Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Location: Eyesore vs. Performance vs. Noise

What is the best place to mount a powerwall packs?

• #4 Gotta be kidding (direct path of parked car)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently received plans for Solar PV system and 2 PW inside the garage.
I notice that PW can be installed up to 5 feet above ground (see Detail A).

So, at least in my location it is allowed to be installed that high, it may be possible where you are at too.
View attachment 393899
I will ask my installer if they can mount one PW on the ground, and the other 6 inches above the first one. That will put the 2nd PW at 50 inches (4.17 ft) above ground.
@RoBoRaT Fantastic find about the mount height! Thanks! I confirmed the 5 feet above ground with the design team. This really opens up more wall space for garage installation. I did ask about a powerwall beneath... answer is no. Typical 2x4 stud wall system cannot handle the weight. Engineer did say side by side is fine as long as the studs aren't shared. It is a major cost adder to strengthen the walls. It is purely structural.

Recently received plans for Solar PV system and 2 PW inside the garage.
I notice that PW can be installed up to 5 feet above ground (see Detail A).

So, at least in my location it is allowed to be installed that high, it may be possible where you are at too.
View attachment 393899
I will ask my installer if they can mount one PW on the ground, and the other 6 inches above the first one. That will put the 2nd PW at 50 inches (4.17 ft) above ground.
Update with installation. 5' height is a no go. 6ft 7inch height of the side switch on the battery packs prohibit the 5 ft mount height. Tesla is at my house now. I switched immediately to a double stack ground mount (located where the front/rear quarter panels) because initially wanted the 5 ft mount height to clear car doors.

Since that enable switch is not technically a disconnect, it does not need to follow the maximum disconnect height rule.
If you do mount the powerwalls up high, I recommend an additional AC disconnect within 6'7" though.

Of course, YMMV, as local installers and AHJ have their own rules.
@Vines In the heat of the battle, I was unaware of that. As you said YMMV, so the ground mount looks good. Finally cleared the corner of the garage of junk.

The key decision point was to NOT do the in-wall hidden conduit in the adjoining wall and garage soffits. The reason was Tesla was hesitant on the job to break thru the firing rated wall next to living space. Though the noise concern is muted (less of a factor), the fire rating of the wall suggested surface mount conduit. Partial hidden conduit I was thinking, but decided to save the money. The guys were able to use my existing subpanel conduit so I wasn’t eliminating any conduit at the backup load center and gateway. Fortunately the project manager was only a city away to come and advise me thru this.

Seismically makes sense to mount low as well.

Attachments

• DAE8931A-4787-47A0-A595-8E6FB40F8776.jpeg
    DAE8931A-4787-47A0-A595-8E6FB40F8776.jpeg
    1,023.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Reactions: NuShrike
@Vines In the heat of the battle, I was unaware of that. As you said YMMV, so the ground mount looks good. Finally cleared the corner of the garage of junk.
[snip]
Wow, I'm sure my City would nick-pick that. You could add something underneath (concrete pour) to raise it up a little to make it more flooding resistant?

What is the Tesla mounting bracket seismically rated for single-stacked? Of course double-stacked++ needs to be ground-mounted.

What is the Tesla mounting bracket seismically rated for single-stacked? Of course double-stacked++ needs to be ground-mounted.
The installer said each power wall weighs approximately 275 lb. and must fasten to two studs. As directed by the electrical lead to avoid pilot holes to find the stud to maintain the fire rating, he found and hit the both studs straight on. The walls typically follow the Uniform Building Code to withstand loads. The packs seems to mount similar to flat panel TVs. For ground mount the pack was put on a 4" thick foam pad, then the pad was pulled and the pack latched to the bracket.

All in all, amazed it was done in a single day. An hour was spent waiting for project manager to drop by to clear up a topic relating to the team being unprepared for hidden conduit installation. This ended up being a good thing as it gave me time to digest the mount height restrictions, fire rating aspects, and realized there wasn't much value added with a hidden conduit up-charge. The Wall Connector being installed tomorrow have the same issue with the fire rated wall for hidden conduit. The gateway and backup load center is to be back to back. The backup load center is replacing the existing garage subpanel, and the existing 2-inch conduit to service panel 3 ft away was sufficient. I definitely did not want to trigger the "hidden conduit" up-charge to only run wire thru the ceiling plumbing soffit. 8 hours of actual work by a 2 man crew. Given labor rates as they are, installation prices have grown to at least cover 16 hours of total labor. The Wall Connector installation labor, in today's prices, is the same cost as the Wall Connector installation.

As for other deviations to what was expected and planned:
1. I was not expecting the Clipper Creek 32A charge station to be backed up, but they landed the breaker into the 200A backup load center. Per the norm, the load was under 60A for two Powerwalls. The corollary benefit is that I didn't not need to add a NEMA 6-15 or NEMA 6-20 to charge cars using backup power during an outage. As a customer sanity check, with load calculation in my head I have room for this in the panel. As another sanity check, in practice, I know what my loads are from a full-on load test, confident I will not fault out the Powerwall system.
2. I was very amazed that Tesla did a 1:1 swap of my 125A subpanel with Tesla's backup load center. The electrician was able to match drill two existing conduits (one to the service and one to the EV charger which I put in with permit). The best part was no additional conduit what so ever for the gateway and backup load center. The gateway is a box with no breakers, and no generation panel. Simply one surface mount gate outside. Super clean and didn't need WiFi and didn't need to tie into Cat 5e. Elegant. Perfect, I didn't need hidden conduit for this.
3. The breaker schedule wasn't laid out or conveyed. Very likely creative license given to the electrical lead. This is the case where lack of plans is actually good to allow the field to make decisions.
4. Initially wanted to mechanically interlock the Wall Connector vs. the Clipper Creek. Now that the panel changed, the interlock won't play nicely. Tesla moved every small load (even landscape lighting) to the backup load center, which is a bonus. As planned, the A/C and Wall Connector will not be backed up.
5. I was hoping to have only 5 disconnects/throws, but there are 6. No real room for a whole house surge protector.

I hope this is insightful.

Last edited:

The key decision point was to NOT do the in-wall hidden conduit in the adjoining wall and garage soffits. The reason was Tesla was hesitant on the job to break thru the firing rated wall next to living space. Though the noise concern is muted (less of a factor), the fire rating of the wall suggested surface mount conduit. Partial hidden conduit I was thinking, but decided to save the money. The guys were able to use my existing subpanel conduit so I wasn’t eliminating any conduit at the backup load center and gateway. Fortunately the project manager was only a city away to come and advise me thru this.

Glad you are happy with the installation. I know most of the AHJ around here, and understand how they can be picky. Looks good! Glad you are happy with it.

@Merrill Sounds perfect with the following checks:
1. You are not planning to punch holes into the wall (reducing fire rating of the wall) with living space on the other side.
2. You will not be bothered with noise when the fans are full speed in the heat of summer.
3. You are okay with setbacks. Say there's 25' required in side yards.
4. Familiar with your Homeowners Association / Covenant-signed about screening appliances (air conditioning units) from public / street-view.
5. Your neighbor or future neighbor objects or files a complaint/violation with the city.

@Merrill Sounds perfect with the following checks:
1. You are not planning to punch holes into the wall (reducing fire rating of the wall) with living space on the other side.
2. You will not be bothered with noise when the fans are full speed in the heat of summer.
3. You are okay with setbacks. Say there's 25' required in side yards.
4. Familiar with your Homeowners Association / Covenant-signed about screening appliances (air conditioning units) from public / street-view.
5. Your neighbor or future neighbor objects or files a complaint/violation with the city.
Thanks, no holes in the wall, noise is a good thing so when you have guest they do not stay to long, we are on 3 acres in the country, no HOA and no one can see it from the road.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet