Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Software 1.45.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
I saw a glitch in my Energy Usage chart that showed the Powerwalls went into Standby for a short time this morning when they should have been charging. Then I noticed that the Version is now 1.45.0. No idea what might have changed. The release notes only go to December 2019 and 1.43.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
Mine also got updated from 1.44.4 to 1.45.0 about an hour ago. My TEG is connected to my router via ethernet, and I have reserved an IP address for it. In the past, when it got updated and rebooted, it would get the same IP address as expected. However, this time it ignores the reserved IP and get a new one from the router. Not sure if there is a glitch/bug in my router or Tesla made some changes in DHCP client in 1.45.0.

Mine also got updated from 1.44.4 to 1.45.0 about an hour ago. My TEG is connected to my router via ethernet, and I have reserved an IP address for it. In the past, when it got updated and rebooted, it would get the same IP address as expected. However, this time it ignores the reserved IP and get a new one from the router. Not sure if there is a glitch/bug in my router or Tesla made some changes in DHCP client in 1.45.0.
I don't understand how a client can do that. It must be the DHCP server's fault. My assumption is that the router has MAC to IP reservation. The client should not change the MAC address.

Reactions: ra88it
Yeah, ex-network person here and I have no idea how it could request: gimme an auto DHCP, I do NOT want the reserved address. Been a while since I looked at the DHCP specs but I don’t recall an override option, never mind why it would actually even do it in this case.

I just noticed I’m on 44.4 (new to me). I use normal DHCP and you should still get the same address even when restarted, DHCP reservation or not. I’ll check what happens when I get 45.

I saw a glitch in my Energy Usage chart that showed the Powerwalls went into Standby for a short time this morning when they should have been charging. Then I noticed that the Version is now 1.45.0. No idea what might have changed. The release notes only go to December 2019 and 1.43.

Same with me. My two Powerwalls address now on v1.45.0. I called Tesla. They said to call a 1-877 number in the US to speak to the Tesla Powerwall support team and ask for the release notes. I'm in New Zealand, so haven't don't it.

Can some one in the US make the call and post the response?

Yeah, ex-network person here and I have no idea how it could request: gimme an auto DHCP, I do NOT want the reserved address. Been a while since I looked at the DHCP specs but I don’t recall an override option, never mind why it would actually even do it in this case.

I just noticed I’m on 44.4 (new to me). I use normal DHCP and you should still get the same address even when restarted, DHCP reservation or not. I’ll check what happens when I get 45.

Yeah typically if your mac address changed, the dhcp server would not find the reservation for your device and give you a new address...

Had 1.45 update a few days ago, and like several others here in the UK, it seems to have broken the advanced/time based/cost saving ... Where 'off peak' time is set to charge with, low cost, night time electricity.

Now have to manually override by switching to 'backup only' to charge up in off peak time slot.
Screenshot_20200305-094950.png

My powerwalls became unresponsive on 4 March 2020 at around 9:40am. I called TESLA Energy support and they walked me through a Whole Home Reset (I'm posting those steps under a separate thread). Afterwards, nothing worked and they said I should wait up to 24 hours and it might work again. Next day, 5 March 2020, at around 4:00pm, the powerwalls were up and running again, they had sounded a ding-dong noise every 10 seconds until then. What I noticed at that point in time was that the software version had changed from V1.43 to V1.45.1. I asked Tesla subsequently if that had to do with the unresponsive powerwalls, which the guy declined, although I had the impression he was a tad clueless. What he did indicate though was that all powerwalls would be upgraded between now (i.e. 5 March 2020) and 12 March 2020. When I asked about release notes, he stated that there were none and they may release them at a later point.

So, overall rather disappointing customer support, and indicative of a sub-par release schedule. One would think that a new software release is thoroughly documented and thought out, release notes posted, ideally customers advised as we all have a Tesla account and thus can be reached by email, rather than willy-nilly sending out updates and leaving TESLA phone support staff in the dark as why and what a new release might do. But maybe paying in excess of $7k for a Powerwall installed is not enough to expect good customer service...

I'd still like to understand why my powerwalls stopped working, required a whole house reset, and apparently a software upgrade, to be in working condition again. Anyone?

Reactions: ra88it
I don't get it, software updates revisions should not even be public, the consumer should not care about software version the same as most of us don't care about part revisions. For some reason, the entire world is occupied with software releases and who should own them. Tesla sells you a PW and it needs software to run the same as it needs an internal component to run. This is the future, the software is an essential part of the unit, it is as important as the wires inside and the boards. If Tesla decides they want to change the board on your PW they will come and change it, same for software updates. Again, this is the future and we need to start switching our mindset to how things run now. I think the head of product design at Tesla should take away the software version display from the app.

• Disagree
Reactions: maratd and miimura
I don't get it, software updates revisions should not even be public, the consumer should not care about software version the same as most of us don't care about part revisions. For some reason, the entire world is occupied with software releases and who should own them. Tesla sells you a PW and it needs software to run the same as it needs an internal component to run. This is the future, the software is an essential part of the unit, it is as important as the wires inside and the boards. If Tesla decides they want to change the board on your PW they will come and change it, same for software updates. Again, this is the future and we need to start switching our mindset to how things run now. I think the head of product design at Tesla should take away the software version display from the app.
This is a very extreme view. There are people that rightly hold the completely opposite view and feel that there should be no changes to the system they purchased unless there is a bug fix or feature improvement that they want applied to their system. I am personally not at either extreme, but I wanted to point out these extremes.

the version is a valabule diagnostic tool and should be visible - it's a fact of manufactured products that there are revisions and change are part of these revisions - tracking revisions and knowing what you current "own" is a major part of understanding your product. It's an extreme view that this informaton should be hidden and one I'm 100% against.

This is a very extreme view. There are people that rightly hold the completely opposite view and feel that there should be no changes to the system they purchased unless there is a bug fix or feature improvement that they want applied to their system. I am personally not at either extreme, but I wanted to point out these extremes.

I understand the other extreme but the world is changing, the software is no longer 3 lines of code that do almost nothing, in today's market it is becoming more and more important and companies relying on it, with the cloud software upgrades are critical to keep the PW/car or whatever working. Those are not bug fixes but changes to keep up with technology.

the version is a valabule diagnostic tool and should be visible - it's a fact of manufactured products that there are revisions and change are part of these revisions - tracking revisions and knowing what you current "own" is a major part of understanding your product. It's an extreme view that this informaton should be hidden and one I'm 100% against.
It should be discoverable of course but not like this on the front page, when you need it you should be able to get it like any other "serial number". By displaying it outright on the first page Tesla sends the wrong message to the user.

I don't get it, software updates revisions should not even be public, the consumer should not care about software version the same as most of us don't care about part revisions...
Well, most of the consumers don't care, you are right. This forum is hardly most of the consumer world of Tesla Energy. ;)

But then, like most electronics, they get software updates, known or unknown to the consumer, like your computer windows 10.
Others like a DVD player, it may not work with some new movies because of the wide discretion of the standards and some companies may be at the edge. But the player doesn't update automatically and have to be updated by the consumer.

In the end, software will be updated into the unknown future. :)

In the end, software will be updated into the unknown future. :)

Heh. Or not, like my Pioneer aftermarket head unit I installed in my truck, which bragged on the box about its firmware upgradeability (probably because Bluetooth was pretty new at the time, I bought it in preparation for the hands-free law in CA long ago), yet they never issued a single update for it, and an early iOS update (1->2 or perhaps 2->3) broke Bluetooth A2DP with it as it turns out the head unit is totally not spec-compliant (but just happened to work until iOS corrected some of its compliance issues). So for years I kept hoping Pioneer would actually release an update to fix their issues, but they never did.

Personally, I think upgradeable firmware is both one of the best and worst things to happen in consumer electronics, since it does allow companies to fix issues (provided they care enough to maintain it), but it also tends to instill a behavior of "we can ship it as-is [perhaps with serious bugs], and fix it later". My first TCI Digital Cable box was loaded with bugs and almost useless initially, and it took months of constant firmware updates for them to finally get things working half-way decent (it was still crap, but at least the UI didn't crash as much, etc).

It would be nice if Tesla kept better release notes (especially since it's 1-click in the app to get to them, so it's not like they buried it somewhere), though many iOS apps these days simply say things like "Bug fixes", which is also a pretty useless thing to say IMO.

I understand the other extreme but the world is changing, the software is no longer 3 lines of code that do almost nothing, in today's market it is becoming more and more important and companies relying on it, with the cloud software upgrades are critical to keep the PW/car or whatever working. Those are not bug fixes but changes to keep up with technology.

It should be discoverable of course but not like this on the front page, when you need it you should be able to get it like any other "serial number". By displaying it outright on the first page Tesla sends the wrong message to the user.

Reading both of your responses in this thread, I understand the point you are making better than I did with just the first post alone. I personally am more where @miimura is (not at either extreme), but I feel the knowledge of whats changing should be there if someone wants it, and not "bug fixes" which is useless, but a plain english high level summary of what changed.

I also know why they say "bug fixes"... because people can get unnecessarily worried about bugs they did not even experience. As mentioned, most people dont pay much attention to their OS updates. I would be ok if the version numbers were not front and center on the "front page" but I want to be able to get to a menu with some release notes, EVERY time they push me an update, that say more than "bug fixes" or nothing at all.

I know this is a connected world, and software is complicated, but I also dont feel "lack of transparency" is the answer (it almost never is.)

Reading both of your responses in this thread, I understand the point you are making better than I did with just the first post alone. I personally am more where @miimura is (not at either extreme), but I feel the knowledge of whats changing should be there if someone wants it, and not "bug fixes" which is useless, but a plain english high level summary of what changed.

I also know why they say "bug fixes"... because people can get unnecessarily worried about bugs they did not even experience. As mentioned, most people dont pay much attention to their OS updates. I would be ok if the version numbers were not front and center on the "front page" but I want to be able to get to a menu with some release notes, EVERY time they push me an update, that say more than "bug fixes" or nothing at all.

I know this is a connected world, and software is complicated, but I also dont feel "lack of transparency" is the answer (it almost never is.)

in my line of work I face this problem all the time, what should we tell the public when we change something, most of the changes should be kept confidential as to not help the "other side" know what Tesla plans are. for example, if Tesla decides to move from AWS to GCP they need to change some things and have the PW connect to different places using different interfaces. Nothing really changes on the PW side but the way it talks to Tesla services which are moving away. I made all of this up to make a point, that knowledge can not be public and let's say this was the only change from version 1.1.1 to version 1.1.2 and they are pushing it to start moving PWs to the new infrastructure.

If this goes live to the public it (again, I made it all up) it will hurt Tesla. so what do you suggest they write in the release notes? And why this is anyone's business but Tesla's?

in my line of work I face this problem all the time, what should we tell the public when we change something, most of the changes should be kept confidential as to not help the "other side" know what Tesla plans are. for example, if Tesla decides to move from AWS to GCP they need to change some things and have the PW connect to different places using different interfaces. Nothing really changes on the PW side but the way it talks to Tesla services which are moving away. I made all of this up to make a point, that knowledge can not be public and let's say this was the only change from version 1.1.1 to version 1.1.2 and they are pushing it to start moving PWs to the new infrastructure.

If this goes live to the public it (again, I made it all up) it will hurt Tesla. so what do you suggest they write in the release notes? And why this is anyone's business but Tesla's?

They say "Update includes back end security infrastructure enhancements" (in this example you have above).