Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Model 3s now Available Direct from Tesla [09.14.2023 - 2018 model 3 not eligible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah mine was built in October 2018.
That's some BS to miss it by 2 months.
I highly doubt that they will come up with something for 2018s.
But I'm afraid to go aftermarket as I heard they get kind of janky. Would love an OEM solution.
Already have PWS, CCS enabled, Matrix headlights, 2.0 center console (software enabled as well) On my 2018 M3P

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231202_163303.jpg
    Screenshot_20231202_163303.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 82
Yeah mine was built in October 2018.
That's some BS to miss it by 2 months.
I highly doubt that they will come up with something for 2018s.
But I'm afraid to go aftermarket as I heard they get kind of janky. Would love an OEM solution.
Already have PWS, CCS enabled, Matrix headlights, 2.0 center console (software enabled as well) On my 2018 M3P

How did you get matrix headlights?

How did you get matrix headlights?
Hardware wise it's plug and play
It's the the software side that's tricky.
The cae has to be reconfiged for them and requires engineering level access to Tesla toolbox. I had someone remote in via TeamViewer, laptop and Ethernet cable to reconfig with engineering level access to toolbox.

I got my Model 3 back with the powered trunk retrofit installed. I dropped the car off at 11:00 am and they said it would be 2-3 hours which I didn't believe. I got the car back as soon as it was ready at 6:30 pm, so 7-1/2 hours total - not as long as I thought it might take given my car was the first this SC performed a trunk retrofit on.

Everything appears to be working properly including opening the trunk by hand and letting it automatically open fully, pushing the new button on the trunk to close it, and using both open/close commands on the in-car screen and in the app. There was only one issue that I found and that was the two trunk interior lights were not working. They took the car back in for 15 minutes and fixed the lights.

It is correct that the trunk does not open as much as it did before. It's not a problem for us since my wife drives this car and she is shorter. I have a before photo and will take an after photo from the same perspective tomorrow then post them both.
Hi. Can you please tell me if there are one or two powered struts? My friends '23 M3 has just one one the left, with a "normal strut" on the left.

Thanks!

I would easily give up my powered trunk for whatever they charge to put it on another car.

On a hatchback its super useful, but its not like the 3's trunk is hard to open or close by hand

I like the powered feature, mainly because if you are away, you can open AND close it. Having the ability to open it remotely puts someone in a potential situation they are away and accentually/inadvertently open it and then not be able to close it. I would love to have an OEM powered fronk for both my 3 and Y.

Both struts are powered with the retrofit.
That is great news! I’m replacing a dead Hanshow unit and didn’t keep the old hardware (I know… I’m a dumbass for that one). I didn’t want to have to buy the right side manual strut. Thanks for the quick response! Going in 12/18 for the work.

One more question, does the kit have a foot kick opener?

😎

That is great news! I’m replacing a dead Hanshow unit and didn’t keep the old hardware (I know… I’m a dumbass for that one). I didn’t want to have to buy the right side manual strut. Thanks for the quick response! Going in 12/18 for the work.

One more question, does the kit have a foot kick opener?

😎
Sadly, no foot kick opener. Also (as has been mentioned earlier) the powered trunk retrofit doesn't open as high as the un-powered trunk.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Sadly, no foot kick opener. Also (as has been mentioned earlier) the powered trunk retrofit doesn't open as high as the un-powered trunk.
Worth noting that the Highland Model 3 is also twin strut, and is much quieter in operation than my aftermarket EVOffer system. Sounds almost German?

The opening height is pretty low though, conspicuously so. I don’t know if it can be raised but I have no reason to assume the demo vehicle I saw had been messed with.

I had my appt to install the power trunk retrofit yesterday. I dropped the car in the morning as per the appt and the app said to pick it up late afternoon as it's all finished. So I went to pick it up - and nothing was done. They told me because of missing part. About 2 hours of my time yesterday wasted to drop the car off and then pick it up.
Now I have a new appt pending approval and with no date. Am wondering if it will be two months without anybody doing anything on it.
All of that didn't prevent Tesla from collecting my $800 about 3 weeks ago when I ordered.

Well - it didn't work for me.
As it turns out - the retrofit doesn't work for some 2019 models - and my car is one of those.

This was a whole saga:
  • ordered and paid in Oct
  • in Nov (about 4 weeks later) went for scheduled install; after keeping the car for a day they told me missing part, have to reschedule
  • nothing happened for 2 more weeks; after asking got the 2nd appt scheduled for about 4 weeks after the 1st (earliest available)
  • dropped the car in on Monday, on Thursday night got msg all completed; when I went to pick up the car - nothing done and when I asked was told my car is incompatible
Now I need to get a refund - and that is proving somewhat difficult. The service center sent me a msg last night after I picked up the car asking for the order so they can cancel/refund. I sent it early this morning - didn't hear anything back, went into a black hole. Called Tesla this afternoon - the lady told me on the phone she can't do anything, have to use their web site. The web site only sends email to support, doesn't permit doing anything else. So I submitted that email. Let's see how painful it would be to get my refund.

Well - it didn't work for me.
As it turns out - the retrofit doesn't work for some 2019 models - and my car is one of those.

This was a whole saga:
  • ordered and paid in Oct
  • in Nov (about 4 weeks later) went for scheduled install; after keeping the car for a day they told me missing part, have to reschedule
  • nothing happened for 2 more weeks; after asking got the 2nd appt scheduled for about 4 weeks after the 1st (earliest available)
  • dropped the car in on Monday, on Thursday night got msg all completed; when I went to pick up the car - nothing done and when I asked was told my car is incompatible
Now I need to get a refund - and that is proving somewhat difficult. The service center sent me a msg last night after I picked up the car asking for the order so they can cancel/refund. I sent it early this morning - didn't hear anything back, went into a black hole. Called Tesla this afternoon - the lady told me on the phone she can't do anything, have to use their web site. The web site only sends email to support, doesn't permit doing anything else. So I submitted that email. Let's see how painful it would be to get my refund.

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through - it sounds very disappointing and frustrating. Your experience underscores how Tesla doesn't necessarily make changes, sometimes significant ones, at model year changeovers since they don't really have model years in the traditional sense. You'd hope that they would at least have a good record of the design changes that went into each vehicle and could access those records for cases like this. Your story is a painful lesson that they don't, or if they do, they don't check those records before attempting a retrofit.

I would easily give up my powered trunk for whatever they charge to put it on another car.

On a hatchback its super useful, but its not like the 3's trunk is hard to open or close by hand

True it is easy to open and close by hand, but try that after driving in Nordic winter conditions with salted roads. You better bring rubber gloves or something to wash you hands with you unless you want everything you touch become wet, sandy and salted.

I didn't use the rear trunk half of the year because of that, now with powered trunk I use it all the time.

Just got HAL back from getting the kit installed. The Hanshow opener I had put in 3+ years ago failed (right strut seizing) and not worth spending repair money. The fact that it took longer than advertised was a result of them having to pull some of the old hardware.

The Tesla version is much smoother and quieter than the Hanshow was. The only bummer is the lack of a foot kick. Other than that, I’m very happy with both the SC and the upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: Electrph and Durzel
Just got HAL back from getting the kit installed. The Hanshow opener I had put in 3+ years ago failed (right strut seizing) and not worth spending repair money. The fact that it took longer than advertised was a result of them having to pull some of the old hardware.

The Tesla version is much smoother and quieter than the Hanshow was. The only bummer is the lack of a foot kick. Other than that, I’m very happy with both the SC and the upgrade.
I guess they just reused the hole from the Hansshow kit in the trunk liner for the button?