Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall owners with Eero WiFi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have eero pro 6, and one in the garage just for my Tesla Model S/X and the Powerwall. For the Powerwall I setup both Wifi and Ethernet to the Eero 6 Pro. I have not had an issues to date when the grid goes offline. The eero 6 Pro stays online as does all of my other electronic equipment.

I have a total of 4 eero 6 Pro in my house, one of them being in the garage as mentioned above.

Reactions: GaitherBill
Hi everyone.

Considering Eero WiFi.

My question is, does anyone here have Eero, and will I need a small UPS to handle the brief cutover to the Powerwalls when grid power fails?

Thanks.

Every system behaves slightly differently. Your likely best approach would be to do a couple of grid outage simulations and see how everything in your home behaves.

Be sure to try when your Powerwalls are full (97%+) and your PV is producing more than the house is consuming, then throw the main breaker from the grid. When the grid goes down in this situation excess PV power has nowhere to go and it takes the Powerwalls + Gateway the longest amount of time to transition out of all of the grid outage scenarios.

Personally I have 4 UPSes in the house for all of my sensitive electronics: PC, security cameras and the NVR, home automation server, networking equipment (I use Unifi), and the family room TV + Xbox. It's probably overkill but I had them from before I got the Powerwall :)

We have a UPSes for our desktops, network gear (cable modem, UDMP router, switches, NAS, etc), and AV gear (TV, Tivo, Fire box, etc). Given the price of these devices and more importantly, the potential to lose work, the UPSes are cheap insurance. Also, there is the power frequency rise that occurs while operating with Powerwalls full and the grid down, and we wanted to be able to isolate our gear from that.

Every system behaves slightly differently. Your likely best approach would be to do a couple of grid outage simulations and see how everything in your home behaves.

Be sure to try when your Powerwalls are full (97%+) and your PV is producing more than the house is consuming, then throw the main breaker from the grid. When the grid goes down in this situation excess PV power has nowhere to go and it takes the Powerwalls + Gateway the longest amount of time to transition out of all of the grid outage scenarios.

Personally I have 4 UPSes in the house for all of my sensitive electronics: PC, security cameras and the NVR, home automation server, networking equipment (I use Unifi), and the family room TV + Xbox. It's probably overkill but I had them from before I got the Powerwall :)

I have.

Currently the only thing that gets cranky is our current router, a Unifi USG-3, so it’s on a small Eaton UPS.