Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Wall 2 quote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you with PW2. In the quote, did Tesla tell you which circuits would be backed up and which would not.

I put the down payment, and had a survey guy out. The house can only be partially backed up, which is just fine. I got a price quote but the sales person won't tell me which circuits will be backed up and which will not.

This seams pretty basic. Does the car charger make the cut or not? How about the AC, water heater, etc.?

When you got your power wall 2 quotes for a did it include which circuits would be backed up?

If I just accept the quote maybe I will switch from sales to an electrician who knows what is to be installed.

What was your experience? How is this supposed to work?

Thanks,
Ian

I did not have the best confidence with the initial sales person I had with Tesla. As I got closer to installation, the technical expertise of the staff got better. I had an awesome field crew, but wished I had the opportunity to iron some details prior to their arrival.

My only regret was not having the load center (for a full backup) rated at a higher amperage such as 225 A vs the 200 A that was installed. With 200 A, I am limited on upgrade options in the future such as a third powerwall or more solar panels.

Did the quote include which circuits could not be backed up?
It would be helpful to the process if you figured out which circuits you thought were important to be backed up.

Most of my household circuits are on a sub-panel and the entire sub-panel is connected to the Gateway. There were 2 120V circuits that were important to me that were in the main panel. The installers were able to extend those load wires from the main panel into the Generation Panel so they would be backed up.

Did the quote include which circuits could not be backed up?

Since I was doing a whole home backup, all my circuits were able to be backed up. All circuits were relocated to a new load center. Fortunately my adviser shared the construction drawings with me that showed all the circuits backed up on the Breaker Schedule.

In general, the number of Powerwalls you have (30 A each) limit the max circuit you can back up. Thus: 1 Powerwall = 30 A Max, 2 Powewrall = 60 A Max, Powerwall = 90 A Max, and so on.

As miimaru stated there can be physical limitation on how your home was wired that can limit/complicate what can be backup.

For what it's worth I'm not seeing 60amp max output from two Powerwalls.

Details:
I have two AC Powerwall 2's . My whole home 200 Amp service, as well as the Tesla Wall Connector (vehicle charger 60amp breaker - 48amp draw) is backed up.

I can draw a continuous maximum of 10.1kW from both the Powerwalls which translates to approx 42 amps @ 240V. Each Powerwall is on it's own 30 Amp breaker.

For what it's worth I'm not seeing 60amp max output from two Powerwalls.

Details:
I have two AC Powerwall 2's . My whole home 200 Amp service, as well as the Tesla Wall Connector (vehicle charger 60amp breaker - 48amp draw) is backed up.

I can draw a continuous maximum of 10.1kW from both the Powerwalls which translates to approx 42 amps @ 240V. Each Powerwall is on it's own 30 Amp breaker.
What you are seeing is consistent with the specs. Each Powerwall can output 5kW continuous. If you were off-grid, it could output 7.5kW for short periods like starting up a pump or compressor. The Powerwall circuit breakers need to be up-rated for continuous draw just like EVSEs are.

My quote originally only stated that my 120V loads would be backed up (I only went for a single powerwall), however they ended up relocating my HVAC and an Oven that are 240V and on 30A breakers too. I know for a fact already that it can't handle my old clunker HVAC and that will either need moving back to the main panel, or replacing soon since it will trip the powerwall.

My quote originally only stated that my 120V loads would be backed up (I only went for a single powerwall), however they ended up relocating my HVAC and an Oven that are 240V and on 30A breakers too. I know for a fact already that it can't handle my old clunker HVAC and that will either need moving back to the main panel, or replacing soon since it will trip the powerwall.
Have they offered to install a soft-starter so it'll reduce your HVAC's start-up draw?

@NuShrike No they didn’t and I didnt press them about it either since adding it was a bit off script.

Do you think I shouldve?
Yes, because it's their usual typical script, going by the other installation tales in this forum.

The times they haven't offered is if they privately think your compressor "isn't compatible" with their soft-starter. Then, they won't mention it at all. It's in quotes because compatible is debatable after the research I've done ...

Last edited:
We'll in side sales stated that of the to main disconnects they could only power 1 (already knew that) and that they would not be moving any critical circuits from the other box.

I accepted the quote for 4 PW2 to get this moving forward. I will have an electrician do a load analysis on my two boxes and determine the margin in the box to be backed up. It is presently a 150A disconnect and the gateway is rated for 200 so there should be some margin. Worse comes to worse I will have the electrician move some critical circuits to box 1 and some noncritical to box 2 to keep the loads the same.

Now I wait patiently (trying) for the order to be filled. How long did your order take to arrive?

Thanks for all of the advice...

My understanding of a partial backup system from one powerwall is it will backup all your 120 volt circuits and maybe one 30 amp circuit from your main service panel, anything above 30 amps will not be backup from one Powerwall, please respond if inaccurate