Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Using up Your Internet Bandwidth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm aghast at how much data is sent from the Powerwall gateway to a server on the internet. Granted it needs to provide the data that the ap needs, but it's running at about 60kB per minute. That's way more than could conceivably be required for the ap, and suggests Tesla are engaged in second-by-second tracking of the internal functioning of the powerwall.

I'm aghast at how much data is sent from the Powerwall gateway to a server on the internet. Granted it needs to provide the data that the ap needs, but it's running at about 60kB per minute. That's way more than could conceivably be required for the ap, and suggests Tesla are engaged in second-by-second tracking of the internal functioning of the powerwall.
Did you mean 60 kilobytes/min? That’s what you said. :D

Does seem chatty...

The output of /api/meters/aggregates is about 2500 bytes. I would expect the data they're retrieving to be at least what's in this API call, implying they're retrieving about once every three seconds.

The release notes for 1.20.0 say "Further reduction in network data storage," so I think they're erring on the side of sending too much data while the product is new. I would imagine they'll do more optimization as they get more comfortable with the way it functions in the field.