Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Model 3s now Available Direct from Tesla [09.14.2023 - 2018 model 3 not eligible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am hoping that those who get it done provide some feedback on it. I am not worried about opening height since the model 3 isnt a hatchback, but I admit freely that I have missed having a powered trunk from my BMW days, and its exacerbated when I drive my wifes model Y with its nice powered trunk.

When I get mine done ill chime in if the opening height looks different.

For anyone following along on this thread, I got my estimate from Tesla confirming my appointment. It has the part numbers for this retrofit listed on it, so I thought I would share as there will likely be people interested.

My ask would be, if you ordered one of these retrofits, when you get your estimate with your part numbers, compare it to this one I got and see if the part numbers are the same, etc. My car is a 2018 Model 3 Performance.

Part
Powertrunk Retrofit Kit (1712460-00-A). QTY 1
Bodyside Lamp Connector Gasket (1453382-00-A) QTY 2
Bodyside Lamp - T-Stud Gasket (1453381-00-A) QTY 4

For anyone following along on this thread, I got my estimate from Tesla confirming my appointment. It has the part numbers for this retrofit listed on it, so I thought I would share as there will likely be people interested.

My ask would be, if you ordered one of these retrofits, when you get your estimate with your part numbers, compare it to this one I got and see if the part numbers are the same, etc. My car is a 2018 Model 3 Performance.

Part
Powertrunk Retrofit Kit (1712460-00-A). QTY 1
Bodyside Lamp Connector Gasket (1453382-00-A) QTY 2
Bodyside Lamp - T-Stud Gasket (1453381-00-A) QTY 4
Same parts are listed on my invoice. I have a 2018 Performance without the performance upgrade package.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
You and me both …. Dang gone in <24 h 😂 … obviously a factory feature ppl wanted
Console yourself with the fact that those of us getting it are getting (per my estimate) part numbers ending in "00-A". I am hoping that the fact this was out in another country for a while has had a chance for the kinks to get worked out, but that part number "00-A" does make me a bit nervous, lol.

• Funny
Reactions: Electrph
Console yourself with the fact that those of us getting it are getting (per my estimate) part numbers ending in "00-A". I am hoping that the fact this was out in another country for a while has had a chance for the kinks to get worked out, but that part number "00-A" does make me a bit nervous, lol.
I’m not, it’s not like it won’t be under warranty if it fails or has issues within the year.

I am hoping that those who get it done provide some feedback on it. I am not worried about opening height since the model 3 isnt a hatchback,

The Model 3 trunk does open in a hatchback like manner and ends up fairly high like a hatchback. It may be more likely to hit long loads on roof racks than trunk lids on other cars.

The newer Model 3 with power trunk from the factory does allow setting the open height lower than the highest possible.

The Model 3 trunk does open in a hatchback like manner and ends up fairly high like a hatchback. It may be more likely to hit long loads on roof racks than trunk lids on other cars.

The newer Model 3 with power trunk from the factory does allow setting the open height lower than the highest possible.

I guess we will have to just agree to disagree on this. I have been driving my model 3 since 2018 and nothing at all about its trunk says anything like "hatchback" to me, not even close. The car that my model 3 replaced was a BMW 435, which had a fastback style hatchback. This car has a regular trunk, to me, no different than any sedan with a trunk.

I guess we will have to just agree to disagree on this. I have been driving my model 3 since 2018 and nothing at all about its trunk says anything like "hatchback" to me, not even close. The car that my model 3 replaced was a BMW 435, which had a fastback style hatchback. This car has a regular trunk, to me, no different than any sedan with a trunk.
I have to agree with this, the 3 is not a hatchback style. Usually, a hatchback/fastback would include the entire rear glass which would also be a part of the trunk storage space. The 3's trunk does not open with the rear glass and the rear glass is not a part of the trunk storage space.

I actually use the frunk in my model 3 fairly often, even though its not powered. The bag hooks that are present in my 2018 model 3 make it convenient for me to use for small bags / take out food. I dont use the one in my wifes 2022 model Y at all, because it doesnt have the bag hooks.

Its one of those small things that seems minimal but at least to me makes a huge difference (more than the frunk being powered or not, anyway).

Reactions: SalisburySam
He means the height of the car with trunk open, which opens almost as high as a hatchback hatch, given the car is sloped like one and the hinge design Tesla chose (even though the glass does not go up with the trunk). I had a regular sedan (an old Camry) prior to the Model 3 and the Model 3 trunk is nothing like that.

I couldn't find a good picture of my older Camry with trunk open, but here's a Corolla that opens to a similar height as my older car.
hqdefault.jpg

Here's a Model 3:
rear4_1024x1024@2x.jpg

For the Model 3, I do have to occasionally worry about the trunk banging on the top if I park near a low tree or if I park too close in the rear (given how it swings out). Also the older Model 3s without a power trunk had handles inside the trunk because shorter people would struggle to close the trunk, since they can't easily close it leveraging the outside edge (like the guy is doing in the Corolla picture) given that edge is above head height.

Tesla warns the trunk can open up to 6.5 feet tall.
"Depending on configuration (such as wheel selection), your vehicle's rear trunk can open up to approximately 6.5 feet (2 meters)."
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-3667D28B-5B3B-49CE-A1C1-3D70AC60D9F6.html

As such the power trunk has even more utility for the Model 3 versus for a vehicle with a more conventional trunk.

Last edited:
Just realized today this retrofit option had come to the US... very eager to get it for my 2018 (long range dual motor non-performance) particularly as I Uber in it and folks are constantly confused by the difference between my trunk and those they've experienced on M3s from Hertz (either that they've rented, or that other Uber drivers have) as well as just the general expectation that any modern car, especially a nice-ish one, would have a powered liftgate. (I mean heck, my wife's 2016 RAV4, which cost like 1/2 what my car did, has a powered trunk.)

Seems from the thread that the retrofit sold out in hours/minutes after being announced... I signed up for the "get notified" process via the app but would be curious from anyone who gets it done on theirs, if you have a chance to talk to anyone at the service center, if they have any idea when they'll open order-ability back up again? Really hoping this isn't just that they over-ordered power liftgate parts for pre-Highland M3s and this was just a one-time dump of extra parts or something.