Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Model 3s now Available Direct from Tesla [09.14.2023 - 2018 model 3 not eligible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have the 2020+ center console swap with the harness conversion adapter I wonder if the retrofit will be plug and play then.

The problem there, is that this is an OEM retrofit, and they have to warranty it. There is no OEM retrofit of the console, so even if this would work (it probably would), it would likely be hard to convince a SC to do it (unless one has a good, in person relationship with someone in authority there, which is very hard to do with Tesla).

Reactions: Durzel
Just got this email regarding my retrofit purchase.
October 2018 build, Long Range Dual Motor. It has to be related to the different CANBUS connector used in the early Model 3s. I sent a reply with some questions, will update if I hear back (lol)
Have you asked if they plan on retrofitting the 2018 models and older? This is really upsetting.

March 2018 LR. I got a generic Tesla Shop cancellation e-mail for the retrofit and had to come here to find out what's going on. Tesla didn't even have the courtesy of sending an e-mail explaining the retrofit is incompatible like some others got. Maybe it's for the better. That button looks quite ugly.

I got "the email" this morning. Can't say I wasn't expecting it having a 2018. Maybe Tesla will notice the demand and create an upgrade that is compatible with older M3s, especially if it's just a wiring harness change. If so I hope it doesn't take 2.5 years!

If someone here with a 2019 does end up getting the upgrade, maybe they can ask service what the incompatibility is for us.

I can't think what else would be incompatible between 2018 and 2019/2020 cars other than the change in the CANBUS connector from white to blue (with pinout changes). I'm pretty sure I've read people doing console swaps that have either bought or made an adapter for this.

Normally this adapter would convert the white to the blue one, for when one wants to do a Console 2.0 retrofit, but I can't see any reason one couldn't knock up something similar to the attached cable, albeit with the blue female CANBUS connector on the end.

Of course you have the problem of "computer says no" with Tesla service centres.. but that might notbe insurmountable.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 16.46.33.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 16.46.33.png
    925.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I can't think what else would be incompatible between 2018 and 2019/2020 cars other than the change in the CANBUS connector from white to blue (with pinout changes). I'm pretty sure I've read people doing console swaps that have either bought or made an adapter for this.

Normally this adapter would convert the white to the blue one, for when one wants to do a Console 2.0 retrofit, but I can't see any reason one couldn't knock up something similar to the attached cable, albeit with the blue female CANBUS connector on the end.

Of course you have the problem of "computer says no" with Tesla service centres.. but that might notbe insurmountable.
This totally makes sense as when you look at 3rd party retrofits they explicitly say there's a different connector for 2017/2018 cars.

This totally makes sense as when you look at 3rd party retrofits they explicitly say there's a different connector for 2017/2018 cars.
The retrofit definitely has to plug in there, because it needs to tell the car what the trunk status is. The trunk doesn't have a secondary latch like the frunk (which as I understand it is why the auto frunk kits don't need to plug into it).

If they have manufactured a loom for this retrofit, then it sounds like they've only made one with a blue connector.

You know....3rd party trunk and frunk openers are good now.

I have them on my 2018 P3D.

I also have 172K+ miles on my car so I'm not at all concerned about a warranty.

Its not a "warranty" thing for me any longer, since my car is also outside of the 4 year 50k warranty (although I still have the battery warranty). For me, Teslas are uniquely positioned "against" aftermarket stuff like this, Since Tesla changes stuff all the time and the only thing they have a duty to make sure works are OEM setups.

I get why other people do aftermarket for stuff like this, but I would rather have OEM or not do it at all. I am not judging people who do aftermarket at all, but it just isnt for me for this kind of thing.

Yeah, I'd swap my auto trunk lifter I think, even though I would miss the foot sensor.

As you say the OEM kit has the benefit of being warrantied in its own right (perhaps only for a year if your car is otherwise outside warranty, but even so), the car will be programmed to be cognisant of it - so no more "fudging" the CAN signal to read the brake pedal status to enable a close option, it will sleep when the car does, it'll work during Lightshow (if that's your bag), etc, etc.

It's a no-brainer in my opinion even though I'm perfectly happy with my EVOffer trunk kit.

Reactions: jjrandorin

For one - there are 2 different connectors for the year 2018. Inside of that there are 2 different pinouts for each connector.

I've been through this process with 3rd party accessories. Thats why they often ask me for my VIN number. The VIN number easily provides knowledgeable CAN bus connector vendors to the correct one.

Now - why doesn't Tesla have all 4 connector options available and ready to go? Beats me.