Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk retrofit causing car awake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did my retrofit back in Sept in Canada, and the following problems start happening after a SW update in early March

1. PCS_a022 error causing power drain (every 10 mins or so, the car can't sleep, constant popping sound from the battery), regardless whether the car was plugged in or not.
  2. Solid red light at the charge port after overnight schedule charging - subsequent charging fails unless I manually unplug then plug the charging connector.
  3. intermittent climate keeper unavailable - no air from the HVAC
The first time I reported these issues to the service center, they told me it is FW issue which would resolve in the next software update, and the red light at the charge port was related to my wall connector. The didn't fix anything and returned the car back to me on the same day.

Upon further debugging and some online research on my own, I found several articles in forums suggesting power trunk retrofit could be the cause of all these issues.

I left the trunk open overnight and the PCS_a022 errors disappeared and the power drain stopped. The charge port did not show red light at the T logo anymore.

I also tried charging with my mobile connector, i saw the same issue. When charging another Tesla with my wall connector, everything was normal. So I was 100% certain that the charge port issue lied with the car, not my wall connector.

A few days ago I took the car to the service center for the 2nd time with all these findings and online articles, they then claimed that they had spoken with the engineering team, and got a firmware for the power trunk retrofit module. They flashed the firmware and the PCS_a022 error has disappeared, the power drain has stopped and the climate has been working as well. Everything is back to normal.

I hope this information will help others with similar issue. It is very hard for the average users like us and the technicians at the service center to debug an software issue like this one.
I updated to 2024.14.9 today. So far I haven't seen the PCS_A022 error nor the power drain. Will need a bit more time to see if the Climate and the charge port issue will come back.

My speculation is that this SW version does not even touch the firmware of the power trunk module since others on this forum have confirmed that this SW update didn't fix their problem. The SC told me that this version of the SW contained the firmware that had been flashed to my trunk module but I really doubt the accuracy of the claim.

Tesla claims that there's going to be a firmware update pretty soon that will fix the problem, supposedly by upgrading the firmware of the power trunk module. Does anyone know if that 2-wire connector needs to be hooked up for that process to work? My guess is "yes". I think a lot of people are doing firmware updates with that harness disconnected and then reporting that there was no improvement. Should we be hooking it back up before applying the firmware updates?

If you update the firmware while that harness is disconnected then the trunk will stop working. It's only temporary. Let the car sleep for a few hours (with the harness disconnected) and the trunk will start working again.
This is the way. You need literally HOURS of sleep for the trunk to start working.

I got the update installed completely by 6pm. I went out immediately and checked the trunk, found it dead. I went back inside the house (no Sentry Mode) until I left the house at 7:30pm in the vehicle. After shopping (yes Sentry Mode) and returning to my vehicle around 8:15pm, the trunk was still not working. Parked for the night in the garage about 8:30pm.

Went to leave for work the next morning at 8am, and low and behold it worked again.

Just got this retrofit installed today. Confirming this issue still exists. Noticed the app didn't close the trunk; opening from screen required 2 taps (first OPEN tap opened the trunk about 4 inches, then tapped CLOSE to open all the way). Another strange thing was the open icon changed to a location pin-type image for a few seconds.
Ultimately I heard the car constantly waking up then thankfully found this thread. I'm disconnecting the CAN at the center console for the night and going back to the SC tomorrow. Ugh...

Reactions: Massive Attack
I just got a call from my SC advisor saying that FW 2024.20.3 should be able to fix our issue, This version is not yet available in my area but should be in a couple of weeks, I am clarifying with him whether we should replug those two wires first before updating or not.
Just confirmed with SC that I have to bring the car in so they will 1) reconnect the 2 CAN Bus wires, 2) install FW 2024.20.3, and 3) leave the car there overnight so they can monitor car data and confirm no battery drain or other error codes /issues. Fingers crossed.

Just confirmed with SC that I have to bring the car in so they will 1) reconnect the 2 CAN Bus wires, 2) install FW 2024.20.3, and 3) leave the car there overnight so they can monitor car data and confirm no battery drain or other error codes /issues. Fingers crossed.
I just tried this new SW 2024.20.3 with the sequence suggested here. It works! Car was able to sleep for an hour now and will keep watching. Only thing was that I wasn't able to close truck using Tesla app but can close it using the touch button on the car screen. Maybe some bug for the phone app now.