Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk retrofit causing car awake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is pretty frustrating; SC asked me to drive by to detach a connector to prevent the battery drain issues (even though they had previously told me they left it unplugged). Now even with it unplugged, I am still seeing a 4% battery drain overnight. If I do some napkin math, this would equate to around 56% loss of range every week... which is the frequency in which I charge the car.

The time and money that I have wasted on this retrofit just to have a degraded quality of life is absolutely unacceptable. They even had the audacity at one point to tell me that the 3-4% range loss per night was "normal".

For those who had this retrofit done prior to the firmware issues... did you see increased battery drain when the car was in standby? This can't be normal...
My trunk retrofit was done nov 2023 . . I immediately saw no sleeping (about 3-4% extra drain for the 12 hrs per day it would normally sleep at home) and occasional error red led w/ Tesla wall connector these issues never ceased until I disconnected connector per this thread. I never had any AC issues/errors. Never noticed any extra battery drain other than when car awake when should have been sleeping

The temperature is as stable as it could possibly get. I live in a condo and park 3 floors down under.
I do experience battery percentage loss when I park in a garage or underground sometimes too. However the car is asleep no issue. It’s most likely due to battery recalibration. If you use iPhone, the latest app actually shows you that the car has been asleep. Also the widget will also show a time lapse at the bottom right which tells you the last time the car was awake if where you park has cellular signal

Attachments

• IMG_2245.jpeg
    IMG_2245.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 8
The SW version number didn't get updated (2024.3.25). I was told by the SC that it was a firmware solely for the trunk module only. I was also told the future SW update would include this FW so this "special" FW would not be reverted.
Could you provide the contact number or email for the technician at this SC? I will ask him to document this fix on their Tesla intranet so we who are outside North America can get this fix. Thx!

I don't have the email nor number of the advisor at the Vanghan SC. I think the adviser's name is Joey. You can try calling the SC for this advisor. Good luck.
I have a interesting issue. Yesterday by retrofit trunk stop working. Simply do nothing. In the service menu in the software status show that a lift gate firmware failed to install. I didn’t contact the service center prior to that lift gate software being applied to me car. I had the cable unplugged so the car can sleep. I try to schedule a mobile service but Tesla claim it can’t be done mobile and I need to pay a 310$ diagnostic fee to get it fixed.

The same thing happened to me once before. Truck just stopped working. Resetting it didn’t work. The cable had been unplugged the entire time. I just left the car and when I returned much later, it was working. As if the car needed to deep sleep.

The same thing happened to me once before. Truck just stopped working. Resetting it didn’t work. The cable had been unplugged the entire time. I just left the car and when I returned much later, it was working. As if the car needed to deep sleep.
I experienced the same thing on Sunday, when I installed the new FW 2024.14.8. The power trunk failed to respond. Didn't work after rebooting the car twice. But after leaving the car for 3 hours it worked again.

I experienced the same thing on Sunday, when I installed the new FW 2024.14.8. The power trunk failed to respond. Didn't work after rebooting the car twice. But after leaving the car for 3 hours it worked again.
Thanks, yes it is back working again. I had to unplug the cable again to allow the car to sleep and charge without the PCS_a022 error.

Btw, do you see this in your service menu?

Attachments

• tesla1.jpg
    tesla1.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 2
Add me to the list of folks with this issue. However, I believe my problem has been resolved...or at least my car has been able to sleep for the last several days. I brought my car into Tesla Service Center the other week. The invoice repair notes state: Vehicle logs show multiple occurrences of front body unable to sleep post power liftgate retrofit. Performed reflash of power liftgate control module. Allowed vehicle to sit and verified vehicle is able to enter sleep.

I believe they let the car sleep for two days before confirming the repair was complete. I've had the car back for a full day, unplugged and it hasn't shown any drain.
Could you tell me which service center you went to so I can wrote them and ask for specifics as to what was "reflashed" to your car? Thanks

Thanks, yes it is back working again. I had to unplug the cable again to allow the car to sleep and charge without the PCS_a022 error.

Btw, do you see this in your service menu?
I just re-plugged my connector and updated to 2024.14.9. I did NOT see that in my service menu - it just shows all ECU updates as green. Unfortunately 2024.14.9 also does not fix the "unable to charge" issue so I had to unplug the connector again.

New here. Had the trunk retrofit installed in Feb. a short time later I began to experience the battery drain because the car wasn’t going to sleep. Long story short, I had the SC disconnect the cable. SC told me to call occasionally to check for the fix so they can reconnect it. Doesn’t sound like the permanent fix is working yet based on these threads! No biggie since the trunk works just not with the UI. I’ll keep checking here before I end up taking it in.

I don't have the email nor number of the advisor at the Vanghan SC. I think the adviser's name is Joey. You can try calling the SC for this advisor. Good luck.
I wrote an email to your SC asking for specifics on your repair, but was slapped with a privacy disclaimer. Seems that only you can get the details and then share with us.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-06-12 at 09.30.16_1b9ef0b2.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-06-12 at 09.30.16_1b9ef0b2.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 3
Add me to the list of folks with this issue. However, I believe my problem has been resolved...or at least my car has been able to sleep for the last several days. I brought my car into Tesla Service Center the other week. The invoice repair notes state: Vehicle logs show multiple occurrences of front body unable to sleep post power liftgate retrofit. Performed reflash of power liftgate control module. Allowed vehicle to sit and verified vehicle is able to enter sleep.

I believe they let the car sleep for two days before confirming the repair was complete. I've had the car back for a full day, unplugged and it hasn't shown any drain.
Hi, did you have a SW update after the reflash of the power liftgate module? If you did, did the SW update overwrite the firmware fix? Thanks

I updated to 2024.14.9 and the Tesla Power Trunk Retrofit problem got even worse!

Previously, I had that wiring harness behind the center console disconnected, and the trunk would open and close, just not from the app. I went out to the car immediately after getting this update installed to find that the trunk would not open AT ALL. I had to crawl inside from the rear seats to open it. Tried rebooting the car, and I also tried reconnecting that wiring harness. Trunk no worky.

Have you guys experienced the same?