Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk and frunk [pre 2021 Model 3]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Mr H does a superb job of fitting them too. I got some quotes for London dealers, recommended by Hansshow themselves and they were all crazy. Despite me messing him around due to various lockdowns stopping me travelling he's a top man.

Unintended consequence is I'm using the froot a lot more. Now there's no latch to worry about or aluminium to bend it's a reliable and usable storage compartment. Also if you carry something heavy in there it improves handling 😬

Prior to getting motorised trunk/frunks I fitted the extra strong gas piston struts to at least "automate" the opening of both trunk and frunk.
The trunk piston struts were removed when it was motorised but I still have the front that "auto" open but need manual closure.
Needs extra effort to pull down for closure against the piston force and also a really strong final push to lock closed.
One recent update was changing the frunk closure spring for a softer one. (purchased from Ebay - apparently originally sourced from GreenDrive)
Massive difference - much less effort now required to make that final "clunk" closure of the frunk lock - less likely to dint the lid with single-hand closure.

Reactions: s88ats
Is there a reason power isn't tapped from the 12v supply available under the rear seat, rather than having to tap right at the front of the car, removing more trim? From what I've been led to believe the 12v supply under the seat is switched, so no risk of phantom drain while car is asleep etc.
IIRC the supply under the seat will only switch off when the car is actually asleep but then again I'm not sure if the front is the same now. I had to put in a relay to allow the device to turn off when exiting the car, opposed to waiting for it to go to sleep.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Prior to getting motorised trunk/frunks I fitted the extra strong gas piston struts to at least "automate" the opening of both trunk and frunk.
The trunk piston struts were removed when it was motorised but I still have the front that "auto" open but need manual closure.
Needs extra effort to pull down for closure against the piston force and also a really strong final push to lock closed.
One recent update was changing the frunk closure spring for a softer one. (purchased from Ebay - apparently originally sourced from GreenDrive)
Massive difference - much less effort now required to make that final "clunk" closure of the frunk lock - less likely to dint the lid with single-hand closure.
The spring does make a massive difference :)

Reactions: Jez_GB
I don't like the fact you have to use two hands to safely close the frunk. I tend to not use it at all because I don't like to leave hand prints on it either. I'm a bit weird though.

Reactions: Jez_GB and Neilio
and the frunk hits you under the chin if you stand too close.....

• Funny
Reactions: Neilio and Jez_GB
I changed the frunk struts for the "auto" opening ones and the lighter spring, still had to deal with the two handed closing and hand prints of course. But I did find the frunk a really useful space..... so I've a Hansshow kit ready and waiting for Mr H to fit just as soon as I get a car :cool:
I was put off using the frunk due to the handprint issue and I was also worried about scratches from my wedding ring. Now have the Tesla Offer frunk kit. It’s the business.

Reactions: Durzel and Jez_GB
This is the most relevant topic for this one - this chap reviewed his old and new M3 (2019 vs 2021) and has noticed that the boot has a ridiculously large panel cap which he posits is due to the close mechanism being incorporated within. (6mins 30)

Anyone else noticed this?