Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Connection: Gateway 2 vs Inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Solar system consisting of panels, Powerwall+, and Gateway 2. I’m currently running the Tesla App with wireless connection to the Gateway and the M3P.

I know the inverter with the powerwall+ has it’s own wireless connectivity that has to be set up within 15 minutes after powering up the powerwall+, but I’m curious if there is any need to wirelessly connect to the inverter if I’m already connected to the gateway? Is there any extended functionality or features that a connection to the inverter provides? Presently, the wireless connection to the gateway seems perfectly adequate for monitoring, settings etc.

Is a connection to the inverter required for Charge on Solar feature? I have the latest versions of software for both solar system and the car, but have never gotten the Charge on Solar option in the app…

If you have Powerwall+, then there is little to be gained by connecting in the first 15 minutes. Powerwall+ provides string data (volts/amps) to the gateway, so it can be viewed from the gateway itself.

If you had the prior generation, the only way to see string data is connecting to the inverter(s) within that 15 minute boot up.

There might be some additional data that I am not aware of though, so maybe someone else will chime in with specific details. (I'm on the prior version, and wish I could see string data on demand :(, you are lucky in that respect.)

Is a connection to the inverter required for Charge on Solar feature? I have the latest versions of software for both solar system and the car, but have never gotten the Charge on Solar option in the app…

You shouldn't need to connect to the inverter to enable CoS. Read this page for all the version requirements and other restrictions mentioned in the FAQ (e.g. only US&Canada, no export restrictions):

Once you enable CoS, it will ask you to pair your phone with the Powerwall.

I believe the connectivity in Powerwall+ is only needed when you don't have a standalone gateway but a backup switch.