Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connect your Powerwall to Wi-Fi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I started seeing a “Network Setup/Connect your Powerwall to Wi-Fi“ link on the Energy screen of the Tesla app. The Powerwall has been connected for a couple of years without incident, and the app appears to be functioning normally. When I tried to connect, the app couldn’t see my home network or any others, and when I tried to enter the network credentials manually, the Powerwall couldn’t connect.

Any idea what would cause this? I’m traveling now so I can’t do anything that requires me to be near the system, but I was still home this morning when I first noticed the issue, maybe 7 hours ago. I’m not having any issues with my home network, everything else looks good.

It happens occasionally to me. I don't know the cause, but I usually reboot the router before I try a reconnect.

I occasionally wonder if it's a function of the WiFi connection being redundant/inactive while wired Ethernet is active...

I had that happen not that long ago.
I had to log into the Gateway at the gateway to turn on and connect to wi-fi.
Then it worked again.
I wonder if a software update caused the interruption.
I had the wi-fi drop off, but the Gateway managed to reconnect when wi-fi returned.

I’ll try logging into the gateway when I get home. I haven’t had to do that yet but I know where it’s documented. Since the app seems to showing the usual data for my system, what functionality am I losing by not being connected to WiFi?

I’ll try logging into the gateway when I get home. I haven’t had to do that yet but I know where it’s documented. Since the app seems to showing the usual data for my system, what functionality am I losing by not being connected to WiFi?
Not sure what you may lose.
Do you see solar production showing on app while that message is showing not connected to wi-fi?

Charge on solar is having issues, car say it can’t connect to powerwall. Powerwall dashboard is working, so powerwall is on my network; car is on wifi and communicating. So something is a miss with tesla, I don’t think it is on your end.
Can you vpn into your home network and troubleshoot?

Once you’re logged into the gateway, the /api/networks endpoint will show you the status of all connections. If Wi-Fi is down it should fall back to cellular.

Today I tried to connect to the Gateway (2) but was unsuccessful. I tried to reset the gateway using the Reset button but there's no button, just a hole where the button should be (see photo). I figured the button was recessed and stuck a letter opener in there, but didn't feel anything. I can see a couple of blue and green lights in the hole which makes me think there's no button.

The other strange thing is that the Tesla app on my iPad shows the "Network Setup/Connect Powerwall to Wi-Fi" link, but the app on my iPhone does not, even though I have the same version of the app installed in both places.

I'll try logging into the gateway again.

IMG_6579.jpeg

Today I tried to connect to the Gateway (2) but was unsuccessful. I tried to reset the gateway using the Reset button but there's no button, just a hole where the button should be (see photo). I figured the button was recessed and stuck a letter opener in there, but didn't feel anything. I can see a couple of blue and green lights in the hole which makes me think there's no button.

The other strange thing is that the Tesla app on my iPad shows the "Network Setup/Connect Powerwall to Wi-Fi" link, but the app on my iPhone does not, even though I have the same version of the app installed in both places.

I'll try logging into the gateway again.

View attachment 971511
Get a skinny ball point pen with a flat end and push it all the way back and hold it for 6 seconds then release, you will not hear or feel any click. My TEG was nagging me to connect to wifi 2 weeks ago, of course it would not connect and when I tried to login to the TEG's own SSID it told me the password was wrong (the complete serial number). I started a chat with support and they asked me to reset the TEG but I think I used a thicker pen and it did not really hit the reset so it did not work, the L1 support said she had to escalate to L2. I went back out later with a skinny pen to hit the reset and it worked.

If you get a light shining down the hole you should be able to see the button. And definitely use a plastic pen since you're poking onto a circuit board behind that plastic panel. I usually hold for 5-10 seconds and it will reboot and the lights on my Powerwalls will blink for awhile until everything reconnects.

Get a skinny ball point pen with a flat end and push it all the way back and hold it for 6 seconds then release, you will not hear or feel any click. My TEG was nagging me to connect to wifi 2 weeks ago, of course it would not connect and when I tried to login to the TEG's own SSID it told me the password was wrong (the complete serial number). I started a chat with support and they asked me to reset the TEG but I think I used a thicker pen and it did not really hit the reset so it did not work, the L1 support said she had to escalate to L2. I went back out later with a skinny pen to hit the reset and it worked.
Thanks for the tips, I was able to resolve the problem just now.

I managed to log in to the gateway (I was using the wrong password yesterday), and scanned for WiFi networks, but it couldn't find any. I used the /api/networks endpoint and did see my home WiFi network listed there. I reset the gateway as suggested above, and after it came back up, it automatically connected to my WiFi, so all is well.

I had intermittent issues with the gateway wifi, even though it is within 10 ft of the nearest UI W6 AP.

My workaround was to pull CAT6 cables to that side of the attic to keystone jacks, then ran double shielded STP CAT6 cables from the keystone jacks into the gateway and inverters. I know the inverters' network jacks are not activated in firmware (and in all honesty, I doubt they are actual network jacks - maybe serial field service jacks), but why run one cable when you can run 4? One to the gateway, two to the inverters, and one to a UI G5 camera.