Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Model 3s now Available Direct from Tesla [09.14.2023 - 2018 model 3 not eligible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posting mainly to add that I have a 2019 model 3 ( produced early Oct) and long story short power trunk retrofit done by Tesla works great … that’s the good news of my experience .. read on if you want more detail.

retrofit was done in about 6 hrs but bad news was tech chipped rear glass when removing old struts. Service center was very honest about it and chip was so small I doubt I would have noticed for a while.
So next the service center replaced rear glass which went well. But fast forward few weeks I tried to use rear defroster, no go… it no longer worked (also I noticed car no longer deep sleeping wasn’t sure if coincidence / unrelated). Made appt at diff service center since I would be few hundred miles out of my home town. Told them about retrofit trunk / glass replaced and how defroster not working and also how not deep sleeping
Car was completed in about 3 hours I was told they “ reset “ the defroster circuit 🤷🏻‍♂️ and as to it not deep sleeping I was told they saw nothing in logs to show there was any issue for it not to deep sleep. So I was able to test defroster that same night worked great and few days later when back home … car is deep sleeping again

So overall if I had ability to see future I would have been fine with my manual trunk. My impression with both these service centers is the people work hard, are honest and try their best with a company that is STILL trying to catch up to volume of customers and likely still does not put enough capital into service side.

oh and despite reading it on here and being prepared I have now caught my head twice on trunk when loading 🤣

These are back in stock. I just got mine back today. It took a day and I was given a loaner. Everything seems fine. Only thing odd is what they did with my wiring harness. Did anyone else get theirs back like this? I'm just wondering if this is the normal procedure, or harness broke during service and there was no extra part, or if someone was just lazy. I wouldn't mind much if this ends up functioning the same without compromising water resistance.

Attachments

• 20240130_181154.jpg
    20240130_181154.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20240130_181207.jpg
    20240130_181207.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 51
These are back in stock. I just got mine back today. It took a day and I was given a loaner. Everything seems fine. Only thing odd is what they did with my wiring harness. Did anyone else get theirs back like this? I'm just wondering if this is the normal procedure, or harness broke during service and there was no extra part, or if someone was just lazy. I wouldn't mind much if this ends up functioning the same without compromising water resistance.
Mine was done last month. My SC did a much better job of routing/securing the harness than what your pictures shows.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jerick
Yeah, that wiring harness does not look like mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0965.jpeg
    IMG_0965.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0964.jpeg
    IMG_0964.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Jerick and Durzel
It probably isn't compatible if you have a stock 2018.

if you get a loom adapter and convert the white CANBUS to blue at the back of the centre console then it will be (in my opinion).

The Tesla webstie said a PWS retrofit was incompatible with my car and I opened a service request and got it fitted anyway, because I knew better.

It probably isn't compatible if you have a stock 2018.

if you get a loom adapter and convert the white CANBUS to blue at the back of the centre console then it will be (in my opinion).

The Tesla webstie said a PWS retrofit was incompatible with my car and I opened a service request and got it fitted anyway, because I knew better.
Really?
I currently have the PWS installed and activated with no issue, installed it myself by tapping into the MCU.
Also have the 2.0 center console installed and software reconfiged.
And also have 2022 matrix headlights enabled and activated reconfiged.

Having the 2.0 center console I would have the blue adapter I can't remember 🤷
But I do remembering purchasing an adapter for it so yes the console has the blue plug, but then an adapter to connect to the car.

So you are saying I possibly could get the retrofit done but I need the actual wire loom to the trunk?

Really?
I currently have the PWS installed and activated with no issue, installed it myself by tapping into the MCU.
Also have the 2.0 center console installed and software reconfiged.
And also have 2022 matrix headlights enabled and activated reconfiged.

Having the 2.0 center console I would have the blue adapter I can't remember 🤷
But I do remembering purchasing an adapter for it so yes the console has the blue plug, but then an adapter to connect to the car.

So you are saying I possibly could get the retrofit done but I need the actual wire loom to the trunk?
Basically yes. Since you retrofitted the 2.0 console you will have the adapter because they only ever came with the later blue CANBUS connector.

The Tesla website is presumably disqualifying VINs earlier than a certain date, which your car falls within.

In your case you'd have to book a service request and ask for this trunk retrofit to be done, and if you get any blowback from Tesla techs saying that it's not compatible you could just say that you have had the 2.0 Console professionally retrofitted and it has the correct connector for the retrofit.

I would say that I don't know if there is anything else different, but I'm fairly sure it's just this.

Just went to check mine …. mine looks like the red model 3 in ur pics .. the hard plastic conduit

• Informative
Reactions: Jerick
I wish I could get this done on my 2018 Model 3. Really fed up with how inconsistent the Hannshow kit is sometimes. I can't even do the trunk harness recall because I have an aftermarket trunk motor. My trunk button no longer works.
Same here I like to keep OEM as possible.
I would pay $1,000 to have it done on my 2018 if it was OEM.
Supposedly if you've done the 2.0 center console retrofit you should be able to have this done I have not inquired with Tesla service yet but was told if you did a 2.0 center console that they should have no problem doing it.🤷
Apparently that's the hiccup is the plug on the back of the rear center console is the reason why it will not work on older models but have not confirmed.

Reactions: Dave EV
Same here I like to keep OEM as possible.
I would pay $1,000 to have it done on my 2018 if it was OEM.
Supposedly if you've done the 2.0 center console retrofit you should be able to have this done I have not inquired with Tesla service yet but was told if you did a 2.0 center console that they should have no problem doing it.🤷
Apparently that's the hiccup is the plug on the back of the rear center console is the reason why it will not work on older models but have not confirmed.

Would love if Tesla could offer this workaround directly. I'd happily pay!

Reactions: Dave EV
So put a service to get in to have the retrofit done on my 2018 with 2.0 center console retrofit with the blue plug.
And of course Tesla gives me the generic response saying my car is incompatible.
I messaged them back explaining that I have the correct harness that determines if it's compatible or not.
Waiting for a response back
1000001624.jpg

Reactions: Durzel