaries of Greater Manchester next to the M6 so not to far away.

I’d be interested in it towards the end of year as the lease on my Alfa runs out in January. I’d have a go at the frunk myself, but not too sure about the trunk. I’ve read a lot about them and would go for the Hansshow as well. They keep making improvements to their kits.

I like the way you’ve run the cables from the struts into the boot, not too many videos I’ve seen do it that way.

I’m just inside the boundaries of Greater Manchester next to the M6 so not to far away.

No problem - there is only one way to do it, the right way

Reactions: Chalks99
I went for the full monty :D Boot - Frunk - both foot sensors

Opening and closing the boot is done from the external and internal buttons (the internal one comes in the kit), the screen, the app or voice control with siri

Opening and closing the frunk is pretty similar except the internal button is already there and you can't open it from the foot sensor if the car is locked even if you have the phone key with you

Regarding the screen - you can open and close the boot from there but not the frunk as it stays greyed out - the option is to use the app or the foot sensor/ button because if you've opened it you must be going in there anyway.

Voice control from siri is great - i've called my boot 'sesame' in the shortcuts app so i can say 'hey siri - open sesame' which opens the boot

Using the app to open either requires you to 'open' then again to close them as closing is not an option in the app, opening them again just starts the sequence in reverse

This one is my frunk which i opened with the foot sensor

I have fitted the Hansshow boot (with foot sensor) and i also want to fit the Frunk too, but im wondering if the foot sensor is worth having for the frunk - it would be very useful but not if the car has to be unlocked first! What is your opinion having installed it?

I have fitted the Hansshow boot (with foot sensor) and i also want to fit the Frunk too, but im wondering if the foot sensor is worth having for the frunk - it would be very useful but not if the car has to be unlocked first! What is your opinion having installed it?
TBH i haven't used it properly as like you said the car needs to be unlocked first, i just fitted it for completeness, the extra cost wasn't that much

Yes, a great company is called Ultimate Audio in West Wickham South London. They did a great job for me, and I'm going back on Friday for them to do the frunk foot sensor (ran out of time last time). As for Darren, and please say that Abs has referred you!