Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Version 22.1.1 self consumption using grid [Outside of US]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Some may have noticed/upgraded recently (2 days ago here) to 22.1.1 (powerwall2 not plus)

There may be a bug with self consumption mode (Self-Powered).
In self_consumption mode, a power event may make the powerwall operate in autonomous/time-based control mode while still being in self_consumption mode.

Around 3:45:40am some UPS tripped for under a second and from that point the powerwall was still supplying power, but the grid is now also supplying power like it's in off peak time-based mode. 7:30am boil water for a coffee and it used grid power (including the reheat).

I flipped to time based mode and back to self powered and hoping it remembers it's self powered again. Sun's up so won't know until it does/doesn't use grid power after the sun goes down. Some pics attached in case you want to see it. Hopefully it's a one off, but if it happens to someone else, it exists and you're not crazy :)

325-810.png

day before.pngScreenshot~2.jpg325-425.png730-745.png

Reactions: xWren
Log into the gateway directly to verify What mode you are in. Others have reported situations wher the app reports one mode, but the gateway reports a different mode.
Very good advice to check. Unfortunately it's in self_consumption mode via api and self consumption on the gateway summary page.

Just before 3am in self consumption mode this morning it started pulling 100W from battery and 200W from grid at 67.8% battery before all grid wasn't islanded, freq was good, volts was good.

It's only been 77 hours since the gateway restarted from the 22.1.1 firmware update(status api), after the 3am went grid+battery I hit stop system then restarted it. It went back to battery powered when it restarted.
Hopefully it will go back to working fine again or it'll have a power cycle for the have you tried turning it off and back on again fix.

Cheers

3am.png

vicpw, thanks for reporting these indications. I have 22.1.1 and will keep an eye out for this problem.

Does anyone know where Tesla has shared release notes-- or any details at all-- for 22.1.1? (This version doesn't appear on Software Updates | Tesla Support, nor do many other Powerwall version updates.) That could help to understand if what is being discussed here is design/intended behavior or not.

vicpw, thanks for reporting these indications. I have 22.1.1 and will keep an eye out for this problem.
It's been over 36 hours since pressing the stop, then start button on the gateway web page and there's been no grid powering since then.
I'd say having it start itself again seems to have gotten the system states/modes back in order again.

Power flickered fast enough that the gateway didn't island the system, but may have caused a power loss state action script to run and then a power restored state action script to run. But that's a guess since we don't see how it works behind the curtains.
Stop, and restart power wall on the gateway page is fix enough for the moment if it happens again

15 mins ago auto re-upgraded to 22.1.1
hope they know what they're doing
LOL, you do have to wonder given the haphazard way that Tesla release firmware versions and don't publish release notes.

I have experienced confused behaviour and mixed settings in app and gateway following a previous upgrade, that is definitely a thing. Restarting may have helped or it may have been resolved up on the servers somewhere, it was impossible to tell.

In UK I have been on 21.35.3 since November. I am still waiting for an upgrade that I was told was coming in December that would support charging from grid when in self consumption mode at the faster 3.8kW rate (as the time-based mode can do) rather than throttled to 1.7kW. Since you use self consumption mode and can charge from grid have you noticed what charge rate it now uses?

In UK I have been on 21.35.3 since November. I am still waiting for an upgrade that I was told was coming in December that would support charging from grid when in self consumption mode at the faster 3.8kW rate (as the time-based mode can do) rather than throttled to 1.7kW. Since you use self consumption mode and can charge from grid have you noticed what charge rate it now uses?

Set to 100% backup reserve in self consumption mode, and it's only charging at ~1.7kW from the grid.
Was at 54% and I let it run for around 10 minutes still on version 22.1.1

I'm still waiting for the multiple TOU rate setting to enable on multiple android phones. on the latest firmware for the powerwall/gateway, and apk but no custom rates for multiple tou settings still

Reactions: xWren
It's drawing power from the grid again after the down and re-upgrade again. Looks like it'll need a hit the reset button to quick fix that again. for me it's broken 22.1.1 again, but had been fine after hitting reset on the gateway the other week (works better than stop/restart service)

20-50W from grid when it has been using near 0 to 0.5W hit reset and it goes back to normal aka using stored power. (5 min values, top is new, bottom old, and can see when it was reset up top)
bottom up.png

Last edited:
Set to 100% backup reserve in self consumption mode, and it's only charging at ~1.7kW from the grid.
Was at 54% and I let it run for around 10 minutes still on version 22.1.1

I'm still waiting for the multiple TOU rate setting to enable on multiple android phones. on the latest firmware for the powerwall/gateway, and apk but no custom rates for multiple tou settings still
Thanks for the info, I won't hold my breath over getting 3.8kW charge rate any time soon then :(

The ability to set custom rates for multiple TOU settings just appeared for us sometime at the end of January. No app update or firmware changes at that time, just suddenly a slightly different UI on the app (Android version) settings screen, so I guess it must be an account setting on the server that gets enabled when Tesla feel like it. There must also be something in the API for this information to make the app work, curious is one of those who are able to reverse engineer the API.

Here we go again. Downgraded to 21.44.1 again.

{"status":"StatusUp","running":true,"connected_to_tesla":true,"power_supply_mode":false,"can_reboot":"Block Update in progress"}
{"status":"StatusUp","running":true,"connected_to_tesla":true,"power_supply_mode":false,"can_reboot":"Yes"}
{"up_time_seconds":"2m55.716797737s","is_new":false,"version":"21.44.1 c58c2df3"} (removed some details)

Here's hoping this is the last time.
But would be nice if the multiple tou settings would enable and whether it uses the settings people found ages sending multiple peak times via api but i guess with prices

Well, they let it stay on 21.44.1 for 131 hours (almost 5.5 days), and now it's back on the one that tou and self powered didn't work well. Only thing different since last time is the android and ios app updated the other day?
{"start_time":"2022-02-24 05:00:17 +0800","up_time_seconds":"10m20.750508767s","is_new":false,"version":"22.1.1 b0ec2432"}

Hey all,

Some may have noticed/upgraded recently (2 days ago here) to 22.1.1 (powerwall2 not plus)

There may be a bug with self consumption mode (Self-Powered).
In self_consumption mode, a power event may make the powerwall operate in autonomous/time-based control mode while still being in self_consumption mode.

Around 3:45:40am some UPS tripped for under a second and from that point the powerwall was still supplying power, but the grid is now also supplying power like it's in off peak time-based mode. 7:30am boil water for a coffee and it used grid power (including the reheat).

I flipped to time based mode and back to self powered and hoping it remembers it's self powered again. Sun's up so won't know until it does/doesn't use grid power after the sun goes down. Some pics attached in case you want to see it. Hopefully it's a one off, but if it happens to someone else, it exists and you're not crazy :)

View attachment 765447
View attachment 765453View attachment 765454View attachment 765449View attachment 765450
I've seen this today - Powerwall 2, outside US. On 22.1.1, but not sure since when. Have been on self consumption mode for a few months and hardly drawn any power from grid. Suddenly today Powerwall doesn't want to put out more that 0.8-1kw on self consumption mode and pulls the rest from the grid. Thanks for your post - glad to know I'm not alone

I've seen this today - Powerwall 2, outside US. On 22.1.1, but not sure since when. Have been on self consumption mode for a few months and hardly drawn any power from grid. Suddenly today Powerwall doesn't want to put out more that 0.8-1kw on self consumption mode and pulls the rest from the grid. Thanks for your post - glad to know I'm not alone

The people on whirlpool are starting to have the same problem too. Not sure what countries other than aus are the test audience for this version, but it's broken enough to not do it's one job in self consumption mode. In the meantime just hitting reset is enough to get it working until it goes stupid again.

Maybe they'll market it as grid stabilisation; too much renewables in the grid? make people buy grid power vs power companies sending the shut down your solar system commands they're going to force on new installs in multiple states

My Powerwalls upgraded to 22.1.1 b0ec2432 yesterday, which included upgrading the Neurio revenue grade meter (RGM) to 1.7.1-Tesla. I haven't seen the grid-powered issue mentioned here. However, has anyone ever seen release notes from Tesla on these upgrades? Also, I saw some interesting alerts in the device vitals during upgrade and reboot - I would love to find more information on these.

• PINV_a010_can_gtwMIA - gateway/sync is MIA?
  • PINV_a039_can_thcMIA - Home Controller is MIA?
  • THC_w155_Backup_Genealogy_Updated - no idea?

My Powerwalls upgraded to 22.1.1 b0ec2432 yesterday, which included upgrading the Neurio revenue grade meter (RGM) to 1.7.1-Tesla. I haven't seen the grid-powered issue mentioned here. However, has anyone ever seen release notes from Tesla on these upgrades? Also, I saw some interesting alerts in the device vitals during upgrade and reboot - I would love to find more information on these.

• PINV_a010_can_gtwMIA - gateway/sync is MIA?
  • PINV_a039_can_thcMIA - Home Controller is MIA?
  • THC_w155_Backup_Genealogy_Updated - no idea?
Ditto here in OC. In fact for a few minutes this morning (maybe after the upgrade?) solar production stopped. A gateway reset fixed it.

The new update 22.1.2 34013a3f updated today, so who knows if it works or fixes the problem(s)

everyone seems to have re-downgraded to 21.44.1 when the complaints and problems started, and today is the 22.1.2