Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Available Energy After 2 Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the TEG. I had scrolled down to verify the firmware version, so power flow is cutoff. However, you can see I'm logged in

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210706-155203.png
    Screenshot_20210706-155203.png
    155.7 KB · Views: 108
ok, that worked. Does the API return JSON? In any case, I can see the nominal_full_pack_energy. I have 3 PWs:
PW1 = 11,162
PW2 = 13,401
PW3 = 13,414

Looks like PW1 is deteriorating much faster
Yes, the API returns a JSON block. Glad that you got this working. Seems strange that they don't degrade uniformly. There was another user with 3 PWs that has the same behavior. Might be coincidence, might be something else.

Should the max be 13,500? or 14,000? I believe there was discussion on that, but no conclusion?
The PWs were specifed as 13,500 when I had them installed in September 2020. I saw that post about a spec sheet saying 14,000 but they did not ring true to me.

We know that the app presents a different full percentage than what you get if you log in directly which seems to be an expectation buffer. This also applies to the reserve threshold.

The PWs were specifed as 13,500 when I had them installed in September 2020. I saw that post about a spec sheet saying 14,000 but they did not ring true to me.

We know that the app presents a different full percentage than what you get if you log in directly which seems to be an expectation buffer. This also applies to the reserve threshold.
If 13,500, then I'm good with the 2, but not so much with the 1st one.
Yeah - I saw that Reserve difference when I logged in. Due to excessive heat, I have my reserve set pretty high at 60%, but the TEG said 63%

If 13,500, then I'm good with the 2, but not so much with the 1st one.
Yeah - I saw that Reserve difference when I logged in. Due to excessive heat, I have my reserve set pretty high at 60%, but the TEG said 63%

70% of 13.5 = 9.45. Tesla likely wont do anything until a powerwall hits that number. Both of mine are mid 10s after 18 months, but I dont think they were ever 13.5. Tesla tier 1 rep slipped up during one conversation I had and told me that on installation day they reported as 12.5 (tesla apparently has that info).

I have been debating on whether I push it or not, but since I figure that my powerwalls will lose another 1kW over the next 8.5 years, I will end up with a replacement at some point anyway.

Reactions: BGbreeder
70% of 13.5 = 9.45. Tesla likely wont do anything until a powerwall hits that number. Both of mine are mid 10s after 18 months, but I dont think they were ever 13.5. Tesla tier 1 rep slipped up during one conversation I had and told me that on installation day they reported as 12.5 (tesla apparently has that info).

I have been debating on whether I push it or not, but since I figure that my powerwalls will lose another 1kW over the next 8.5 years, I will end up with a replacement at some point anyway.
I'd say you are pretty much guaranteed replacements which in the end might be a good thing

I wonder if they are going to use that 12.5kWh as the starting point and make you get down to 8.75kWh before replacement?

I thought about that, but they sold me a product that was advertised as having 13.5kW of storage each. Unlike the cars, where they removed the battery size, the powerwalls were sold with a specific amount of storage available. Thats why I have been considering pushing for a replacement, but figured that once I got a replacement, it would likely be refurb, and would only end up having something "above warranty" numbers, or "above 9.45 storage".

I'm sticking with the idea that a number reported as "nominal_full_pack_energy" is on a scale with a full value of 14.0 kWh (as per the spec sheet). If not, it is misnamed. This would be easily clarified by checking https:/x.x.x.x/api/system when the Powerwall is at 0% and seeing what it reports for "nominal_energy_remaining."

Cheers, Wayne

I'm sticking with the idea that a number reported as "nominal_full_pack_energy" is on a scale with a full value of 14.0 kWh (as per the spec sheet). If not, it is misnamed. This would be easily clarified by checking https:/x.x.x.x/api/system when the Powerwall is at 0% and seeing what it reports for "nominal_energy_remaining."

Cheers, Wayne
I don't see why this number would be scaled in the API called. Looking at the PW I do see that the Total Energy is listed as 14 kWh and the Usable Energy is listed as 13.5 kWh. My PWs are both reporting over 13,500 for the nominal_pack_energy fields, so this definitely seems like an absolute number.

I don't see why this number would be scaled in the API called. Looking at the PW I do see that the Total Energy is listed as 14 kWh and the Usable Energy is listed as 13.5 kWh. My PWs are both reporting over 13,500 for the nominal_pack_energy fields, so this definitely seems like an absolute number.
Mine are reporting 13756 and 13800 so clearly they can go above 13500.