Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls and Gateway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

According to the Tesla website, each Powerwall comes with a gateway (How Powerwall Works | Tesla Support).

I plan on ordering 3 Powerwalls so does that mean I will get 3 gateways even if I don't need all 3? For example, if I have a 100A or 200A panel, I would think 1 gateway would suffice. Would I get to keep the other 2 gateways if I decide to upgrade to 400A panel later?

Will Tesla only install the number of gates needed at time of installation and not give me the extra gateways that come with the Powerwalls? If this is the case, if I upgrade to 400A panel later, will I need to pay out of pocket for another gateway?

A gateway is around $1,800 right? So it wouldn't be good if I had to pay for it later.

Also, do you how many months for Tesla to install panels from when they create a design?

Hi,

According to the Tesla website, each Powerwall comes with a gateway (How Powerwall Works | Tesla Support).

I plan on ordering 3 Powerwalls so does that mean I will get 3 gateways even if I don't need all 3? For example, if I have a 100A or 200A panel, I would think 1 gateway would suffice. Would I get to keep the other 2 gateways if I decide to upgrade to 400A panel later?

Will Tesla only install the number of gates needed at time of installation and not give me the extra gateways that come with the Powerwalls? If this is the case, if I upgrade to 400A panel later, will I need to pay out of pocket for another gateway?

A gateway is around $1,800 right? So it wouldn't be good if I had to pay for it later.

Also, do you how many months for Tesla to install panels from when they create a design?
Gateway and Powerwall are separate items; they are used together but are not bundled 1 to 1. One gateway handles 200 Amps of grid feed.
400A would need to split into 2 200A feeds. There are threads with that type of configuration.

Do you mean time from when you place the order? depends on permits mostly, here it took 45 days for the permit approvals. Once I got the permit the install started in 10 days. The actual install was done in a day. The inspection was about a week after that.

Do you mean time from when you place the order? depends on permits mostly, here it took 45 days for the permit approvals. Once I got the permit the install started in 10 days. The actual install was done in a day. The inspection was about a week after that.
Yes, I'm trying to get grandfathered into NEM 2.0. I read the interconnection application with PG&E (Northern California) needs to be submitted before 4/14/23. After submitting the application, you have 3 years to complete the solar installation to still qualify for NEM 2.0. NEM 3.0 apparently pays you significantly less for the energy sold back to the grid.

I'm not sure how Tesla works, whether they're willing to submit the interconnection application before solar installation or only after solar installation. If Tesla submits the application after solar installation, I'll miss the deadline and may need to look into a local solar installer instead.

Anyone else know if Tesla will submit the interconnection application before solar installation?

It’s been almost 6 years but I think Tesla (Solarcity) submitted the interconnection very early on, at least 6 weeks before the install happens. Of course a lot of time has passed so I would really rather you get more recent information from someone in California. Good luck.

I hadn't seen these numbers released outside the installer trainings, it is good to see these published publically.
The US Manual is also available and has it listed in Table 9 (below).

1676411781086.png

Link to Manual

The manual and videos can be found publicly at:

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder and jhn_
The US Manual is also available and has it listed in Table 9 (below).

View attachment 907224

Link to Manual

The manual and videos can be found publicly at:
Good to know, that must be a recent addition. Glad to see that Tesla is allowing average users more of the technical information.