Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 For Sale - Dallas, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I moved last year I had my Powerwall 2 uninstalled (by a certified Tesla contractor, they can attest to its operability) thinking I would get a new system in the home we would move in to. This 'new' house has some challenges that are leading me to push out getting a new system for a few years (until roof can be replaced). In the meantime I'd like to sell the powerwall, especially since it's still within its 10 year warranty ( still has 5 years left). Not quite sure what the after market is on these but open to best offer. I live in Dallas Texas and can send pics of the unit, serial number etc. Thanks

Reactions: ElectricIAC
When I moved last year I had my Powerwall 2 uninstalled (by a certified Tesla contractor, they can attest to its operability) thinking I would get a new system in the home we would move in to. This 'new' house has some challenges that are leading me to push out getting a new system for a few years (until roof can be replaced). In the meantime I'd like to sell the powerwall, especially since it's still within its 10 year warranty ( still has 5 years left). Not quite sure what the after market is on these but open to best offer. I live in Dallas Texas and can send pics of the unit, serial number etc. Thanks
How long has the system been uninstalled? The concern being if they run out of juice its a huge process to get it running again. I might be interested depending on price.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Upvote 0
How long has the system been uninstalled? The concern being if they run out of juice its a huge process to get it running again. I might be interested depending on price.

Exactly. Depending upon the state of charge when that was uninstalled, it might have fallen below the minimum state of charge and could be a 250-lb paperweight now.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0
How can I find out the current state? It was uninstalled last March
There was a thread on here somewhere discussing this situation. But if the PW was at 100% at deinstallation its possible everything is fine. But there is definitely a shelf life on them. I would get it sold in the next few months at at a year there is a better than 50/50 chance its "bricked"

Upvote 0
I had my Powerwall un-installed at my old house, and since it was being used only for backup at that time, it was at or near 100% SOC.

The unit sat "off", uninstalled, and on its side in my basement at my new house from October 2020 to June, 2022.

When they hooked it up to the new Powerwall and solar install, it had 94% charge remaining.

In another thread, an ex-Tesla Energy employee who worked on Powerwall said the shelf life is one year starting at 25% SOC (that's how they are shipped).

And even in the case of a very low SOC, they have a procedure to "jump start" the battery back to life, but night not work in the most extreme cases of drain.

Upvote 0
I had my Powerwall un-installed at my old house, and since it was being used only for backup at that time, it was at or near 100% SOC.

The unit sat "off", uninstalled, and on its side in my basement at my new house from October 2020 to June, 2022.

When they hooked it up to the new Powerwall and solar install, it had 94% charge remaining.

In another thread, an ex-Tesla Energy employee who worked on Powerwall said the shelf life is one year starting at 25% SOC (that's how they are shipped).

And even in the case of a very low SOC, they have a procedure to "jump start" the battery back to life, but night not work in the most extreme cases of drain.
thanks for that! appreciate all the info. makes me feel better about the situation. it would be odd if tesla made a battery that would just die like the others are describing..

Upvote 0
Call Tesla up and find out if they have a way to check, but the only way I know is to have it hooked up to the gateway and query the gateway.

Def not trying to crap on your thread, don't take it that way. LiIon batteries just self-discharge slowly over time.
not taking it that way, no worries. take a look at what HankLloydWright is saying in this thread; see if you’ve not heard about what he’s talking about. Thanks

Reactions: bkp_duke
Upvote 0