Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Model 3s now Available Direct from Tesla [09.14.2023 - 2018 model 3 not eligible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone following along on this thread, I got my estimate from Tesla confirming my appointment. It has the part numbers for this retrofit listed on it, so I thought I would share as there will likely be people interested.

My ask would be, if you ordered one of these retrofits, when you get your estimate with your part numbers, compare it to this one I got and see if the part numbers are the same, etc. My car is a 2018 Model 3 Performance.

Part
Powertrunk Retrofit Kit (1712460-00-A). QTY 1
Bodyside Lamp Connector Gasket (1453382-00-A) QTY 2
Bodyside Lamp - T-Stud Gasket (1453381-00-A) QTY 4

My original appointment for this retrofit was this friday (09/22), and I just got a notification in the Tesla app that it was rescheduled for next tuesday (09/26). This is one of the things that frustrates me about Tesla service in general (random re scheduling without prior contact).

I get that things happen, maybe the part isnt in stock, etc. So, Im not railing at the moon for the appointment being rescheduled. I am railing at the moon because they just picked a new day and time without asking me, assuming that this new date and time (and not something later or a different day) is better for me.

Yes, I know I can go in the Tesla app and re schedule it again, but then that makes the rescheduling "my fault" not theirs, and will show like I am the one moving the appointment around, not them.

A simple message in the app even would suffice, such as "I am sorry, we will need you to reschedule the appointment due to parts availability, please choose a time after on or after X day / X time", would be fine, but they dont even do that, they just re schedule.

@jjrandorin Assume this is a SC-only item (meaning not something mobile service can come to you and do)? If they're moving around the date but they're coming to you, I would be more forgiving / less annoyed about it, but if you have to schedule your day/week around a SC trip I agree this is sort of... rude, I guess is the word... on their part.

Reactions: BigNick
@jjrandorin Assume this is a SC-only item (meaning not something mobile service can come to you and do)? If they're moving around the date but they're coming to you, I would be more forgiving / less annoyed about it, but if you have to schedule your day/week around a SC trip I agree this is sort of... rude, I guess is the word... on their part.

They didnt offer mobile service for it when I scheduled it. Whether its mobile service or not, though, the "scheduling your day around it" part doesnt change.

Some days im in the office and some days I am working remote (which probably matches many peoples working situation right now). Even if it was mobile service, if they just re scheduled it to some other day for mobile service, there would be no guarantee that I would actually be available for mobile service that day.

I am fairly sure I know why they do it this way (because rescheduling appointments would be someones full time job otherwise, basically) but it still annoys me.

They didnt offer mobile service for it when I scheduled it. Whether its mobile service or not, though, the "scheduling your day around it" part doesnt change.

Some days im in the office and some days I am working remote (which probably matches many peoples working situation right now). Even if it was mobile service, if they just re scheduled it to some other day for mobile service, there would be no guarantee that I would actually be available for mobile service that day.

I am fairly sure I know why they do it this way (because rescheduling appointments would be someones full time job otherwise, basically) but it still annoys me.
When I had a service appointment, they reschedule based on parts arrival. Sometimes they forget and I had to check up on the part status and remind them to reschedule. I imagine sometimes people don't catch it and the person gets there and the part is not available yet.

the button is different than the one advertised
Yeah doesn't look that great. Liftgate trim from OEM power trunk might be plug and play (part # 1558860-00-E) ?....

1695340888976.png

Attachments

• 1695340928280.png
    1695340928280.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Button really lets it down. I know it’s minor but it just looks like one of the aftermarket kits we’re already using.

Hopefully the aforementioned OEM trim panel is a straight swap and compatible with this.
The button itself looks the same, but the surround is retrofit. It makes complete sense to do this, as it doesn't end up wasting the whole trunk panel. I think Tesla however really should update their website to reflect how the button actually looks, instead of using the factory one.

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
OP updated thread saying only one strut is powered.
OP did a later update again that both are powered, he just didn't see the other wire. Maybe someone else can confirm as that OP didn't seem to be very certain. The two struts do look identical however, while those of us with the factory one have two obviously different struts (right one is different from left one).

The OP also said there is no height memory, but the Tesla China retrofit (which looks to use the same struts) has a height memory function (as demonstrated by the video, basically force the trunk to the desired height, then long press the button).

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam3
The button itself looks the same, but the surround is retrofit. It makes complete sense to do this, as it doesn't end up wasting the whole trunk panel. I think Tesla however really should update their website to reflect how the button actually looks, instead of using the factory one.
Being pedantic but the button definitely isn't the same.. it has a raised edge all around, whereas the OEM button (and on the retrofit page) is completely flat.

The OEM solution looks... OEM. The retrofit button looks like an alternative Chinese aftermarket supplier.

Thats not to say the rest of it doesn't function a lot better, doesn't require permanent connection to the 12v, is warrantied, etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 11.24.13.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 11.24.13.png
    874.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 11.24.48.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 11.24.48.png
    306.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
By button, mean the circle you actually push, not the raised surround area. They have that raised surround area likely because it wouldn't be possible to cut out a perfect circle every time for a button to fit like factory. Having the surround leaves a good margin for error.

The button you actually push has a raised lip. The OEM button is flat. I don't mean the surround the buttons sit in.

I assumed the retrofit kit included a replacement trunk trim piece that would have included the button, wiring, etc. The part number was listed above. Instead it seems they drill out a hole in the existing trim, much like you would on the aftermarket kits, and fit the button & its surround. As you say this surround exists to cover over the hole they made that wouldn't be neat.

Reactions: Adam3
Yeah doesn't look that great. Liftgate trim from OEM power trunk might be plug and play (part # 1558860-00-E) ?....

View attachment 976106

I dont love the look of the button in that post you shared, either. I have already paid for this, and it wont stop me from going through with the purchase, but my opinion (for what its worth, which admittedly isnt much) is the same one that @Durzel shared:

Button really lets it down. I know it’s minor but it just looks like one of the aftermarket kits we’re already using.

It looks like an aftermarket bolt on, instead of OEM.

The flip side of that, however, is its pretty rare for any Manufacturers to offer this type of retrofit anyway, and by getting them to do it, we theoretically get proper integration with Tesla software, no 12V issues, etc. Thats worth quite a bit in my book, which is why I am going to go through with it anyway.

Still, The look isnt great, I agree, but the functionality is there, and I am the only one who will see that button, really, so its not that big of a deal..... right? ( 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 ) (<----- obviously trying to convince myself).