Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connect your Powerwall to Wi-Fi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had intermittent issues with the gateway wifi, even though it is within 10 ft of the nearest UI W6 AP.

Ubiquiti is generally great, but as far as older/lower power/2.4 GHz clients are concerned, I’ve had more connection issues than with other (cheaper) access points. Bryant thermostats didn’t work at all — several people reported it. It was a known Ubiquiti issue where the only solution was using a U6 Long Range and locking the client to that AP (even though the client was nearby).

That said, I haven’t had issues with U6 Lite and the Tesla Gateway.

Ubiquiti is generally great, but as far as older/lower power/2.4 GHz clients are concerned, I’ve had more connection issues than with other (cheaper) access points. Bryant thermostats didn’t work at all — several people reported it. It was a known Ubiquiti issue where the only solution was using a U6 Long Range and locking the client to that AP (even though the client was nearby).

That said, I haven’t had issues with U6 Lite and the Tesla Gateway.
I had issues with my Ubiquiti access points. It turned out the problem was I had band steering on. Once I turned that off it has been rock solid. It was disconnecting the Powerwalls to get them to connect to the 5ghz network, but the Powerwalls can’t.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
I had issues with my Ubiquiti access points. It turned out the problem was I had band steering on. Once I turned that off it has been rock solid. It was disconnecting the Powerwalls to get them to connect to the 5ghz network, but the Powerwalls can’t.
I have a Ubiquiti system (Dream Machine + UAP-AC-Lite) and have been unable to force a dual band device to connect on 2.4GHz band due to weak 5GHz signal. Do you know of a way to do that? I resorted to buying the Ethernet accessory for my ChromeCast with GoogleTV to get the stability I needed.

More along the lines of this thread, I also ran Ethernet to my Tesla Gateway because I couldn't get the WiFi to remain connected.

With Unifi, I create a separate WiFi SSID with 2.4 GHz only for those devices that don't play well with 5GHz. It's also on it's own VLAN so it cannot talk to other devices on my network.

I have a Ubiquiti system (Dream Machine + UAP-AC-Lite) and have been unable to force a dual band device to connect on 2.4GHz band due to weak 5GHz signal. Do you know of a way to do that? I resorted to buying the Ethernet accessory for my ChromeCast with GoogleTV to get the stability I needed.

More along the lines of this thread, I also ran Ethernet to my Tesla Gateway because I couldn't get the WiFi to remain connected.
I would recommend a separate IOT SSID/VLAN for your IOT devices.
Nice video here;
(I think that if you have a DM, the whole series may be of interest.)

Don't forget a separate VLAN for printers...

All the best,

BG

New user here, so go easy.

Just had my Powerwall installed yesterday. It was connected via an Ethernet connection by the installers. Everything seems to be working OK.
I then configured the WiFi connection too, just to have some fun. I understood that the Powerwall would use the Ethernet as default, as it was connected. But it seemed to have latched on to the WiFi in preference to the Ethernet. I didn't want that.
Then realised that I couldn't remove the WiFi connection via the Tesla app, so connected via the Gateway 2's webserver.

There I can see Ethernet, WiFi and Cellular. I was able to delete the WiFi connection.

But my Ethernet connection has the following message on it, even with the Tick mark against it.
"Configured, but not connected. Check the ethernet cable"

App works fine, even with this message. What's going on?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231110_181349_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231110_181349_Chrome.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 34

Just had my Powerwall installed yesterday. It was connected via an Ethernet connection by the installers. Everything seems to be working OK.
I then configured the WiFi connection too, just to have some fun. I understood that the Powerwall would use the Ethernet as default, as it was connected. But it seemed to have latched on to the WiFi in preference to the Ethernet. I didn't want that.
Then realised that I couldn't remove the WiFi connection via the Tesla app, so connected via the Gateway 2's webserver.

There I can see Ethernet, WiFi and Cellular. I was able to delete the WiFi connection.

But my Ethernet connection has the following message on it, even with the Tick mark against it.

Normally, given a choice between wired Ethernet and WiFi, every device should choose the wired version, so I suspect that there is a loose connection or dirt on the connections somewhere. I will say that many folks have forgotten, or never knew it, but Ethernet cable can not ever be bent at sharp radii without damage. One bend / unbend cycle can be enough to make the cable unreliable.

If you can try the cable with another device, I would strongly recommend that as a first step.

I would be inclined to try unplugging the Ethernet cable and plugging it back in again. Sometimes the cable is not fully seated and comes loose. I would also shine a bright light in the socket and look for dirt there, and on the cable (at both ends).

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Docfxit
+1 on Band Steering, Min RSSI, Lock to AP, etc…. Any dirty tricks by the AP to kick devices off for their own good doesn’t work with Tesla WiFi devices. They just keep bashing their heads against a poor WiFi AP selection.

I spent an hour trying to figure out why my Wall Connectors stopped working. Turns out I was playing with Lock to AP and the Wall Connector decided a new AP was its new BFF and kept trying and rejected by Unifi.

Easy fix was to let Tesla devices “roam free”.

Reactions: morph3ous
+1 on Band Steering, Min RSSI, Lock to AP, etc…. Any dirty tricks by the AP to kick devices off for their own good doesn’t work with Tesla WiFi devices. They just keep bashing their heads against a poor WiFi AP selection.

I spent an hour trying to figure out why my Wall Connectors stopped working. Turns out I was playing with Lock to AP and the Wall Connector decided a new AP was its new BFF and kept trying and rejected by Unifi.

Easy fix was to let Tesla devices “roam free”.
With a UniFi system it's easier to just make a unique SSID if you want to steer devices to certain bands or APs. That way, the device has no choice.

Normally, given a choice between wired Ethernet and WiFi, every device should choose the wired version, so I suspect that there is a loose connection or dirt on the connections somewhere. I will say that many folks have forgotten, or never knew it, but Ethernet cable can not ever be bent at sharp radii without damage. One bend / unbend cycle can be enough to make the cable unreliable.

If you can try the cable with another device, I would strongly recommend that as a first step.

I would be inclined to try unplugging the Ethernet cable and plugging it back in again. Sometimes the cable is not fully seated and comes loose. I would also shine a bright light in the socket and look for dirt there, and on the cable (at both ends).

All the best,

BG
Like I said, even with this message, everything seems to be working absolutely fine. Surely if there was a loose connection or dirt etc, I would have seen issues with the connectivity, No? The guys even performed a firmware update using the said cable and that too worked fine.
I removed the WiFi connection completely just to be sure it wasn't using that. So this error message is baffling me.

The configured, but not connected message is not accurate. Mine says that about my wired connection, even though the connection is working properly.

• Helpful

I think it is a bug, as I've had the same thing since hard-wiring mine. I did leave wifi operational, and occasionally check that both are answering.

If I check gateway diagnostics in the NetZero app, it shows Ethernet as primary and connected (without errors).

1699905232952.png

1699905502930.png

I think it is a bug, as I've had the same thing since hard-wiring mine. I did leave wifi operational, and occasionally check that both are answering.

If I check gateway diagnostics in the NetZero app, it shows Ethernet as primary and connected (without errors).

View attachment 990438
View attachment 990440
Interesting that even for you the Ethernet Network shows Disabled and yet a few rows down shows Ethernet Active (primary).

Just looked at things via the Tesla Pros app and everything seems fine there.
NetZero shows the Ethernet as Disabled and Active (Primary)!
So it must be the webpages on the gateway webserver have not been updated and since its not considered obsolete Tesla has no intention of fixing that message.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231114_120348_Tesla Pros.jpg
    Screenshot_20231114_120348_Tesla Pros.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231114_130019_Netzero.jpg
    Screenshot_20231114_130019_Netzero.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
  • Informative