Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall installation not allowed inside garage in Dallas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got this message from Tesla. I immediately replied I’m in tarrent county. Anyone know if that is true. I believe Tesla makes stuff up.

Hello Eric, Dallas no longer allows interior Powerwall's for solar installations. We need to have another site visit to determine where we can place all of the equipment on the outside of the home, then redo the plans so the installers will know. I do apologize about the change in schedule. -Erin from Tesla

Call the city permitting department and ask.
Edit - Never mind, I don’t think any part of Dallas is in Tarrant County. Either they made a mistake (not knowing where you are or Tarrant county may have some new rules… you could always check with Tarrant county as well.

That is my thought, to call Fort Worth permit department and ask for a consultation.
But I’m thinking Tesla doesn’t want to install in garages any more and is hiding behind city regulations. Perhaps they are having problems, failures.
I’m installing mini split in garage to control temperature.

Last edited:
That is my thought, to call Fort Worth permit department and ask for a consultation.
But I’m thinking Tesla doesn’t want to install in garages any more and is hiding behind city regulations. Perhaps they are having problems, failures.
I can't see why they would be having any more equipment problems or failures in Fort Worth versus other areas. Perhaps some inspectors from the county or city have issues. I know we certain areas here in NorCal where one or two inspectors makes lives really hard for solar installers.

The IFC and local jurisdictions have been changing regarding Powerwall requirements for interior locations.

Tesla often makes broad stroke decisions that a smaller installer might have an issue with in order to have 0 pushback from the AHJ. Likely if you followed quantity maximums, impact protection requirements and heat detector requirements then it might work out.

If you do ask for a consultation, be prepared to know the current version of IRC and IFC (which may be aligned) depending on the code cycle you are on it will be IRC R327/328 or IFC 1206 I think.

I just sent Tesla this message:
“I just spoke to Fort Worth building department. They said as long as I comply with table 302.6 it is allowed. I do not have living space above the garage. And the adjoining wall complies with noted table.
The outside location to install Powerwall's is on the north side of the house adjacent to bedrooms, bedrooms are on north side of house; so I that is not acceptable to me. By the time fire alarms go off the attic will be fully engulfed and could possibly collapse on to me before the alarms go off.
I can install, and planed on installing a heat detector fire alarm in the garage connected to my monitored burglar alarm/fire alarm system..”
D3128967-1D52-424C-B1AA-D86D3200CDA3.jpeg

CowTown is on 2021 code. My garage is fully dry walled…. With no living space above garage. I see NO issues. @Vines , what quantity maximums? Yes R328, which says must comply with table R302.6.

Last edited:
No I didn’t. So six PW’s is 6*13.5=81 kwh…. I want 8 🙁

I did see greater then 80kwh need to comply with commercial regulations. What are they?
They are BAAAD. See the entirety of CFC 1207.

Just find room on the exterior wall or another interior location for the other 3 is my recommendation. Typical interior locations attached to living spaces can only take 2 units.

So could I put 5 in the garage (south end of house) and 3 on the exterior (north end of house, mostly shaded)?

What about the data cable length?

if and when I build my external shop, I could move the three in their later. I really worry about battery life when mounted outside. Wish Tesla would have a option for a heat pump cooling loop, separate unit to cool/heat up to 10 PW’s.

So could I put 5 in the garage (south end of house) and 3 on the exterior (north end of house, mostly shaded)?

What about the data cable length?

if and when I build my external shop, I could move the three in their later. I really worry about battery life when mounted outside. Wish Tesla would have a option for a heat pump cooling loop, separate unit to cool/heat up to 10 PW’s.
Total length of data cable from GW through all PW to last PW is right between 1-200 feet.

I'm curious why they're suddenly so worried about Powerwalls in garages. Aren't ICE vehicles and BEVs just as likely to cause a fire? Not to mention BEVs have much larger battery packs.
"Lithium is scary" basically. Many hoverboards and other poorly regulated LI-ion chargers have overheated batteries and caused fires.

So the code changes regularly, in hopes of keeping homes and construction safe.

• Funny
Reactions: jgleigh